Rumor: Leaf 2017 to get 40kWh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kensiko

This is a rumor that we heard from a few dealers. The Leaf 2017 will get an upgraded battery pack to 40 kWh in november. Base S will get the 30 kWh version as early as next month.

I think this rumor is likely true.

So would the 40kWh battery fit in the same space? If not I wonder where the extra bulk will fit.....
Now if Nissan will only get busy and start importing the eNV200, that with a 40kWh would be perfect for me :cool:

kensiko said:
This is a rumor that we heard from a few dealers. The Leaf 2017 will get an upgraded battery pack to 40 kWh in november. Base S will get the 30 kWh version as early as next month.

Why do you think it is likely true? Because you want it to be true? Because it came from a dealer? Sales people often event things.

kensiko said:

Those dealers have also been offering oil changes for Leaf. I think it's likely that there's a ICE hidden somewhere in there. ;)

DanCar said:
kensiko said:

Why do you think it is likely true? Because you want it to be true? Because it came from a dealer? Sales people often event things.

Because we had a similar rumor last year about 30 kWh battery, coming from dealers too.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Makes sense if they aren't going to the 2nd Gen until 2018.
I can see a lot of logic there, from a gradual improvement concept...

Unfortunately, with everyone thinking about the 200 mile car, and the Bolt coming out, and eventually the Model 3 (which doesn't even have to come out to keep people from buying something else ;-) ), I'm also thinking that 2018 might be a bit late..
Unless they can do so and come in priced significantly less than the competition..

Now, it won't help for me..
I'm doing 120 mile round trip commute, with charging stops of course..
I've decided I'm not going to upgrade until I can get something that will make that commute on 1 charge for a while.

I think a 40kWh pack might make that initially, but after some degradation I'm not so sure..
I can't always make it 60 with my 2012 now (mostly highway, so if traffic is moving 60+..).. And that's with a 24kWh pack (degraded). So how would a 40 kWh pack do after 3 years or so?

I think I'll be looking for a 45kWh pack at a minimum, and probably 50+..

Now, I'm an extreme (polite word for nuts) case.. But I also think other people are going to be thinking about that magic 200 mile range...

desiv

I'll give you that. The rest is on Facebook Ma Leaf Ma passion, all in French of course.

http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/batterie-40kw-vrai-ou-faux-td47770.html

desiv said:
But I also think other people are going to be thinking about that magic 200 mile range...

That does seem to be the magic number which may help more people open up to the idea of an EV. With the current range of 84~107 miles per charge for most EVs, many people don't even want to think about an EV even though their daily commute may be as little as 20-30 miles.

Though there will still be a market for 125~150 miles per charge range EVs, specially if the purchase or lease cost makes sense over the 200 miles per charge range which they may not even use. But eventually with battery costs going down and density increasing we will see much higher ranges and more people buying EVs.

inphoenix said:
kensiko said:

Those dealers have also been offering oil changes for Leaf. I think it's likely that there's a ICE hidden somewhere in there. ;)

LOL! I have gotten several of those oil change flyers from the dealer for my Leaf over the years...

kensiko said:
The Leaf 2017 will get an upgraded battery pack to 40 kWh in november.
jjeff said:
So would the 40kWh battery fit in the same space? If not I wonder where the extra bulk will fit.....
There is room farther back now that the electric parking brake has been replaced by a mechanical one.
kensiko said:
Base S will get the 30 kWh version as early as next month.
I'm glad to see the 24 kWh version go away. That should mean that all warranty and paid replacements will soon be 30 kWh.
kensiko said:
Sounds reasonable to me.

inphoenix said:
desiv said:
But I also think other people are going to be thinking about that magic 200 mile range...

That does seem to be the magic number which may help more people open up to the idea of an EV. With the current range of 84~107 miles per charge for most EVs, many people don't even want to think about an EV even though their daily commute may be as little as 20-30 miles.

Though there will still be a market for 125~150 miles per charge range EVs, specially if the purchase or lease cost makes sense over the 200 miles per charge range which they may not even use. But eventually with battery costs going down and density increasing we will see much higher ranges and more people buying EVs.

well it is our nature to gravitate to "more is better" which is why I only know a handful of people living in houses that fit their needs including one couple in a 5500 sq ft home (they only had 2 kids so they NEVER needed that much space) who claim to be green but burn enough electricity in a few hours every time I visit them to power my entire home for a month.

but 40 kwh would be enough to cover nearly everything I want to do. sure it would not be without compromise but a 200 mile EV has compromises as well; "eat or buy car"...

Since it is very likely the Leaf 2.0 has a 60kWh pack that is barely larger than the current 24 / 30 kWh pack, it seem more likely we will see a 60kWh in the highest range option. I hope we see the Leaf 2.0 before 2018, because if we do not - the Bolt EV will steal most of Leaf sales. Because it is coming later this year, or early next year - with a 60kWh pack. For basically the same price as today's 30kWh Leaf.

This is very interesting to me. I have decided that the 30kwh pack isn't quite large enough for me to want to invest the money in leasing or buying a 2016 SV, and have been thinking I'd probably get a Bolt. If they combine the 40kwh pack with features like an adjustable SOC setting like my 2013 has, I might well get another leaf SV.

LeftieBiker said:
... If they combine the 40kwh pack with features like an adjustable SOC setting like my 2013 has....
From what I've read about the '13 model year I don't think they'd ever go with the simple 80% option as for whatever reason the EPA wouldn't give the Leaf the full 100% range, instead I believe they split the difference between 80 and 100%. Now apparently Tesla has a much more expanded range they allow stopping charging and again for whatever reason they rate the Tesla @ 100%(as they should IMO) so maybe Nissan would do something similar to the Tesla? It sure would be nice, especially for a battery with a larger capacity where you could probably stop charging <100% most of the time without a problem but for maximum range you'd have the option to charge to 100%.

kensiko said:
I'll give you that. The rest is on Facebook Ma Leaf Ma passion, all in French of course.

http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/batterie-40kw-vrai-ou-faux-td47770.html

Chrome did a good job translating the pages. It seems like a number of dealers there are talking about a 2017 Leaf with 40KWh batteries.

Nissan is certainly drawing down inventory of the '16 model right now, which might be another data point as it would be tough and pricey to move a 107 mile car when there's a 140 mile car sitting right next to it on the lot. There is less than a two month supply of Leafs on dealer lots at the moment which is historically low for this model and for Nissan products in general.

If the 40 kWh Leaf materializes for the '17 model year it's a pretty exciting indicator for the pace of energy density and price reduction in regards to EVs. I know it's not apples to apples, but within one model cycle the Leaf will have gone from (EPA) 73 -> 84 -> 107 -> 140 miles at similar price points, pack dimensions, and pack weights. Pretty exciting stuff!

Back