Henryv
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2015

New Leaf ProPilot

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Nissan previews ‘ProPilot’ in the next-gen Leaf – releases first picture of the interior
Fred Lambert - Jun. 22nd 2017 1:07 pm ET @FredericLambert NISSAN LEAF NISSAN

The upcoming next generation Nissan Leaf will be the first of the Japanese automaker’s vehicles to feature its new ProPilot driver assist system outside of Japan.

Today, Nissan released a preview of the feature in a video and the first picture of the next-gen Leaf’s steering controls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKRQtQTbQM

The automaker wrote in a press release today:

“In the coming years, Nissan’s ProPILOT technology will offer increasing levels of autonomy, with the system eventually able to navigate city intersections. Set to help make driving more secure and more enjoyable, ProPILOT Assist is part of Nissan Intelligent Mobility, the company’s blueprint for transforming how cars are driven, powered and integrated into society.”

Under its current form, ProPILOT is geared toward highway driving and it offers similar functionalities as Tesla Autopilot’s Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control features.

Here’s a new video about the feature:

Nissan started releasing teasers for the new Leaf last month – starting with the new headlights.

Now we also get our first look at the next-gen Leaf’s steering controls in an image released by the company:

Next-gen Leaf prototypes have been spotted over the past few months, while the final production version is expected in September for deliveries by the end of the year under the 2018 model year.

It is expected to feature a 60 kWh battery pack that will enable over 200 miles of range on a single charge.

The Japanese automaker will aim to compete with the Chevy Bolt EV and the Tesla Model 3 for buyers in the market for an all-electric long-range vehicle for less than $40,000.

In the meantime, the company has been heavily discounting its current all-electric Leafs, which can prove a cheap way to get into EV ownership. You can check with your local Nissan dealer for Leafs in their inventories.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: New Leaf ProPilot

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Video promo for PP, shown in action in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnke9JkPfUI

Other links and videos at:

Autonomous driving LEAF, and the implications for BEVs.

Interesting that Nissan chose to introduce ProPILOT (formerly known as piloted drive) in a relatively inexpensive mini-minivan.

I would be surprised if the Nissan gen 2 does not offer at least this level of driver-assist...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&start=210
no condition is permanent

jhm614
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Any ideas on how Japan Option Package prices compare to US Option Price packages? It looks like the new X-Trail has ProPilot in at least two packages - one for ~$1,250 (140,400 yen) and one for ~$3,150 that also includes Around View and Parking Assist.

$1,200 doesn't sound -too bad- especially if the system could be upgraded to multi-lane hightway in the future. (I'm assuming that it won't be upgradable to city...)

http://www.nissan.co.jp/SP/X-TRAIL/VLP/ ... n_all.html
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 105,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

BenTheRighteous
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2017

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 am

First, let me say I'm all for Nissan developing and releasing this technology - it's been a long time coming.

However, the Leaf seems like the last choice of car to introduce it in. Both ProPilot and XM Radio seem like features appropriate for a long-range car, which the Leaf is absolutely not. (Perhaps the 2018 Leaf will change my mind, but it still won't be at the same level as ICE cars regardless in that respect).

My only thought is that Nissan might be trying to provide incentive for the general public to go EV. "Hey, check out this cool technology, don't you want it? Guess what, it's only in our environmentally-friendly cars, you should buy one!"

That would be nice if that were actually their driving motivation.
2017 Leaf S
OpenEVSE P50-D WiFi Kit
Raleigh, NC
USA

jhm614
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:05 am

BenTheRighteous wrote:However, the Leaf seems like the last choice of car to introduce it in. Both ProPilot and XM Radio seem like features appropriate for a long-range car, which the Leaf is absolutely not. (Perhaps the 2018 Leaf will change my mind, but it still won't be at the same level as ICE cars regardless in that respect).

I think it will depend on the individual driver's usage. About half of my commute is highway and about half of that can be bumper to bumper. Hopefully, ProPilot will be able to handle 25% - 45% of my daily driving...
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 105,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:14 am

jhm614 wrote:
BenTheRighteous wrote:However, the Leaf seems like the last choice of car to introduce it in. Both ProPilot and XM Radio seem like features appropriate for a long-range car, which the Leaf is absolutely not. (Perhaps the 2018 Leaf will change my mind, but it still won't be at the same level as ICE cars regardless in that respect).

I think it will depend on the individual driver's usage. About half of my commute is highway and about half of that can be bumper to bumper. Hopefully, ProPilot will be able to handle 25% - 45% of my daily driving...

I agree with you both. It highly depends. For me, ProPilot is useless for my 5-minute suburban commute across town. But where I might want it is cruising 250 miles down the Thruway to visit family across the state. I would take a 60kWh Leaf on that trip, but not a 40kWh Leaf. Anyway, this is start.

I'm curious about future improvements. I would like to know whether Nissan is allowing for ProPilot on the 2018 Leaf to be software upgradeable in the future at all (obviously stuck with old hardware) or if their plan is to only incorporate improvements into later models of the Leaf. The latter would be business-as-usual for a legacy automaker like Nissan. The former would mean that Nissan actually learned something from Tesla...
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for posting; would like to see some of the other pics (that either didn't/can't get posted).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”