Looking for Battery Capacity Warranty documents

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikke

I'm looking for the documentation that explains when Nissan will replace my traction battery and cover the full cost.
I can't find it.

My 2012 leaf with 30k has 55Amp hours left and and seems to be on track to qualify for a battery replacment.
I've read alot on this forum about the 5 years/60,000 mile capacity warranty.
I've looked through all the pages of battery notifications i was given at the time of sale, and the user manual and warranty manual but i don't see a capacity warranty explained any where.

Any one know where it is in writing?
I'm goiong to call Nissan this week too.

Thanks
Rick

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe you just need to contact Nissan with the VIN, and then have a dealer verify the battery status and mileage. You shouldn't have to prove anything else except that you own the car.

Rikke said:
I'm looking for the documentation that explains when Nissan will replace my traction battery and cover the full cost.
I can't find it.

My 2012 leaf with 30k has 55Amp hours left and and seems to be on track to qualify for a battery replacment.
I've read alot on this forum about the 5 years/60,000 mile capacity warranty.
I've looked through all the pages of battery notifications i was given at the time of sale, and the user manual and warranty manual but i don't see a capacity warranty explained any where.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13192

The capacity warranty didn't exist when the '11 and '12 were first sold, so of course it's not in the warranty booklet of those cars. We didn't know about it until the above. Previous owners/lessees should've received snail mail about the addition of the capacity warranty.

You said "55Amp hours left". Is that from Leaf Spy? If so, you may have 11 or 12 capacity bars remaining. From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=455984#p455984, I would say that unless you're in a hot climate, you will probably not be down to 8 capacity bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty expires and thus no free battery for you.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Thanks for the link to the letter. I bought my 2012 leaf in October 2013 so I was aware of that capacity warranty and recall the dealer telling me about it and showing me a bunch of yellow pages that describe the warranty what I needed to do. So now I understand why it's not in my warranty booklet, because they didn't give me a 2013 booklet. I got the booklet the car showed up with.

You might also want to read "Amended Settlement in Klee v. Nissan"
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18905&hilit=klee

It's 49 pages, so you might want to start somewhere towards the end, but the basic facts are as noted, 5 years from the "in service" date of the vehicle OR 60,000 miles, as indicated on the odometer. It has further been established that 5 years and two days, or 60,002 miles, is NOT within the warranty period, and should you encounter such circumstances your success with Nissan is questionable.

The general consensus is that the settlement actually ended up being extremely unfair to early adopters, as the warranty was not prorated, but should have been for some period extending the agreed upon limits, and incredibly the court was gullible enough to accept Nissan's promise of "about 70% remaining capacity" being eight capacity bars remaining, where Nissan determines the algorithm for the capacity bars, and when in fact "about 70%" to Nissan means somewhere around 62% or 63%. It is my understanding that the settlement makes no requirement of the ridiculous "annual battery check" which Nissan had originally implemented, with the first two or three being free, and after that customers were required to pay. I will tell you that I was seven capacity bars down, five remaining, and my "annual battery check" remained at 5 stars for every category. The people at the Nissan dealership were so confused by this that they had to call Nissan and verify it.

Also, one last point of contention is the "in service" date, which in general is the purchase date, but can be, for dealership demos, the date the dealership put the LEAF into service. It is important to verify this date, as previously mentioned even a day or two can be a $6K dollar penalty. In my case, Nissan customer service basically refused to verify it, and I ultimately had to file a BBB case just to find out. But I did end up getting the battery replaced under warranty, at 59,988 miles. :D

Rikke said:

Mine dropped the 4th bar at ~41.2AHr. The good news is you still appear to have a very healthy battery. The bad is that you are a long way from qualifying for a replacement.

Back