cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: New Leaf ProPilot

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Wasn't sure where I should post this.

Someone posted this in the Seattle Leaf FB group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8qm_AfTM0
It's 19.5 minutes and I haven't watched more than 30 seconds of it yet.
AutoNetwork
Published on Dec 12, 2017
2018 Nissan LEAF electric was introduced to invited journalists in San Francisco, CA. and Yountsville, CA 12.7-8.17. The Pro Pilot Assist features were presented by Andy Christensen, Technical Center.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 am

Skip the first two minutes. Then consider skipping most of the rest.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Skip the first two minutes. Then consider skipping most of the rest.

LOL! That bad, huh? Maybe I'll watch sped up in the background.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

The reviewer below confirms what I thought likely from a much shorter test drive.

Pro Pilot Assist is quite effective at doing what a level two semi-autonomous system system can do, and is also unlikely to give drivers the dangerously false impression that you can depend on it to do anything more.

Long-Term 2018 Nissan Leaf: Electric Autonomy—Putting Nissan’s Pro Pilot Assist to the Test

The good, the bad and the merely irritating of semi-autonomous driving

The autonomous driving experience has been, up until recently, an expensive technology reserved for luxury cars. Among others, Nissan is working to bring partial autonomous driving to lower-priced machines. Nissan’s ProPilot Assist is part of a technology package that cost just $650 on our long-term Leaf. That’s a ridiculously good deal. The Leaf’s tech package also includes automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, intelligent lane intervention, an electronic parking brake and high beam assist. ProPilot Assist is also available on the Nissan Rogue as well as Infiniti’s new QX50 crossover.

Okay, so ProPilot is cheap and available (like me when I was single) but is it any good?

... the problem with driving back to LA late in the afternoon is that you’ll hit traffic in just about every city and small town in San Diego, Orange and LA counties, and the drive on this particular day was more grueling than usual. However, ProPilot made the trek tolerable. It was a big relief to let the Nissan manage the brakes and throttle as I crawled through these traffic jams. About halfway through this three-and-a-half-hour slog, I realized that ProPilot is actually smoother at braking in traffic than I am. And battling gridlock is really one of the best uses for this or any other autonomous driving system. When it’s engaged, you’ll never have to worry about a panic stop, when the traffic speed suddenly drops to single digits—or a dead stop.

No doubt, ProPilot has some limitations. It’s certainly not a system that you can set and forget on every freeway while humming along at 70 mph. But then again, none of today’s systems should be relied upon in this way. My findings on this road trip confirmed that that perhaps the best use of the tech is in rush hour commuting. ProPilot made me way more patient during the drive and way less irritated afterwards. I’d call that a big success...

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z5JCTTNO2Z
no condition is permanent

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”