SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tyre Sealant Kit Experience: Use, Tyre Repair, and Sealant Replacement

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:42 am

A nail was polite enough to puncture a tyre in a groove rather than cause sidewall damage, and the TPMS alerted me to the low pressure before I could tell from the feel of the road. This was my first time using a repair kit, but I had looked it over ahead of time and knew what to expect. It was nice to not mess around with removing a tyre on the side of the road.

Kit use is straightforward, although it took a couple moments to realize that the 12v power outlet in the car is only energized when the car is powered on. The tyre pressure gauge quickly increased to over 40 psi and then dropped down to ~ 20 psi. Then it took a good 5 minutes to inch back up to 35 psi. I'm not sure if I over-inflated the tyre initially and caused more problem than necessary. After removal of the kit I could still hear air hissing out so I figured I would have to reinflate the tyre periodically on the way home but a pressure recheck after a couple of miles showed 35 psi and I could not hear any more leak so the repair improved with a bit of driving. The car tyre was repaired 4 days and about 25 miles later and still had 35 psi the day of repair.

Tyre repair was done at a 'Big O' tyre franchise. I brought them an OEM Denso replacement TPMS sensor bought off Ebay for $7 they were happy to install for free. This may not have been required but I didn't want to risk a faulty TPMS afterwards or be in a position of paying the store rate if they determined replacement was needed. The repair cost $19, the same as a puncture repair without sealant. The internet is chock full of stories that the tyre cannot be repaired after sealant is used but that was not my experience and the repair shop was not really burdened and other than thanking me for letting them know that sealant was in the tyre so that they did not make a mess, they did not seem to care. So far as I could see, the only extra step was washing out the sealant with a water hose.

I've yet to refurbish the kit. After use I tried to clean the hose and passages from sealant by running the compressor with only air but I don't know if that is enough. Next time I'll also run some water through the kit and hose when I get home. The replacement kit at Nissan is prohibitively expensive, but tirerack.com has the sealant and hose for $30 or I can buy just the sealant for around $20 on Ebay or buy (I think) the same kit but branded for a different car for under $20, e.g
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Origi ... 2536737861

All in all, this was anti-climatic and thankfully not an expensive melodrama. And as an added plus, my wife is now much more comfortable with the possibility of a tyre puncture while driving alone.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Tyre Sealant Kit Experience: Use, Tyre Repair, and Sealant Replacement

Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:23 am

It makes much more sense to carry a plug kit than to use that expensive gunk unless you have to do it.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:24 am

+1. Just say "no" to gunk!
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 71,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 am

It is a matter of expectations ...
I was worried I would have to buy a new tyre and an expensive Nissan replacement kit but instead the tyre repair cost was the same as if I carried a spare tyre, and I ended up paying ~ $25 extra for the nice convenience of not spending time trying to repair a tyre on the roadside; or had my wife been traveling alone, the cost and time of a tow.

Not so long ago this sealant method was an expensive and annoying solution but it is *much* better now. I would go so far as to say it is the best for us, but ymmv. I look forward to finding the replacement kits at Walmart or other local store in the near future.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”