cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: people getting rid of their Leafs/EVs/PHEVs and going back to ICEVs

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:04 pm

DuncanCunningham wrote:
turbo2ltr wrote: I can't afford two car payments (I'm single).

ha ha ha ha.. sorry I read that I almost spat my drink out on the laptop... if you think you've not no money now, do not get married, its not a money multiplier, I can assure you of that (unless you count fractions).

LOL! The father of a friend of a friend of mine has a license plate frame that says
"driver carries no money
he's married".

When that friend of a friend got married, my friend also got him such a license plate frame. :)

I'm single and can afford two car payments. No problem. But, I paid cash... errr, check in full for both the ones I have now.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 am

cwerdna wrote:
cwerdna wrote:There's another guy @ work in that group who has a Volt. Long ago, I found he isn't driving it anymore and prefers the luxury of his (or his wife's) Lexus RX SUV. He then loaned the Volt to his mother-in-law. Sounds like she'll have it for probably the rest of the lease. He just doesn't care about the Volt or PHEVs. When the '16 Volt details came out, I asked him if he knew about it/cared. Nope. It sounds like he has no plans to get one either.

I bumped into the above guy in the restroom a few weeks ago. I asked him if his MIL still had the Volt. Nope. Long gone.

He said he *hated* his Volt. He summed it up to the "electronics" not working well. From the brief conversation I had, it his statement seemed to center around Bluetooth in his Volt not working well. Unclear what the issues were. He's probably the first person I've ever personally heard of who used the words hate about their Volt.

Sure, over time, I learned of a few folks on EV/PHEV groups or forums I'm on who had the (seemingly pretty rare) lemon Volt or problem Volt but it seemed like most everyone else liked or loved their Volt.

I talked to this guy briefly today asking if he's back to any EVs or PHEVs.

Nope. He now drives a 4Runner. He says he still has the Lexus RX (which is apparently a hybrid). He also mentioned they have a Prius v wagon.
cwerdna wrote:
cwerdna wrote:I forgot about another guy at work who I don't see much anymore. He had a '11 or '12 Leaf because of his girlfriend's work or something (company car?). I think she left that job or she had to turn that car in, for whatever reason. So, no more Leaf for him. I believe this is over a year ago. When I do see him, sometimes ask if he's going to get another Leaf or EV. He doesn't seem interested at all or (IIRC) gives some excuse of "no time".

I spoke to the above guy the other day. He still has no EV and still doesn't seem to care. He also driver a 4Runner now. The girlfriend is now his wife.

I said to him that he's not an EV enthusiast, to which he claimed he is. I countered, "well, you don't have one now and you don't seem to care to get one." He then mentioned how gas prices are cheap now, mentioned BMWs as being "cool" or something like that and mentioned I think the M3 and 635i. He seems to want a 6-series.

He mentions if they need to go on a long-road trip, they'd take his wife's PiP, for which she didn't bother get to green HOV stickers. CA has hit the issuance limit and it's not looking likely the cap will be raised again.

Can you imagine the general apathy outside of strong EV/PHEV regions? I'm in California, in Silicon Valley!

At last check, we had over 190 plug-in vehicles on our internal list at work and PLENTY of charging stations at work. Not all of them show up every day and some are mystery cars. And, I know some are missing from the list as well.

I spoke to this guy recently asking if he's going to get back to having an EV. His answer was "too lazy".

We now have over 300 plug-in vehicles on our internal list at work.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:54 am

I guess they have to "go back" to a 1999 ALL manual Corolla like I did. I have no doubt they would be looking for another EV then... Like Me

FYI; The day of my accident; Costco Gas $2.559

Gas Yesterday when filling up (again!) $2.819
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 5775 miles, 488 GIDs, 38 kwh 113.37 Ahr available, SOH 98.21, Hx 115.75
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cmwade77
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2017

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:I guess they have to "go back" to a 1999 ALL manual Corolla like I did. I have no doubt they would be looking for another EV then... Like Me

FYI; The day of my accident; Costco Gas $2.559

Gas Yesterday when filling up (again!) $2.819

At $2.819 I could consider driving our PHEV more than the Leaf (maybe not, but it would be more reasonable), really gas around here is at least $3.05 a gallon, although it is very hard to find it that low, a more normal price is about $3.50 a gallon and some stations are as high as $3.79 a gallon.

