webeleafowners
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi folks. We will be storing our 2016 Leaf for four months in a 10 degree celsius garage. I am planning on storing at 50 percent charge. Opinions on that please. As well.

Do I need a battery tender hooked up to the 12 volt battery. And if so, do I just alligator clip it to the positive and negative terminals or is there a better way. I have read conflicting I go on this.

Thanks to all. We appreciate this leaf community.

John and Angela.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7138
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm

No need if car is unplugged and no device in OBDII socket.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

webeleafowners
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:No need if car is unplugged and no device in OBDII socket.


So...your saying just don’t do anything and it will be fine???
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

joeriv
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Location: Fairfield County CT

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm

I disagree - IMHO anything more than a week is going to lead to problems.

I use a Ctek which comes with terminals you can keep on the battery. Plug the charger into the plug (no alligator clips), power it up and when you come back no problems. It desulfates the battery.

I had a 3 1/2 yr old battery tested like new - always used the trickle charger if I was away more than 3-4 days.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

Jedlacks
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 29 May 2016
Location: Kennesaw, GA

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

joeriv wrote:I disagree - IMHO anything more than a week is going to lead to problems.

I use a Ctek...

+1
I use a BatteryMINDer at least twice or three times a month overnight, and my battery is over three years old. I also put it on our Mercedes.
2015 SV QC/LED
Juicebox 40A

webeleafowners
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Jedlacks wrote:
joeriv wrote:I disagree - IMHO anything more than a week is going to lead to problems.

I use a Ctek...

+1
I use a BatteryMINDer at least twice or three times a month overnight, and my battery is over three years old. I also put it on our Mercedes.


So do you go directly on the posts or do you put the ground elsewhere?

What do you think of this one.

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/productDetail/0111940P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0111940
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

Jedlacks
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm
Delivery Date: 29 May 2016
Location: Kennesaw, GA

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 pm

I bought the optional ring attachment, and put them permanently on the battery terminals. Then I drilled a small hole in the plastic through the plastic around the charging port, and put the wire through so that I can plug in both without popping the hood. These are maintainers and will not overcharge....
2015 SV QC/LED
Juicebox 40A

webeleafowners
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:37 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015
Location: Okanagan Valley British Columbia

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Jedlacks wrote:I bought the optional ring attachment, and put them permanently on the battery terminals. Then I drilled a small hole in the plastic through the plastic around the charging port, and put the wire through so that I can plug in both without popping the hood. These are maintainers and will not overcharge....


Howdy and thanks for the reply. Do you mean you routed the 120 cord through to the charge hatch. Don’t suppose you have a pic or two?

Thanks.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7138
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm

The OP has a 2016 Leaf. From 2014 or 2015 on, there is no sign of the 12 volt charging issues seen with earlier Leafs. With no telematics "upgrade" to drain power and no known charging issues, what I originally wrote stands. I usually tell people to use a maintainer, but in the above case the very most that should be needed is fully charging the 12 volt battery with an external charger before parking it.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

derkraut
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248
Location: San Diego vicinity

Re: 12 volt maintenance. Long term storage.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The OP has a 2016 Leaf. From 2014 or 2015 on, there is no sign of the 12 volt charging issues seen with earlier Leafs. With no telematics "upgrade" to drain power and no known charging issues, what I originally wrote stands. I usually tell people to use a maintainer, but in the above case the very most that should be needed is fully charging the 12 volt battery with an external charger before parking it.

I agree with Leftie.. I left the traction battery @ 50% charged. Then I fully charged my 12V battery with an external charger, and parked the car in my garage for 2 months. No problems whatsoever when I returned.
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017: 12 bars @37.4K+mi. 100% charge: DD readings: Bat temp 81.3F, Gids=283, S=94.1, C=66.13, H=99.79 394V :)

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”