cwerdna
Posts: 6430
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:20 am

evnow wrote:So, I won't expect a 200+ Leaf anytime soon - since it didn't come with '17 model, as some of us had hoped.

It is possible that the '17 model year is a short one and an '18 could come early...

If Nissan's doesn't have a 200+ mile EPA range EV w/price similar to a Bolt by say beginning of Q4 2017, I think they're going to see Leaf sales/leases in the US really tank unless Bolt availability is poor or it turns out to be a piece of crap or Nissan does massive discounting.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Posts: 11453
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 pm

cwerdna wrote:
evnow wrote:So, I won't expect a 200+ Leaf anytime soon - since it didn't come with '17 model, as some of us had hoped.

It is possible that the '17 model year is a short one and an '18 could come early...

If Nissan's doesn't have a 200+ mile EPA range EV w/price similar to a Bolt by say beginning of Q4 2017, I think they're going to see Leaf sales/leases in the US really tank unless Bolt availability is poor or it turns out to be a piece of crap or Nissan does massive discounting.


of course its possible and its what I have been predicting for a long time. Its not like Nissan hasn't done it before with the LEAF. I predict early Q3
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 6190 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 102ish% kwh 28.1
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Is Gen 2 LEAF Carlos Ghosn's "major technological breakthrough" to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:36 am

edatoakrun wrote:Maybe there'll be two BEV reveals at CES?

Fiat Chrysler Said to Reveal Full Electric Vehicle at CES

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will reveal a fully electric vehicle based on the Chrysler Pacifica minivan at CES in Las Vegas next month as the carmaker moves to get in step with the industry’s shift toward electric vehicles...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social


Apparently, no new F/C BEV next week:

Electric Chrysler Pacifica Absent From FCA's CES Plans

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has just announced its plans for CES 2017 and an all-electric Chrysler Pacifica is notably absent.

Previous reports have suggested that the brand was preparing to unveil an electric Pacifica at CES, but in a press release, it doesn't get a mention, with FCA instead focusing on its fourth-generation Uconnect system, the Uconnec Theater and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, the industry's first electrified minivan.

It was thought that Chrysler had opted to unveil an electric Pacifica just a few months after the hybrid variant, and even if it doesn't debut at CES, that doesn't mean it isn't being developed...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/12/electr ... -from.html

Let's hope there is at least one new BEV reveal at CES, Nissan's...
no condition is permanent

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:59 am

cwerdna wrote:If Nissan's doesn't have a 200+ mile EPA range EV w/price similar to a Bolt by say beginning of Q4 2017, I think they're going to see Leaf sales/leases in the US really tank ...
I read this and thought "haven't they already tanked?" -- but then I looked at the plug-in sales scorecard and it looks like they should hit 13K this year, and while it's still a decline, it's not as steep as I thought it would have been.
'13 SL+Prem leased new 4/14Model S 75D.
Model 3 reservation.
Likelihood to buy a LEAF2: not so good.

DanCar
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 am

jlv wrote:
cwerdna wrote:If Nissan's doesn't have a 200+ mile EPA range EV w/price similar to a Bolt by say beginning of Q4 2017, I think they're going to see Leaf sales/leases in the US really tank ...
I read this and thought "haven't they already tanked?" -- but then I looked at the plug-in sales scorecard and it looks like they should hit 13K this year, and while it's still a decline, it's not as steep as I thought it would have been.
There are often incentives here in the bay area where they are offered for nearly for free. And perhaps really for free if a someone has a big gas bill to take into account. If more people where aware of the deals I would think sales would double.

Really is a very nice car for new student, and the lease price can't be beat.

edatoakrun
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhpgQHw6RF4

Ambitious concept, and this BEV (but no production-ready BEV) will be officially premiered by F/C at CES.

Chrysler Unveils Portal Electric Minivan – 100 kWh Battery & 250 Miles Of Range (w/video)

Leave it to Chrysler, the minivan pioneer, to come forth with the first long-range, all-electric minivan.

Called Portal and purely a concept for now, this minivan packs a 100 kWh battery pack that’s good for some 250 miles of purely electric driving bliss. It’s front-wheel-drive and features a single electric motor.

Chrysler says that Portal can recharge at a rate of up to 350 kW, which means it can be juiced back up from empty to 150 miles of range in just 20 minutes or so.

Apparently “350 kW” is now the future-tense catch rate for charging, as the Chrysler EV could take full advantage of both the Europe-wide network which begins construction this year (400+ stations) and also EVgo’s first ever US-based 350 kW station being constructed now...

We’ll have more on Portal when it get revealed in full CES 2017...

http://insideevs.com/chrysler-unveils-p ... -of-range/

edatoakrun wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:Maybe there'll be two BEV reveals at CES?

Fiat Chrysler Said to Reveal Full Electric Vehicle at CES

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV will reveal a fully electric vehicle based on the Chrysler Pacifica minivan at CES in Las Vegas next month as the carmaker moves to get in step with the industry’s shift toward electric vehicles...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social


Apparently, no new F/C BEV next week:

Electric Chrysler Pacifica Absent From FCA's CES Plans

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has just announced its plans for CES 2017 and an all-electric Chrysler Pacifica is notably absent.

