rwherrick
Delivery Date: 03 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0445

Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
I decided to start a new thread, since it was really hard to find any information on Nissan's "Out-of-Warranty" support on this forum. This mostly applies to 2011 and 2012 model Leaf owners, at least for now. Also, the discussion on all the existing threads implies that warranty battery replacement is an "all-or-nothing" affair: if your battery drops below 9 bars in 5 years and 60,000 miles, you get a free replacement, and if it drops a month or two later, you get nothing but the 90-day charging card (worth $25?). This is no longer true for many owners I know, as I will explain.
I first heard about Nissan's "out-of-warranty" program in the comments of another EV news site. My Leaf dropped the 4th bar at 48.4k miles and 66 months, so it seemed worth filing a claim. I called the toll-free EV number (1-877-NO GAS EV, or 1-877-664-2738), and requested the "out-of-warranty" assistance. You need your VIN number, current mileage, how old the car is (they can look that up), and answer a number of other questions. It takes about 10 minutes to open a case. They then pull your service records, and look at the car history - something that takes about 3 business days. If you lost the 4th bar just after the warranty expired, and took good care of the car, including having regular service performed, got the battery tests done, and got favorable scores on them, you have a reasonable chance of getting pro-rated support from Nissan. In my case, they picked up 75% of the cost, and I paid the other 25% of the cost, which was $1,564 plus tax. My friend lost his 4th bar at 61 months and 51.1k miles, and didn't miss any service appointments for the regular service. Nissan picked up 90% of the replacement cost of his battery, so he'll only have to pay 10%. The pro-rated settlements are not rare, and they've done a number of them at dealerships all over our area for owners of 2011 cars that have just passed the 5-year warranty limit. I would encourage anyone who has lost the 4th bar shortly after the warranty limit, and has kept up on the service, to consider filing a claim, and seeing if they can get partial support.
This has really improved my impression of Nissan. Like many other forum members, I felt like they had walked away from the brand (after investing $6.4B in the product launch), and were failing to support their product. Like others, I was planning on never buying another Nissan product again if all I got was the charging card, and had to buy a replacement battery in half the time it should have lasted. But after this pro-rated post-warranty support, I feel like it's a fair settlement. Hopefully in time, Nissan will be able to rebuild the reputation of the Leaf, and match the lower battery degradation numbers most other car manufacturers are obtaining. I'm glad the newer Leafs also have a better battery warranty on them.
- Bob

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Re: Nissan "Out-of-Warranty" support for battery pack degradation

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:18 pm

rwherrick wrote:Hi Everyone,
Hopefully in time, Nissan will be able to rebuild the reputation of the Leaf, and match the lower battery degradation numbers most other car manufacturers are obtaining. I'm glad the newer Leafs also have a better battery warranty on them.
- Bob

I suspect they decided to unofficially extend the warranty on the older ones to match the newer ones on the pro-rated basis for customer retention. That, and the fact that the battery has an 8 year warranty to not go 100% out on you, I'm sure that the vagueness of the 8 year warranty might make them open to some legal action like happened before under the 5 year warranty. It's easy to see in the new warranty matches the terms of the class action settlement for the older ones.

That said, if I don't get a warranty replacement on mine before it hits the 5 year, 60,000 mile mark, and I am able to get an out of warranty replacement pro-rated, I certainly will keep my Leaf probably to 2020, or 2022. We just had the transmission replaced on our 2014 Nissan Versa (CVT version) at 45,000 miles. If the transmission hadn't just been replaced, we were planning on getting rid of it before the 60,000 mile mark due to problems with it. Now we may consider keeping it purely for long distance trips and getting another EV as my wife's main ride.

Hopefully Nissan is deciding to pay more attention to customer retention.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in late 2018.

drees

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:58 pm

Like I said in the other thread you were lucky.

Nissan has denied plenty of out-of-warranty assistance to people just outside of warranty, like me and didn't give me any indication that they cared about me as a customer.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

thimel
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:39 pm

I took my 2011 LEAF in for its five year battery check. I have lost three capacity bars. The service advisor strongly encouraged me to bring it back when I lost the fourth bar. Said they we're doing partial payments for battery replacements. I was happily surprised by this and plan to do so when the time comes. If it is true, I will also feel much better about Nissan than I did before.

rpmdk

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 am

Apparently I've stayed away from the forum too long. I didn't realize people were getting out of warranty assistance.

I got one of the first 500 LEAFs back in 2011. I babied the battery as much as I could, and my reward was dropping the 4th bar 3 months after the warranty expired. I just called the NO-GAS line. For them to proceed with a case I need to get another battery test which will cost around $100. Before I spend that money I wanted to see if people have been having much luck going this route.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I called the 877 Nissan number and spoke to Brian about my battery (down 4 bars at 50,000 miles). The car is 6 years and 4 months old, so way out of warranty. He said I needed to get a battery test before he could help me, but hinted that they would offer to help in some way (no promises). Had test done locally for $79, and sent him the results. He came back in 3 days with an 80/20% deal (I pay 20% for the replacement). I'm in the process of getting it ordered now...

So, by all means, call the 877 no gas ev number and see what they'll do. They seem to be helping several folks out locally with a similar deal, so that's good news....

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Durandal wrote:[That, and the fact that the battery has an 8 year warranty to not go 100% out on you,

What does this mean ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

SageBrush

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm

drees wrote:Like I said in the other thread you were lucky.

Nissan has denied plenty of out-of-warranty assistance to people just outside of warranty, like me and didn't give me any indication that they cared about me as a customer.

Seems worth your time to try again.

SageBrush

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

These reports of a quasi pro-rata warranty are VERY welcome news. I sure hope that Nissan makes it official and published.

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

SageBrush wrote:
drees wrote:Like I said in the other thread you were lucky.

Seems worth your time to try again.

The old story that "if you don't get the answer you want from one phone agent, hang up and call another one" would be applicable here
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”