2019 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnlocke

A 2019 Leaf was spotted in a charger test. It seems that the 2019 leaf does use LG battery modules, has active TMS, and can charge at 100KW rate. It was spotted at a Charger Manufacturer undergoing testing. The battery is approximately 60KWH and the onboard charger is either 11KW or 22KW. The 11KW charger is probably for the US market while the 22KW charger is likely for multi-phase charging in Asia and Europe. 11KW is enough to charge to 100% overnight anyway. 22KW charging could be 480VAC single phase as well but that tends to be an industrial voltage.

If this is real, it’s going to make my next purchase decision very difficult. The plan is to get a Model 3 and hand the 40kWh Leaf over to my wife. If the price is good, I may go with this instead. The unlimited charging plan Nissan offers here is great, and it’s generally much cheaper to insure domestic vehicles... Hrmmmmmmmm.

I'd want to see a track record and details on the TMS first... Nissan doesn't exactly have a stellar battery record...

GetOffYourGas said:
It looks like the 2019 Leaf will be everything I hoped the 2018 to be. Too late for me, Nissan. But I hope it will sell well!

TomT said:
I'd want to see a track record and details on the TMS first... Nissan doesn't exactly have a stellar battery record...

GetOffYourGas said:
It looks like the 2019 Leaf will be everything I hoped the 2018 to be. Too late for me, Nissan. But I hope it will sell well!

Certainly fair. My 2012 lost about 20% in 6.5 years. That's more than I'd hope, but frankly less than I expected in 2012. At that time. Nissan was saying 20% in 5 years.

Assuming that the 2019 is better, it should lose capacity at a slower rate than the DCFC infrastructure is filling in. On the net, the car will still be getting better over time.

Anyone considering a 2019 Leaf should be thinking Lease not Buy. Consider it a three year test drive. With the high depreciation on a Leaf that we've seen so far, there's a good chance that you would be able to negotiate a better deal to buy out the lease (if you liked the car) then an outright purchase would give you anyway. If there are problems with the battery or cooling system or even if you just don't like or need it any more, hand it back to the dealer after three years and walk away. Given the reputation of the Leaf's battery and Nissan's reluctance to stand behind the product, leasing makes a lot more sense than a purchase.

This would finally be what we were promised - beating the Bolt. Unfortunately, it is a bit too late. Since the 2018 Leaf wasn't quite adequate, I now have a Clarity PHEV. So this will have to wait until the next car replacement, which would likely be our 2013 Leaf. Of course, the 2019 would be a huge upgrade versus that. And given how happy we are with that one, I think getting the newer one will be a very tempting choice. But I think our 2013 has a few more good years yet, so who knows what will be the choices in 2021'ish.

armmynissanleaf said:
What kind of battery cooling system will it have?

The rumor is that it’s essentially the same set up as the BMW i3, but from LG Chem instead of Samsung. I suppose that would make it NMC, which is what the 2018 Leaf is rumored to have (without cooling, of course).

So to charge at the maximum 11kW charging rate at a single phase service home means having a 60a 240v circuit? And a maximum 80% of 60a = 48a circuit current? Do they make NM-B 4/2 cable (for a direct wired EVSE)?

Nubo said:
johnlocke said:
...22KW charging could be 480VAC single phase as well but that tends to be an industrial voltage.

480V is 3-phase.
The voltage actually is 277 VAC/480 VAC Y configuration. 277 VAC phase to neutral. 480 VAC Phase to phase. Delta config is possible (no neutral) but is not commonly used.

MikeD said:
So to charge at the maximum 11kW charging rate at a single phase service home means having a 60a 240v circuit? And a maximum 80% of 60a = 48a circuit current? Do they make NM-B 4/2 cable (for a direct wired EVSE)?
No, 6 gauge would be adequate. Think electric range cord.

johnlocke said:
No, 6 gauge would be adequate. Think electric range cord.
If using Romex, the #6 copper is limited to 55A. So that may mean the EVSE would be limited to 80% * 55A = 44A (I'm a little unclear on this point, actually.)

If using most other wiring methods, the #6 copper is good for 65A, no problem.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney: Romex is most convenient for me so that's why I inquired about the availability of NM-B 4/2 since I recognized that 6/2 is inadequate under the NEC. I have noticed that 4/3 is available, but I haven't seen 4/2 mentioned (from Southwire, for example).

MikeD said:
I have noticed that 4/3 is available, but I haven't seen 4/2 mentioned (from Southwire, for example).
Southwire's spec sheet for NM cable doesn't list 4/2 or 2/2 NM, so looks like they don't make it.

But you could use copper SE cable. Typically SER (round) is 3 conductors with ground, and SEU (flat) is 2 conductors with ground, although Southwire lists 2 conductor SER as well. Often the bare conductor is full sized, so for example 2 conductor #6 cable with #6 ground would be referred to as 6-6-6 SE. Sometimes the bare conductor is reduced two sizes.

Depending on the installation details and the year of NEC in force, SE cable can be used at its 75C ampacity, meaning #6 copper would be sufficient for a 60A circuit. Under the 2011 and 2014 NECs, this is allowed as long as the SE cable does not pass through thermal insulation. Under the 2017 NEC, all sizes of SE cable larger than #10 can be used at their 75C ampacity.

So if you can find it, 6-6-8 (or 6-6-6) copper SE cable would work for a 60A circuit, unless you need to run through thermal insulation and are under the 2011 or 2014 NEC. In which case you'd need 4-4-6 (or 4-4-4) copper SE cable.

Cheers, Wayne

johnlocke said:
Nubo said:
johnlocke said:
...22KW charging could be 480VAC single phase as well but that tends to be an industrial voltage.

480V is 3-phase.
The voltage actually is 277 VAC/480 VAC Y configuration. 277 VAC phase to neutral. 480 VAC Phase to phase. Delta config is possible (no neutral) but is not commonly used.

OK I guess I was talking out my rear because I can't even tell if you're saying I'm wrong :lol:

Nubo said:
johnlocke said:
Nubo said:
480V is 3-phase.

OK I guess I was talking out my rear because I can't even tell if you're saying I'm wrong :lol:
You weren't wrong. I was simply pointing out that you don't have to use all three phases. In any case, to charge at 22KW you either need to convert 240VAC at 92A or 480VAC at 46A. 480VAC 3 phase is what the DCFC Stations use and is part of why they're so expensive.

Back