Previous reports have suggested that the brand was preparing to unveil an electric Pacifica at CES, but in a press release, it doesn't get a mention, with FCA instead focusing on its fourth-generation Uconnect system, the Uconnec Theater and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, the industry's first electrified minivan.

It was thought that Chrysler had opted to unveil an electric Pacifica just a few months after the hybrid variant, and even if it doesn't debut at CES, that doesn't mean it isn't being developed...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/12/electr ... -from.html

Let's hope there is at least one new BEV reveal at CES, Nissan's...
no condition is permanent

Firetruck41
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:36 am
Leaf Number: 408264
Location: SW Washington State

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:57 pm

A Chevrolet Bolt would get almost 400 miles with that pack! ;)
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

edatoakrun
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Recent comments from CG suggests today's announcement may be more about AVs than EVs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJOGZX6_WVc

Jan 4, 2017
Hands-free: What it’s like to “Drive” an autonomous drive car – by Carlos Ghosn


...Today, I experienced the unusual, thrilling sensation of riding in the driver's seat of an autonomous-drive car as it navigated the streets of Sunnyvale in California's Silicon Valley.

The car is an advanced prototype Infiniti Q50 sedan capable of handling complex city driving. It has a special California registration for autonomous drive vehicles, and I had to receive a special state license to operate it hands-free.

What struck me was how quickly I grew comfortable as the car smoothly and safely negotiated the suburban streets, including intersections and dense traffic. Accompanied by a Nissan engineer, we simply set the destination, put the car in autonomous drive mode, and off we went – safely, without a hitch.

We went on both the freeway and city streets; there were times when other drivers cut in on us, but never did we feel threatened. Each time the car anticipated the other car's move and reacted appropriately.

As I mentioned in a recent post, cars that can change lanes on their own, negotiate city streets and handle the drudgery of stop-and-go traffic are coming soon. In fact, the Renault-Nissan Alliance has committed to launch at least 10 models with significant autonomous drive functionality by 2020.

As these technologies advance, the auto industry has an unprecedented opportunity to make our roads much safer while giving drivers a less stressful and more productive commuting experience.

Today (January 5), I will present our vision of an autonomous and connected future at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. You can watch it live here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa4zRPGyHJg

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -drive-car
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:52 pm

edatoakrun wrote:Recent comments from CG suggests today's announcement may be more about AVs than EVs:..

Watch it here:

https://www.periscope.tv/Nissan/1kvJpdnALMZJE?t=24m20s#
no condition is permanent

edatoakrun
Posts: 4175
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Gen 2 LEAF AND a new Fiat Chrysler BEV to be announced at CES on 1/5/2017?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Jan 5, 2017
PRESS KIT: Nissan Intelligent Mobility at CES

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn announces at CES breakthrough technologies
and partnerships to deliver zero-emissions, zero-fatality mobility


News At-a-Glance

On January 5, 2017 during his CES keynote Nissan chairman of the board and chief executive officer Carlos Ghosn announced several advancements as part of the Nissan Intelligent Mobility blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into wider society. Highlights included:

The launch of Nissan' breakthrough Seamless Autonomous Mobility (SAM) system. Developed from NASA technology, SAM partners in-vehicle artificial intelligence (AI) with human support to help autonomous vehicles make decisions in unpredictable situations and build the knowledge of in-vehicle AI. This technology will enable millions of driverless cars to co-exist with human drivers in an accelerated timeline. It is part of Nissan Intelligent Integration...

A new Nissan LEAF will be coming in the near future. The model will be equipped with ProPILOT technology, enabling autonomous drive functionality for single-lane highway driving. This new LEAF will build on the company's leadership in electric vehicles, which includes more than 250,000 Nissan LEAFs sold worldwide since 2010. The new LEAF represents the next chapter of Nissan Intelligent Power...

The world is facing serious challenges such as climate change, traffic congestion, road fatalities and increasing air pollution. Nissan is committed to addressing these challenges by making transportation safer, smarter, and more enjoyable, with the ultimate goal of achieving zero-emissions and zero-fatalities on the road. Nissan Intelligent Mobility is the roadmap.

Guided by the vision of mobility for all, Nissan is implementing these innovations by bringing them from luxury segments to compact high volume models and ensuring everyone has access to the benefits. Nissan is making cars exciting partners for all of our customers...

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... ity-at-ces

Highlights of the Video of the CES presentation at the link, IMO:

~38 minutes, the essential role of humans in supporting AV's, by using a remotely located human, BUT NOT relying on an on-board driver to take on this responsibility.

Makes perfect sense to me. What are your young kids, elderly parents (or you when you are taking a nap) expected do when your auto pilot demands someone grab the wheel?

~57 minutes, Importance of V-to Grid and V to Home capability to maximize the utility of BEVs.

Sounds like we'll be hearing a lot more about this in a few days at Detroit:

Nissan at 2017 North American International Auto Show

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23214
no condition is permanent

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”