LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12017
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:10 pm

The 2018 Leaf doesn't look Dorky. People who buy cars based on appearance primarily are less likely to buy an EV anyway.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RonDawg
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:35 pm

The 2nd gen looks better than the 1st gen, but still not pretty IMHO. This is coming from someone who once had a 1st gen Leaf.

And yes people do get turned off by styling they hate. Some (like Leaf owners) are willing to overlook that, others aren't. There's gotta be a reason why Tesla's Model 3 is outselling the Bolt despite availability issues and (at the moment) a much higher sticker price.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 12017
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:36 pm

The Bolt has an interior that is both Fugly and uncomfortable. It has the harsh ride of the Model 3 without the sports car handling. It also looks like a Korean crossover wannabe.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 am

RonDawg wrote:There's gotta be a reason why Tesla's Model 3 is outselling the Bolt despite availability issues and (at the moment) a much higher sticker price.


It does not matter how well Tesla is selling because that car is in an other universe... It is like European luxury cars. Those are cars that you LEASE and DO NOT OWN.

Down the road of ownership, all Teslas will be like a beautiful lady vampire... It will be a sight to see, but will bleed you dry when you have to do any work on it....

cwerdna
Posts: 9274
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 am

powersurge wrote:
RonDawg wrote:There's gotta be a reason why Tesla's Model 3 is outselling the Bolt despite availability issues and (at the moment) a much higher sticker price.


It does not matter how well Tesla is selling because that car is in an other universe... It is like European luxury cars. Those are cars that you LEASE and DO NOT OWN.

FWIW, AFAIK, unlike the S and X, you cannot lease the 3 yet. You might be able to lease a 3 thru a 3rd party.

Also from http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/10/se ... n-america/, if you sort by date, the Model 3 is the 4th best selling car in the US for Sept 2018. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/10/se ... le-ranked/ is the report for US light vehicles.

It is also decimating all other plug-in vehicle sales in the US: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ since July.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Posts: 2885
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 am

cwerdna wrote:It {Model 3} is also decimating all other plug-in vehicle sales in the US: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ since July.


I don't see this. BEVs:

LEAF sales in September were the second highest month for this year, only May is higher.
Bolt sales in September were the second highest month for this year, only March is higher.

Model S and Model X are both records in September.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

cwerdna
Posts: 9274
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:48 pm

WetEV wrote:
cwerdna wrote:It {Model 3} is also decimating all other plug-in vehicle sales in the US: https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/ since July.


I don't see this. BEVs:

LEAF sales in September were the second highest month for this year, only May is higher.
Bolt sales in September were the second highest month for this year, only March is higher.

Model S and Model X are both records in September.

Model 3 is at 78K units in the US YTD.
Prius Prime is at 20.5K YTD (#2 in the YTD spot)
Leaf is at 10.6K
Bolt is at 11.8K

From Feb 2018 onward, Model 3 monthly sales have been past 2K units/month. During this period, not a single month of Leaf nor Bolt has reached 2K.

For July, Aug and Sept, estimated # Model 3's sold were 14.2K, 17.8K and 22.2K, respectively. This is with no leasing thru Tesla possible.
For Leaf, the numbers were 1.1K, 1.3K and 1.5K. No other plug-in vehicle on those months has reached even 4K units in a given month.

So, Model 3 coming out of nowhere w/a very rocky production start last year is now outselling Leaf and Bolt each by about 10:1, or more, in the US. That seems like decimation to me.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Dooglas
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:08 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779
Location: Oregon City, OR

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:26 pm

cwerdna wrote:So, Model 3 coming out of nowhere w/a very rocky production start last year is now outselling Leaf and Bolt each by about 10:1 in the US. That seems like decimation to me.

You got us there ;) . That seems like fairly close to the original definition of decimation.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

DanCar
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Dooglas wrote:
cwerdna wrote:So, Model 3 coming out of nowhere w/a very rocky production start last year is now outselling Leaf and Bolt each by about 10:1 in the US. That seems like decimation to me.

You got us there ;) . That seems like fairly close to the original definition of decimation.
Started with the Roman army. After poor performance in battle one in ten would be killed as punishment. Model 3 estimated sales last month was 14 times Bolt.
2013 Leaf SL leased 3/10/2013
https://twitter.com/DanielCardena

DarthPuppy
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Some talk of a NIssan Electric SUV

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 pm

If the other EV options don't improve their offerings quickly, Tesla is going to eat everyone's lunch. And that will be especially true once they get around to selling cars in the $30k range and resoundingly so once they get a model under $30k.

Tesla has a pretty good formula. Hopefully they can soon get their products into the under $30k bracket as that is what the country needs to really get widespread adoption.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”