Impressive 2018 real life range.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honva

Had the 2018 leaf for just over 2 month. It is my go to work car. Round trip every day is about 90km of mixed heavy traffic city and highway. It consistently use about 10kwh or less a day. This week, I had driveway sealing done and had to avoid rolling over it. Therefore not able to charge the leaf for 3 whole days. After 260km in 3 days, it still shows having 17% or 50km left when I put it back in the garage to charge this evening. Very impressive range.

This is my first EV. Before buying it, I was a little worried about range anxiety. During this two months, I had no such worries at all. Had two 300+km long trips and all what it needed is a 30min of top up from a dc charger. Best thing is that those are free as well. Just want to share this for those thinking about a EV but hesitated about running out of battery. In day to day use, I now don’t even look at the range at all and only charge it to about 80%. Also, there are so many chargers out there now. In case you really need to plug it in on your way, there is always one nearby.

I also concur that Nissan underpromised and over delivered on the EPA rating. (as if it was in their control since their name is not Ford or Hyundai...)

I recently changed jobs and working on experiments so I charged LEAF to full and ONLY drove back and forth to work totaling 95.6 miles over 4 days and ended with 48% SOC and 88 on the GOM. Drive is 56% freeway, driven between 65-75 mph 28 % arterial suburban driven between 35-50 mph, and 16% City driven between 30-35 mph.

But this was not really a surprise as even in "Winter" (or what we have here that passes as such) I was seeing 140+ miles with not so careful driving.

Hi I too am impressed with my SL Range. Starts out at 270-300KMs in the morning and have not got it below 25% yet. Did a drive from GTA to Collingwood ON last weekend and still had plenty of range left when got back.

I’ve been really impressed with mine as well. I was concerned since my commute is almost 600km a week, but I typically only charge 3 times a week and never above 80%. I’ve also been saving so much money on fuel that I can take faster toll roads and still pocket some of my commuting stipend.

Well the math was a bit suspect from day one. If you have 38 kwh available and get 4.5 miles per kwh which is not unusual in areas with mild Summers, that pencils to 171 miles which is pretty darn close to what I am seeing. Even with a degraded pack providing 36 kwh (first year anyway :) ) that is still 162 miles.

LeftieBiker said:
My SL seems to be delivering about twice the range of my ~14% degraded 2013.

Same here. My 2018 SV seems to be delivering about twice the range of my 15% degraded 2015.

Also I’m now charging a lot less frequently due to remaining range after routine trips that previously required charge.

Tomorrow I have a 75 mile round trip on interstate. There’s no range anxiety with this trip using my 2018, where before I’d have to plan a short charge on the way to make it with a little reserve.

My driving efficiency is also much higher, despite me not sparing the accelerator pedal on many occasions. I used to get 3.2-4.0 M/KWH with my 2013 (usually well under 4.0), and now I'm getting 4.1 with little effort.

You can probably chalk that up to the lower Cd and possibly to better regen - mostly the former I think, as that saves a lot of energy at highway speeds.

Higher efficiency is partially higher regen for sure. The REAL question is "will that regen still be awesome with 8 bars?" If so, I can see buying my 40 kwh LEAF even with a 5% (previously unacceptable in shorter range LEAFs) annual degradation.

I measured 67 KW in regen coming down Snoqualmie. But the best part is the regen is also higher in B mode as well. Not as much as E Pedal but definitely much higher than my previous 24 and 30 kwh LEAFs.

And despite all that; I am averaging 4 mph higher on freeway jaunts. Granted this is a bit "clouded" because my old job forced me to coming home during peak traffic messes for LONG stretches while the new job has the same traffic issues but for only 6 miles of freeway.

But I did have my 2018 for two months before changing jobs and despite it being Winter (greatest efficiency variability) I started seeing my "target" 4.5 miles per kwh even on days that should have been in the low 4's.

I concur with the rest of you guys. Just got our 2018 and range is amazing. Even good enough that it has me planning midwest roadtrips, which is saying something considering everything is spread out around here and not many charging stations yet.

Continuing the theme, I am showing 4.5 mi/kWh after 2 weeks driving with A/C on 50% of the time, mixed driving. 180 miles if Leaf self-reporting is accurate and all 40 kWh is available.

APCPA said:
Continuing the theme, I am showing 4.5 mi/kWh after 2 weeks driving with A/C on 50% of the time, mixed driving. 180 miles if Leaf self-reporting is accurate and all 40 kWh is available.
38 kwh available

Back