2016 Leaf SL Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanpuge

Sorry guys, I have been trying to research how to change the battery charging to 80% with the 2016 Nissan Leaf.
No luck.

Is there anyone who can help or a tutorial to change the settings from 100% charging to 80% charging?
All i can see from the internet is from 2015 and lower. I cant find it in the manual either.
Thank you very much.

Only the 2013 Leaf lets you do that as a limit setting in the car. 2011-2012 Leafs will allow it as a charge timer setting. Nissan dropped the feature after the EPA changed the car's range estimate because of it. You'll just have to note how many percent of a charge you get per hour with your charging setup, and either set a charge end time, or just unplug the car at the right time. I'll miss that feature when I turn in my 2013.

LeftieBiker said:
Only the 2013 Leaf lets you do that as a limit setting in the car. 2011-2012 Leafs will allow it as a charge timer setting. Nissan dropped the feature after the EPA changed the car's range estimate because of it. You'll just have to note how many percent of a charge you get per hour with your charging setup, and either set a charge end time, or just unplug the car at the right time. I'll miss that feature when I turn in my 2013.

thanks for confirming.
Does the 80% charging set up really helps the battery life?

ryanpuge said:
LeftieBiker said:

thanks for confirming.
Not necessarily. The main point is to not let the car sit charged at 80% or higher for too long of a period.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
ryanpuge said:
LeftieBiker said:

thanks for confirming.
Not necessarily. The main point is to not let the car sit charged at 80% or higher for too long of a period.

So putting the charging timer will help? I usually charge at night and consume around 50% in my daily commute.
so charging it for good 3 hours will be enough to prolong the battery?
Thanks.

Either charging to 100% with a timer set to finish when you leave (it usually finishes early) or setting a timer to finish an hour or two after you leave (to get an 80 or 90% charge) is about all you need to do to prolong battery life with regard to charging. Also try to avoid charging it when more than 6 (5 is even better) battery temp bars are showing on the dash gauge.

ryanpuge said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
ryanpuge said:
thanks for confirming.

So putting the charging timer will help? I usually charge at night and consume around 50% in my daily commute.
Thanks.

Periodically (every 7 to 10 days) charging to 100% is necessary to keep the cells balanced. Charging to 100% on the days you drive the car is not a problem. Letting it sit at 100% for extended periods of time (especially in hot weather) is not good for the battery. Since you consume about 50% per day, it should be sitting below 80% for most of the day, which is good. I would suggest setting the charge timer to start around 3am, on the days you work, so it will be charged and ready to go when you are. Don't charge on your off days, unless you need the range to go somewhere.

baustin said:
ryanpuge said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:

Thanks.

Periodically (every 7 to 10 days) charging to 100% is necessary to keep the cells balanced. Charging to 100% on the days you drive the car is not a problem. Letting it sit at 100% for extended periods of time (especially in hot weather) is not good for the battery. Since you consume about 50% per day, it should be sitting below 80% for most of the day, which is good. I would suggest setting the charge timer to start around 3am, on the days you work, so it will be charged and ready to go when you are. Don't charge on your off days, unless you need the range to go somewhere.

This is really helpful.
Thanks a lot.

LeftieBiker said:
Either charging to 100% with a time set to finish when you leave (it usually finishes early) or setting a timer to finish an hour or two after you leave (to get an 80 or 90% charge) is about all you need to do to prolong battery life with regard to charging. Also try to avoid charging it when more than 6 (5 is even better) battery temp bars showing on the dash.

This is really helpful too.
thanks a lot.

Back