2017 MY Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

2017 MY prices, features, and options all at these links:

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-announces-u-s-pricing-for-2017-leaf

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/2017-nissan-leaf-the-world-s-best-selling-electric-vehicle-offers-more-than-100-miles-of-range-for-all-grades

Any surprises to anyone?

I hope we don't have to wait till next November, for the 2018 MY announcement...

So the main change is they eliminated the 24-kWh battery from the S trim level? If that's it, they can expect to sell very few MY2017 LEAFs.

By the end of 2018 there will likely be so many other, better options that the Leaf may increasingly become just an asterisk... A seven year - or greater - refresh cycle is simply insane... What the hell is wrong with Nissan?! One wonders if we will actually see a model 3 before we see a new Leaf... ;)

I work CES for two weeks each year so will see if Ghosn has something more to say of substance when he gives the keynote in January...

RegGuheert said:
So the main change is they eliminated the 24-kWh battery from the S trim level? If that's it, they can expect to sell very few MY2017 LEAFs.

RegGuheert said:
Nope.

~24 kWh was already eliminated in late 2016 MY, but the 2017 S list price looks to have been lowered to $30,680, but with DC port and ~6.6 kW on-board charger again optional:

...The base price of the 2016 Leaf S with the 30 kWh battery and Quick Charge Package is $32,450 before any federal, state or regional incentives are applied...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106593_nissan-leaf-s-quietly-gets-30-kwh-battery-upgrade-higher-price

edatoakrun said:
I hope we don't have to wait till next November, for the 2018 MY announcement...
+1 on this.

I don't understand releasing the 2017 now, with these prices and these specs. The Bolt release is just around the corner and people are going to cross shop them. Ugh. That is going to be a bad comparison for Nissan.

If they had just made the small improvements they could easily have made, like adjustable charge level (or even the return of the 80% option) and good headlights, people like me might heave a sigh and get another Leaf. If the 2017 really is the same car as this year, then Nissan has committed self-sabotage. I don't want to lease a car with fewer good features than the one I drive now.

Posted below are some reports (or rumors?) we can chew on...

More information on the 2017 Nissan Leaf

After Nissan recently announced that the 2017 Nissan Leaf would remain basically the same, with the small difference of the 30 kWh battery become standard on all trims, everybody got disappointed...

Even before Nissan released the 2017 Nissan Leaf specs, I got the information that the Nissan Leaf would have two different variants...

This means that we’ll see Nissan selling two Leaf variants side by side until the original model is phased out...

The other information I got is that the new battery is already in production at Sunderland, United Kingdom and will also be available to the Nissan e-NV200 electric van. It won’t be the same as the one used in Renault Zoe made with LG Chem battery cells...

Last but not least, the Nissan electric car based in the IDS concept with the 60 kWh battery won’t be here before 2018.
http://pushevs.com/2016/11/11/information-2017-nissan-leaf/

I take that to mean that Nissan predicts no competition for almost a year. This is a strong indication that speculation about Bolt--or Tesla 3 or what have you-- being just around the corner should be given little weight.

It's because trump won, they likely assume that the bolt will huh Cali and be a compliance car for a long time.

michaelt said:
I take that to mean that Nissan predicts no competition for almost a year. This is a strong indication that speculation about Bolt--or Tesla 3 or what have you-- being just around the corner should be given little weight.

That will surprise the people who have actually ordered Bolts to be built in the next few weeks.

michaelt said:
Huh?

In that case it would no sense for Nissan to wait. Being the first to market with a 200-mile affordable EV will be a big deal. In any case it appears GM will get there first with the Bolt.

What makes sense to me is that Nissan must feel that what they had planned for the Gen II LEAF is not competitive and decided to spend more time improving it rather than launching a car which would fail in the marketplace. They can slow-roll the current LEAF in the meantime.

I have not studied business, but looks like Nissan is getting as much mileage as they can on the original Leaf manufacturing structure. It would save money, especially since they do not have any competition at this time.. If they came out with a GREAT Leaf II now, they would be making enemies of all current Leaf owners (who would be mad that they now own older, "obsolete" technology)....

I Think that Nissans is calling the bluff of Chevy and Tesla, because they have not brought the BOLT or Tesla to market, and may not actually deliver as soon as they say...

If I was Nissan, I would be quietly ramping up with the next version Leaf, with equal or better specs than the "soon to be " cars, and then offer the improved Leaf when they are forced to show their cars....

This looks like a game of poker, and Nissan is not going to raise, if the other players have not yet made a bet and put it on the table....

I have not studied business, but looks like Nissan is getting as much mileage as they can on the original Leaf manufacturing structure. It would save money, especially since they do not have any competition at this time..

Not to sound like a broken record, but there are numerous small fixes (charge timer, headlights, steering wheel heater thermostat) they could have made, using the exact same car, that would have made the MY2017 at least worth a look. Instead, they seem to have left all the annoying little flaws untouched. Meh.

LeftieBiker said:
michaelt said:

That will surprise the people who have actually ordered Bolts to be built in the next few weeks.

True in pockets of the US and Europe, the Bolt will slowly become available. World wide, Nissan still sells plenty of Leafs in areas that will not get competition for almost a year (if not more). So it looks to me like they are milking their current design in those markets, while taking a little extra time on Leaf 2.0. I hope this means that they realized they have to meet or beat the Bolt/Model III with the Leaf 2.0, even if they take a while to get there. A 40kWh / 150-mile Leaf will not cut it in 2018.

RegGuheert said:
What makes sense to me is that Nissan must feel that what they had planned for the Gen II LEAF is not competitive and decided to spend more time improving it rather than launching a car which would fail in the marketplace. They can slow-roll the current LEAF in the meantime.

This has been my sense as well, although I am still holding out a little hope for some definitive LEAF 2.0 news before the end of the year.

Our lease extension will be up in February 2017 and was hoping to have a good next-generation choice from Nissan to consider by now.

As deficient as it is in some ways, purchasing our 2012 (not a fan of leasing) may still be the best option until all the next gen EVs are widely available in two or three years.

LeftieBiker said:
michaelt said:

Given the 2-year delay in deliveries of Tesla's model X, there should be hardly any surprise at all.

Given the 2-year delay in deliveries of Tesla's Model X, there should be hardly any surprise at all.

There are Bolt preproduction cars out there being test driven now. Do you really think that in two weeks GM will tell the people with orders for cars to be built this month "Sorry, but we'll build them in a year or two"?

I have no knowledge about orders taken for Bolts. If there are such orders, I am sure GM made sure to include a clause about no guarantee as to the time of delivery.

Back