How do you bungy the hatch closed when carrying long objects.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

Hi all. I need to pick up a long umbrella thingy and it will hang out the back of the leaf. I looked at using a bungy cord but can't see where to connect it to the hatch side with out worries of ripping off the panel or something. Anybody have to bungy their hatch closed before??

Thanks

It's difficult at best. I've carried some 10 ft conduit and once a water heater. The water heater just fit but the conduit hung out the back and the hatch bounced up and down the whole way home even with a bungee (that never really worked)

Take the S-hook of your bungee strap and push it against the catch in your hatch, until it locks. Now you've got a super strong holding point. Note to unlock the lock you may need to pull on the bungee strap while pushing the UNLOCK button on your hatch. Do NOT, repeat do NOT just slide the hook out and then try and slam the hatch shut with the lock still locked! You'll break something for sure or bend your catch. Note I generally hook the other end of the bungee to the heavy loop that the hatch latch normally locks around :)

jjeff said:
Take the S-hook of your bungee strap and push it against the catch in your hatch, until it locks. Now you've got a super strong holding point. Note to unlock the lock you may need to pull on the bungee strap while pushing the UNLOCK button on your hatch. Do NOT, repeat do NOT just slide the hook out and then try and slam the hatch shut with the lock still locked! You'll break something for sure or bend your catch. Note I generally hook the other end of the bungee to the heavy loop that the hatch latch normally locks around :)

Awesome. I'll give it a try. Thanks man. Love this forum.

I'll second what Jeff said, I did the exact same thing recently - hooking a bungee to the lock latch. I stretched the other end of the bungee to hook onto the child safety restraint.

I'm still not exactly sure what actually worked to unlock it, lol. I know I pressed the unlock button on the keyless remote which didn't work. I tried a few things, maybe it was first closing all doors and locking everything using the remote, then unlocking?

So I know for next time, how did you get the latch to unlock? Did you first remove the bungee before unlocking the latch, or after?

I tried the "poke it out the front window" trick once. The officer who pulled me over recommended that I try jousting at the Renaissance Faire instead of on the highway.

Back