Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: 2019 Leaf specs revealed

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 am

^ ^ ^ THIS

Based on comments by Nissan at the time, it seemed as though "no TMS" was part of the original system design spec (for those of you who can relate) for the Leaf platform.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

rcm4453
Leaf Number: 304133

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 am

GerryAZ wrote:I might be interested if active cooling is only for charging, but I don't want a battery that requires cooling while parked for extended time without being plugged in. I don't want to return to the office or airport after parking for 2 or 3 weeks to a car that discharged itself trying to keep its battery cool. The other specifications look really interesting.

How often would this scenario play out for most Leaf drivers? Wouldn't you think having a battery that degrades less quickly because it has an active TMS is the better way to go? It's a small price to pay to protect a battery that costs several thousand dollars.

rcm4453

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 am

Stanton wrote:^ ^ ^ THIS

Based on comments by Nissan at the time, it seemed as though "no TMS" was part of the original system design spec (for those of you who can relate) for the Leaf platform.

Yeah and look how well this "no TMS" has worked out for them. How many batteries has Nissan had to replace under warranty since the Leaf launched?!

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 pm

rcm4453 wrote:

Yeah and look how well this "no TMS" has worked out for them. How many batteries has Nissan had to replace under warranty since the Leaf launched?!

A lot...and I'm one of them. However, that's not the point. If the battery design/testing/whatever had been more heat tolerant and/or initial battery pack capacities had been larger, the system design objectives would have most likely been met. The simple fact that Nissan is going with another battery design (LG Chem) tells you that they (finally) learned a very expensive lesson.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Jedlacks
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303628

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Stanton wrote:
rcm4453 wrote:

A lot...and I'm one of them. However, that's not the point. If the battery design/testing/whatever had been more heat tolerant and/or initial battery pack capacities had been larger, the system design objectives would have most likely been met. The simple fact that Nissan is going with another battery design (LG Chem) tells you that they (finally) learned a very expensive lesson.

I sincerely doubt your estimation of "a lot". Not all Leafs were sold in Phoenix or places like that, but when you are the one being inconvenienced, it would seem that the whole world is caving in. I'm over 41,000 miles in the Atlanta suburbs, and I am getting 86 miles in this frozen weather. Yes, I still have 12 bars, but I may lose a bar within the next 12 months. By then I will be in the 50s. Also, I have not seen any numbers or reports that say that Nissan is losing on a Leaf. Maybe making their own battery took away the overhead-and-profit of a separate manufacturer, so there must have been cost savings there. And in doing so, they could pass the savings along. Now that they reused many of the original parts, they can now look to LG Chem.

We all read this thread and hear of some of us going to the dealer for a replacement and being told, "...this is our first...". I believe the only "a lot" were the people that came here to voice their complaint.
2018 SV
Deep Blue Pearl

rcm4453

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Jedlacks wrote:
Stanton wrote:
rcm4453 wrote:

I sincerely doubt your estimation of "a lot". Not all Leafs were sold in Phoenix or places like that, but when you are the one being inconvenienced, it would seem that the whole world is caving in. I'm over 41,000 miles in the Atlanta suburbs, and I am getting 86 miles in this frozen weather. Yes, I still have 12 bars, but I may lose a bar within the next 12 months. By then I will be in the 50s. Also, I have not seen any numbers or reports that say that Nissan is losing on a Leaf. Maybe making their own battery took away the overhead-and-profit of a separate manufacturer, so there must have been cost savings there. And in doing so, they could pass the savings along. Now that they reused many of the original parts, they can now look to LG Chem.

We all read this thread and hear of some of us going to the dealer for a replacement and being told, "...this is our first...". I believe the only "a lot" were the people that came here to voice their complaint.

You have a relatively good battery (the lizard battery) but those of us who have either a 30kwh pack or a 2011, 2012 pack it's a whole different story! Have you seen all the threads(posts) over the years of bar losers and capacity losses? This forum is just a small sample of total Leaf owners, imagine how many other owners that don't post on this forum that have had severe battery degradation?!

I live in Minnesota and lost my first bar at 19k miles so it doesn't only effect people in hot climates.

HollandJim
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:37 am

rcm4453 wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:I might be interested if active cooling is only for charging, but I don't want a battery that requires cooling while parked for extended time without being plugged in. I don't want to return to the office or airport after parking for 2 or 3 weeks to a car that discharged itself trying to keep its battery cool. The other specifications look really interesting.

How often would this scenario play out for most Leaf drivers? Wouldn't you think having a battery that degrades less quickly because it has an active TMS is the better way to go? It's a small price to pay to protect a battery that costs several thousand dollars.

It happens a bit for Tesla drivers, as it's common to lose between 2.5km/.5kWh - 15km/3.1kWh a day, the latter being when the car is NOT in power-saving mode:
https://youtu.be/iAaRXgmAOIc

- Doctor, doctor...it hurts when I do that...
- Well then, don't do that.

The solution is to park it with 70-80% charge and in power-saving mode; that way you're not storing a full charge and the car has enough to allow for sitting and pre-warming. I'm sure Nissan will have a similar mode. Also, try to park indoors, if possible. Every bit of cover helps.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 am

LeafPowerIsIxE wrote:Very impressive. I'm interested. Surprised they released this data. Maybe push some to avoid the current 2018 offering?

Other than the 1st slide that was shown which was shown from the Sunnyvale EVent in Sept 2017 (discussed at viewtopic.php?p=515631#p515631), I really wonder how credible the other stuff in the table is. I was at that EVent along w/numerous other MNLers, including some at least 2 non-local folks who flew in and apparently, one who drove down from WA in his Kia Soul EV.

I have no idea if PushEVs is credible.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jake14mw
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2017

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 am

I think the 225 miles of range is important. Especially considering what harsh winter temperatures do to range. I also think if people know a superior model is coming out in a year, that would greatly reduce 2018 model sales.

So, what is the truth with the Level 3 charging standards? My understanding is that there is the Tesla standard, the Chademo that few automakers use, and the one that Chevy uses that has the two extra holes under the normal port. As you can tell, I'm not up on this. I would prefer that Nissan goes to whatever the more common standard is.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:10 pm

What standard is more common depends on where you are. There is as yet no clear winner in the charging standard war, although it's looking like the SAE Combo will eventually dominate over ChaDeMo. In the meantime many newer QC stations offer both charging cables.

Yes, I know I didn't get the silly capitalization right.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”