I got my new 2018 Leaf and overall very good car, and love driving it and here are my thoughts after driving 1000 miles. There are lot of concerns / issues that Nissan need to pay attention and address.
What is good ;
1. Enough power to Get up and go.
2. ePedel is excellent
3. More range than the old Leaf
4. Good information / Dashboard
1. Dedicated USB slot or SD slot for music. (No more CD player on SV, SL). One USB available, that is required for car play.
2. Crappy ev-app. Always times out. Need improvement.
3. No Memory seat. No passenger power seat
What is not good ;
1. Car telematics is very slow to respond. You need to check your battery status from your phone, lot of time, phone app will timeout. (Need lot of improvement).
3. Pro-Pilot is not reliable (More details below)
4. Automatic emergency brake don't work when needed (More details below)
5. Quick charge don't work as advertised. (More details below)
Pro Pilot / Adaptive Cruise control issues
Safety Concern : When we are driving with adaptive cruise control on, and if we come across a stopped car in the lane (Ex. RED light), leaf will not slow down, it will most likely not stop and crash. Seems to work ok, if Leaf was following another car, and if that car stopped. This may be due, to LEAF adaptive cruise control system cannot detect fast moving objects. I have tried, 2, 3 times, and car do not seems to stop, I had to hard brake. This can be a safety issue, and I hope Nissan will address this soon. (Confirm if others experience the same).
Propilot is not reliable, even when there are good solid lane markings, it cannot keep in the middle of the lane, especially in sharp turns. In those sharp turns, no slow downs, car will cross lanes while pro-pilot is still active. At least if pro-pilot should give up saying I cannot negotiate the turn. (We expect, if Pro Pilot light is green to keep the lane and Brake if there is any object in the lane, if it is not doing that, I believe this is a safety concern and should not be allowed on roads.
Automatic Emergency Brake
This is again, do not seems to work as expected. Not sure if this is when the car is going above 50mph (I have seen somewhere that car can stop only if speed is below 50mph). This is hard to test, as car will crash. But my testing tell, that this is something that do not work. When car has adaptive cruise control car better apply brakes if it see something in front. But my guess is that car don't seem to see what is in the front. However they seems to work when car is following another vehicle, and when vehicle in front is stopped suddenly.
Quick Charge is slow
Quick charge slow down after about 60% of charge, used to be around 80% on Leaf 1.0 on a warm day. That means, we have to wait longer to charge the car. In a long trip, if you want to charge 2nd time, battery is already warm from the 1st QC, and 2nd QC is going to be 2 times slow.
Some charging stations charge by minutes of charge, these stations, Leaf 2.0 customers will be paying 2 times money to charge from those charging stations where they charge by minute.
2018 SL ; 03/18 Delivery ; Dallas TX ; @10k Mile ; SOH=94.83,AHr=109.47,Hx=109.12