LeftieBiker
Posts: 9063
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Does the range seem to have increased, subjectively? Do you have any benchmarks that would give an objective answer?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

joeriv
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Location: Fairfield County CT

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 am

I monitor battery capacity on the dash. Since Ahrs is now larger, a given distance will compute less battery usage - the denominator is now larger (ie if I use 10 Ahrs, before this would be 10/73.27 = 13.5%, after 10/77.22 = 12.9%). This is NOT a definitive answer - the real test would be someone who went from 10 bars to 12 after the update and did a range test before and then after. Subjectively I see more range, objectively I have no data to report.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

soldcake
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 311414

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:46 am

jbuntz wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
jbuntz wrote:On the 30kWh turtle hits at about 5 gids

I'm not sure about that. Turtle is a result of the weakest pair, while GIDS is (I think) a pack average. So it *could* be 5 GIDS depending on the load and the pack, but that is more coincidental than anything.

Before the update turtle hit at 3.43 and after at 2.56v


hmm.... so, after the fw update, turtle more may degrades the pack faster.... :?:
May-2018 15553mi 68.6Ahr 86%SOH 80%Hx
Nov-2017 11043mi 70.4Ahr 88%SOH 82%Hx
Sep-2016 1050mi 74.3Ahr 93%SOH 89%Hx
2016 Leaf White SV + no premium package + rain visor + 40psi :roll:
(BayArea California)

goldbrick
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm

I have my software update scheduled for Thursday. Is there any specific Leaf Spy Pro info I should try to capture before/after the update?

I don't want to run my car down to turtle or drive it for 100+ miles to measure the real range but if there is something besides the normal LS info that would be useful, please let me know. I do plan to grab a LS screen shot before and after but otherwise I don't know what would be helpful.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9063
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm

You could measure the range for a specific drop in state of charge like 20% on a route you use often, then repeat it after the update.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Posts: 2594
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

goldbrick wrote:I have my software update scheduled for Thursday. Is there any specific Leaf Spy Pro info I should try to capture before/after the update?

I don't want to run my car down to turtle or drive it for 100+ miles to measure the real range but if there is something besides the normal LS info that would be useful, please let me know. I do plan to grab a LS screen shot before and after but otherwise I don't know what would be helpful.

Drive fast with AC on max to reach VLB quickly, and then grab a LeafSpy cell histogram of voltages.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9063
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

The A/C doesn't drain the battery much faster, and Max mode (full recirculate) might well be slower than A/C with fresh air open because it's chilled air being re-cooled rather than hot fresh air being chilled...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

goldbrick
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 am

I'm at 28% now and my appointment is tomorrow so I can probably get it down to LBW or perhaps lower before I bring it in. I'm on track to go about 135 miles on this charge (accidentally went to 100% last time...). The dash is showing 4.7 m/kWh which seems low considering the mileage. Or is the efficiency reading reset separately from the trip meters?

I just commute and drive around town so I can't reproduce the exact same route. I try to watch the mileage vs charge and it has been pretty consistent but my SOH is about 94% now so there probably isn't enough gain possible to be noticeable 'by the seat of my pants'.

goldbrick
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 am

SageBrush wrote:Drive fast with AC on max to reach VLB quickly, and then grab a LeafSpy cell histogram of voltages.


On the theory that the BMS will allow the battery to run down to a lower voltage after the update?

That is about the only thing that makes sense to me although I don't claim to be an expert on Li battery technology. I'll try to run the charge level down to single digits and get LS shots along the way. Then repeat after the firmware update.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9063
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan issues software update to solve 30 kwh battery issues

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:07 pm

goldbrick wrote:I'm at 28% now and my appointment is tomorrow so I can probably get it down to LBW or perhaps lower before I bring it in. I'm on track to go about 135 miles on this charge (accidentally went to 100% last time...). The dash is showing 4.7 m/kWh which seems low considering the mileage. Or is the efficiency reading reset separately from the trip meters?

I just commute and drive around town so I can't reproduce the exact same route. I try to watch the mileage vs charge and it has been pretty consistent but my SOH is about 94% now so there probably isn't enough gain possible to be noticeable 'by the seat of my pants'.


You have to reset the energy economy meter separately. It's under one of the blue menu button energy screens.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”