Did all 2013 and newer SV's have QC and battery heater?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendler2112

I'm getting ready to send my buyer to the auction. Did all 2013 SV's come with a quick charge port? Battery heater? Heat pump, heated steering wheel, alloy wheels? So it would be safe for me to just tell him to get a 2013 or newer Leaf with alloy wheels.

They all came with all of those items except QC - that was optional, and mine doesn't have it. If you make a generic request, remember to specify "SV" as the S won't have several of those. QC was also an option on the S, not standard. If the car (SV) doesn't have Premium Package with the 4 camera system, it may not have a backup camera at all - that was another option in '13.

I believe they made the cold weather package standard in 2012 for all models and that included the battery heater. The 2011s could get the cold weather package as an option about mid-year, but not initially. I am not sure the 2011s with a cold weather option had a battery heater.

If you live in a cold weather climate, the S model should be avoided as it doesn't have the heat pump.

LeftieBiker said:
They all came with all of those items except QC - that was optional, and mine doesn't have it. .
Good to know. This is as much a hobby and green statement for me as well as transportation. I would never "need" QC on a daily basis but would miss not being able to play with it once in a while. Assuming we actually ever get any quick chargers in our area. Along the thruway perhaps. I also have to have the battery heater which I assume became standard at some point.

sendler2112 said:
I also have to have the battery heater which I assume became standard at some point.
Yes by '12 the battery heater was standard on all Leafs and remain that way to this day.
Personally I wouldn't be afraid of a S model with the QC(and upgraded charger package) but I seem to be in the minority. Also note at some point Nissan dropped the rear seat heaters(and maybe steering wheel heat??) on lower trim models. This was not the case at least up to '14, not sure about after that.

jjeff said:
Personally I wouldn't be afraid of a S model with the QC(and upgraded charger package) .
Agree. The loss of the heat pump won't make a huge difference to my average energy efficiency since I am 80% highway at 65 mph and use a lot of energy just to move down the road. But I have to have the steering wheel heater to economize and the bigger charger. And want to be able to play with quick charge going forward. I thought I could make it easy on my buyer to just get an SV and automatically get everything I wanted but apparently he will still have to look under the charge door. I also wouldn't mind having the additional online features of the premium package. There should also be 14"s heading to the auction by now but it seems strange that even though they outsold 13"s, there are so far none showing up.

sendler2112 said:
I thought I could make it easy on my buyer to just get an SV and automatically get everything I wanted but apparently he will still have to look under the charge door. I also wouldn't mind having the additional online features of the premium package. There should also be 14"s heading to the auction by now but it seems strange that even though they outsold 13"s, there are so far none showing up.

SL should have everything (13s might not have backup cameras without premium package). With the SV you can tell if it has quick charge just by looking at the headlights, since the LED headlights came in the same package (the LEDs have three "levels" inside instead of the two "levels" that the standard lights do). The 14 model year was really short. And by "additional online features of the premium package" do you mean Carwings? That's a standard feature of all SV and SL models and is tied to having navigation (if it has Nav, it has Carwings). Note that for 2014 and earlier you have to pay $199 to get the TCU replaced with one that still works after AT&T shut down their 2G network this year. 2015s get that upgrade for free and 2016s and later don't need it.

I also wouldn't buy a leaf without running LeafSpy on it. At the very least you need to see the number of bars on the battery meter on the dash and assume that the car has one less bar than listed since it could lose the current bar at any time. I bought a 2015 SV with 22,000 miles that was already down to 95%, but I've seen people pick up 2013s with comparable mileage with between 97% to 80% health (or less).

See the following guide for assistance: http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/

Any northern USA lease turn in 2013 Leaf with 30,000 miles will have similar battery capacity remaining and be quite a bargain for an SV at $8,500. I won't have the luxury of running Leafspy first but feel confident they will all be about the same in this area. At this cheap buy in, purchasing a new battery for $6,000 3-4 years down the road still makes the car a much better value than a 2017.

You might be surprised. I used Leaf Spy on maybe 6 or 7 different cars, all 2013 or 2014 between 19k and 48k miles and the results were all over the place. I bought the best battery I found, and it just happened to have the perfect options package for me :)

Anyway what I saw was interesting, on the low end the 19k mile '13 SL had 54Ah, it showed 12/12 bars but either was about to drop or had been reset. I also saw a 48k mile '13 S that measured 57Ah, that was the highest mileage car I drove. I saw a '13 SV with about 29k and it was 51Ah, it also showed 12 bars so I'm guessing had been reset. The '13 I bought showed 61.8Ah and it has now climbed to 64Ah, it has 29k miles. Interestingly (or maybe it's obvious) the cars I saw that were in the worst shape with worn interior, scuffed rims, dinged and dented paint, etc had worse battery than well-maintained cars. Huh, imagine that!

