GRA

Re: 250,000 All Electric miles on my Nissan LEAFs

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:OTOH, the best environmental choice to make - one that has a vastly larger benefit than everything mentioned so far - is to choose to not have children. <snip>

Agreed. I was somewhere in my teens when I made that decision, and having seen the world's human population increase by more than 150% in my lifetime and knowing that it will more than triple before I'm likely to shuffle off my mortal coil and become an ex-human (and the number finally stabilizes before starting to reduce), I've never regretted it. Or maybe, I'll just be pining for the Fjords. :lol:
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:01 pm

I've found that being an Uncle (to younger kids - the older ones just want stuff) fulfills whatever paternal instincts I have. That and there are a couple of cats who think of me as their Dad. Actually, one thinks I'm his Mom, but he's a little slow...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Becky50
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 019032

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I must say having been in college during the Zero Population movement, I am simply amazed at how many of my friend’s kids are having three and four children. I have to keep my lips firmly pressed together each time I hear of another family addition. I fear I have become an old fogey.

GRA

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I've found that being an Uncle (to younger kids - the older ones just want stuff) fulfills whatever paternal instincts I have. That and there are a couple of cats who think of me as their Dad. Actually, one thinks I'm his Mom, but he's a little slow...

Being a scoutmaster for a dozen years satisfied whatever lingering paternal interest I might have had (very little, if any). : Cats are easy: "Pet me. Feed Me. Let me in/out. Leave me alone." :lol:
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm

Cats who never grew up want your lap, your attention, to be washed by you...big babies, they are.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 am

Also zero interest in children and a somewhat obsessive cat dad.

Of course, we do need children to prop up social security payments to us in our dotage, but that's really the only interest I have in them.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 81,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

GRA

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Cats who never grew up want your lap, your attention, to be washed by you...big babies, they are.

With the huge advantage that there's no diaper changing, or needing to be walked to take care of business. And they clean up after themselves when done, these last two being their major advantage over dogs IMO. Compared to that, the occasional hairball, ripped/shredded furniture or 'gift' bird/mouse/lizard carcass is small potatoes. However, as the internet isn't exactly short of cat discussions/photos/videos, we should probably stop now. :lol:

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm

GRA wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:Cats who never grew up want your lap, your attention, to be washed by you...big babies, they are.

With the huge advantage that there's no diaper changing, or needing to be walked to take care of business. And they clean up after themselves when done, these last two being their major advantage over dogs IMO. Compared to that, the occasional hairball, ripped/shredded furniture or 'gift' bird/mouse/lizard carcass is small potatoes. However, as the internet isn't exactly short of cat discussions/photos/videos, we should probably stop now. :lol:

Dogs are way better. But this thread is way off topic.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

8 years 33000mi. 7 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

pipestem
Delivery Date: 23 Sep 2017
Leaf Number: 327753

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:28 pm

ignoring the cats and dogs, this is a truly inspiring story. thanks SF.
2015 Leaf S. Red. 36960 miles. Great car but traded in for Tesla Model 3 on 12/17/2018.

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:46 am

LeftieBiker wrote:OTOH, the best environmental choice to make - one that has a vastly larger benefit than everything mentioned so far - is to choose to not have children. As I sit here in my gizmo-laden old house, with my $38k EV parked outside, heating with resistance heat to reduce fuel oil consumption, I at least know that I (and the woman with whom I live) didn't start an ever-multiplying horde of consumers. I have to laugh (to prevent a more angry response) at all the Yuppies and Liberals who think they are making the world a better place by having two or three or four kids to go out there and keep their "environmentalist" dream alive...or more likely, to rebel against their parents hypocrisy by rejecting their beliefs.

Or we could all just kill ourselves. Wouldn't that have even more "environmental benefit" than simply not having kids since as an added bonus, our dead selves wouldn't be alive consume or to have kids? 2 birds with one stone! :roll:

To the OP, great story!
2015 S with Charge Package

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”