Seriously, driving our PHEV as our primary car was costing us around $150/month in gas, that has now dropped to about $20 total between gas and charging our Leaf.....really can't beat that. And a prime example is in the Leaf, we can take a road trip from Long Beach to San Diego and worst case scenario is about $6 round trip if the free quick chargers aren't available in each direction, normally we can do it for absolutely nothing, so no, I don't plan on giving up my Leaf to go to an ICE vehicle. To be honest, when the time comes, I want to get a long range BEV to replace our PHEV. You can't beat the price of free to power the vehicle, of course I will admit to being lucky enough to live near quite a few free chargers, we actually don't even have a way to plugin at home, even with the trickle charger, but really the city, as well as some vehicle manufactures, EVSE manufacturers and dealerships are willing to pay for the electricity to charge my car, why wouldn't I do that?

2011RedLeaf
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 3999

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Regarding the electronics on the Leaf/ Bluetooth. My 2017 would not link up to my old clam-shell phone. It will link fine to a newer (dumb) phone. Perhaps that was his complaint.
My (wrecked) 2011 Leaf did fine with the clam-shell.
Driving to work today, I passed a gas-station with $2.09

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 am

I kinda did, going to a Gen 2 Volt... I would have kept the 2011 Leaf since it had a new battery but Nissan wanted a ludicrous 12k+ to buy out the lease. I tracked it and saw that it finally sold a year later for $4,900 from a dealer...
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 am

In my case my situation has changed. I now need to drive over 140 miles in one trip as much as 4 times per week (but usually only twice) with only one area with L2 charging stations in the middle of the trip. I did make the Leaf do the trip all last summer which was ok except having to drive at 35mph with the heat or AC off for nearly 70 miles. But then winter set in and one day at -15°F I had to call a tow truck because I only made it 30 miles!
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05 am

I wrecked my car and it took two months for repair. The first month I had a Hertz rental Versa Note that got 31MPG according the dash gauge, The second month I had a Dealer C300 loaner. According to the web site it got 24MPG. There were no books in the car. I put in a total of $70 for gas and my electric bill for 2 months went down $100.

Really, I hated the noisy Versa so it was worth paying more for mt B250E.

I imagine a decent ICE would be cheaper to run at today's prices.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

GlennD wrote:I imagine a decent ICE would be cheaper to run at today's prices.

I don't know what you pay for electricity but I pay way less than that. My electric bill is about $15 to $20 higher driving the electric car. That's at about 10 cents per kWh (I think it's closer to 8 cents during the night). But I do charge off of free charging whenever I get a chance including at work, so my results may be different than anyone else's. But that's a whole lot less than the $40 I'm paying weekly to drive a borrowed 2014 Chevy Sonic that says it gets 39.7mpg.

My total operating costs in my Leaf would amount to less than $400 per month, perhaps as low as $300 per month, if I were to kept it for years to come. (Including depreciation, interest, insurance, tires, brake fluid flushes, 12V battery replacements, and traction battery replacements.)

Calculating the cheapest ICEV I can come up with is at least $500 per month average for the life of the vehicle, all things considered, with the exception of buying $500 or less cars that barely run and driving them a few months until they blow up and then buying another.

The only, and I repeat ONLY thing holding me back from keeping the Leaf is the range and lack of charging infrastructure.
2013 SL 50,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 am

GlennD wrote:I wrecked my car and it took two months for repair. The first month I had a Hertz rental Versa Note that got 31MPG according the dash gauge, The second month I had a Dealer C300 loaner. According to the web site it got 24MPG. There were no books in the car. I put in a total of $70 for gas and my electric bill for 2 months went down $100.

Really, I hated the noisy Versa so it was worth paying more for mt B250E.

I imagine a decent ICE would be cheaper to run at today's prices.

I know California has high electric rates with usage tiers (at some utilities) so an electric car could be more expensive to drive if it raised monthly kWh to the next tier, but electric driving is much cheaper than gas for me in Arizona. I am on a time of use plan with extra charge for 1-hour maximum peak demand so it would be expensive to charge on peak, but I charge only off peak at home for between $30 and $40 to drive about 1,500 miles per month. I will always drive electric for my around town driving and keep my other vehicles for longer trips.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”