What did you end up paying not including rebates?
Unless I pay full retail of $11,000 at the local dealer, unfortunately I have none to choose from in my area so will be buying sight unseen from out of state. Other than the normal cosmetic and crash evaluations that my wholesale buyer can perform at the auction. Which will save me from driving 250 miles down to South Jersey/ DC area used car lots and shipping or road tripping it back.

Also note at some point Nissan dropped the rear seat heaters(and maybe steering wheel heat??) on lower trim models. This was not the case at least up to '14, not sure about after that.

The front seat heaters and wheel heaters are found on all Leafs, all trim levels, after 2011. They'd better not monkey with that!

LeftieBiker said:
Also note at some point Nissan dropped the rear seat heaters(and maybe steering wheel heat??) on lower trim models. This was not the case at least up to '14, not sure about after that.

The front seat heaters and wheel heaters are found on all Leafs, all trim levels, after 2011. They'd better not monkey with that!
Then it must be the rear seat heaters that aren't standard(or maybe even available??) or later S models :x IMO they probably did that just to force people to upgrade to the SV or SL models! I know rear seat heaters and heated steering wheel was a big selling point to me and was happy even the base S model came with them :) to me it was really a selling point on getting the Leaf.

sendler2112 said:
Any northern USA lease turn in 2013 Leaf with 30,000 miles will have similar battery capacity remaining and be quite a bargain for an SV at $8,500. I won't have the luxury of running Leafspy first but feel confident they will all be about the same in this area. At this cheap buy in, purchasing a new battery for $6,000 3-4 years down the road still makes the car a much better value than a 2017.
I recently obtained a new 2016 S30 for $16,000 after tax rebate. Considering that the older Leafs can not be upgraded to the 30 kWh battery, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your math.

I can't get anywhere near your price. The best offer I could find on a 2016 last December was the straight up Nissan offer which was lease then buy and would've had me at $20,500. The 2017's have the same. NY is rumored to have $2,000 tax credit for this year but we won't know for sure until April. That still makes it $18,500.
A 2013 with 30,000 miles for $8,500. Drive it till 70,000? and put a $6,000 battery in it to get you to 110,000 miles of ownership and 11 years of ownership for $14,500. Cheaper than buying a new Leaf.
Except that there is a good chance that every 30kWh battery will end up getting a capacity warranty replacement judging by the early feedback on the other thread because of the extended warranty. Depending on where they make the bars corrolate. That would swing it the other way if you drive a lot and wanted to keep the car for 20 years.
Here is the current deal:
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,770 consumer down payment, $229 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $12,000 manufacturer's rebate applied to $229/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions.

2017 LEAF S Trim Lease model 17017 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $31,530 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $16,739 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $8,244 At lease end, purchase for $8,513, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 01/31/2017.

sendler2112 said:
What did you end up paying not including rebates?
Unless I pay full retail of $11,000 at the local dealer, unfortunately I have none to choose from in my area so will be buying sight unseen from out of state. Other than the normal cosmetic and crash evaluations that my wholesale buyer can perform at the auction. Which will save me from driving 250 miles down to South Jersey/ DC area used car lots and shipping or road tripping it back.
I also advise caution in presuming that the cars will have similar battery capacities.

I ended up buying OOS from a broker in California who provides LEAFSpy data. I paid $8300 for an immaculate 24S with like-new (64 Ah) battery capacity.

sendler2112 said:
Except that there is a good chance that every 30kWh battery will end up getting a capacity warranty replacement judging by the early feedback on the other thread because of the extended warranty. Depending on where they make the bars correlate.
Seems like Nissan is likely to know more about battery life and durability than we do. They have said that the 30kWh batteries use modified chemistry and reconfigured cell arrangement. Extending the battery capacity warranty to 100,000 miles or 8 years, strongly suggests that they expect the battery to typically last longer.

It is all new (to Nissan) NMC chemistry. They finally abandoned the ultra safe Mn chemistry to get the much greater capacity by blending some Nickel and Cobalt. And the early reports are not looking any more promissing than the old battery. I think they were way over optimistic on the service life of the new battery chemistry and will end up replacing almost every one of them before 100,000 miles. Depending on the relationship of the bars to the actual percentage of loss. If the replace at 62% as they have been doing, that is going to be a lot of batteries. See the thread.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924

Back