GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: 250,000 All Electric miles on my Nissan LEAFs

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:02 am

golfcart wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:OTOH, the best environmental choice to make - one that has a vastly larger benefit than everything mentioned so far - is to choose to not have children. As I sit here in my gizmo-laden old house, with my $38k EV parked outside, heating with resistance heat to reduce fuel oil consumption, I at least know that I (and the woman with whom I live) didn't start an ever-multiplying horde of consumers. I have to laugh (to prevent a more angry response) at all the Yuppies and Liberals who think they are making the world a better place by having two or three or four kids to go out there and keep their "environmentalist" dream alive...or more likely, to rebel against their parents hypocrisy by rejecting their beliefs.

Or we could all just kill ourselves. Wouldn't that have even more "environmental benefit" than simply not having kids since as an added bonus, our dead selves wouldn't be alive consume or to have kids? 2 birds with one stone! :roll:

To the OP, great story!

Right? Isn't the whole point to preserve the earth's ability to support future generations? I mean if we literally had no kids, we would be the last generation. Why not drain the earth of its capacity to support life if it lets us live extravagantly? Fortunately not everyone sees things as Leftie does. He represents a loud (and angry) minority.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
Right? Isn't the whole point to preserve the earth's ability to support future generations? I mean if we literally had no kids, we would be the last generation. Why not drain the earth of its capacity to support life if it lets us live extravagantly? Fortunately not everyone sees things as Leftie does. He represents a loud (and angry) minority.

No need to live extravagantly but not reproducing is a bit extreme and I'm not gonna shame people for having kids. I also assume the OP isn't out joyriding for the sake of more EV miles. I assume that the OP is in a situation where driving those miles is necessary or at least prudent and that those miles would have otherwise been driven with an ICE vehicle that would have polluted more than the leaf did. So big picture I'm glad the OP did all of those miles in the Leaf if they needed to do those miles.

I suppose we all have to draw our line in the sand somewhere and demean anyone on the wrong side of that line... it is the internet after all. LOL
Last edited by golfcart on Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 S with Charge Package

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:

+100
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
golfcart wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:OTOH, the best environmental choice to make - one that has a vastly larger benefit than everything mentioned so far - is to choose to not have children. As I sit here in my gizmo-laden old house, with my $38k EV parked outside, heating with resistance heat to reduce fuel oil consumption, I at least know that I (and the woman with whom I live) didn't start an ever-multiplying horde of consumers. I have to laugh (to prevent a more angry response) at all the Yuppies and Liberals who think they are making the world a better place by having two or three or four kids to go out there and keep their "environmentalist" dream alive...or more likely, to rebel against their parents hypocrisy by rejecting their beliefs.

Or we could all just kill ourselves. Wouldn't that have even more "environmental benefit" than simply not having kids since as an added bonus, our dead selves wouldn't be alive consume or to have kids? 2 birds with one stone! :roll:

To the OP, great story!

So I guess we count you as another vote for "Save the planet by having more kids to talk about saving it." Sure, that will work. And the gratuitous strawman argument is also great.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: So I guess we count you as another vote for "Save the planet by having more kids to talk about saving it." Sure, that will work. And the gratuitous strawman argument is also great.

I can't speak for GetOffYourGas but I'm optimistic that we can find solutions allowing for both the survival of the planet and the continuation of our species.

I realize that there is a lot of "virtue signaling" environmentalism from well off people who say the right things and then do things that seem in conflict with the values they espouse. That is annoying, I agree, but let's try to see the forest for the trees. Most advanced economies are at replacement level or less already. If u want a kid or two I think it's fine to have them. If you don't... that's fine too.

LeftieBiker

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Some people seem to have gotten the idea that I'm promoting the idea that everyone on the planet immediately stop having children. I'm not. I'm suggesting that people who care about the environment ideally stop having children, and in particular that they immediately STOP having more than one or two - under the ridiculous delusion that the more eco-warriors they breed, the better off the planet will get. First, adopting existing children can accomplish that lofty (if unsupported by reality) goal. Second, I think that there is some sort of subconscious defense mechanism that overrides the forebrain when it comes to talking about NOT breeding: suddenly the person who has just suggested a few vasectomies and tubal ligations is trying to STOP EVERYONE FROM HAVING ANY CHILDREN, THUS ENDING HUMANITY IN ONE GENERATION!!!

Get real, folks, and stop thinking with your gametes.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:22 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:STOP EVERYONE FROM HAVING ANY CHILDREN, THUS ENDING HUMANITY IN ONE GENERATION!!!

Lol sometimes I can't resist a good troll.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:06 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:
golfcart wrote:

To the OP, great story!

So I guess we count you as another vote for "Save the planet by having more kids to talk about saving it." Sure, that will work. And the gratuitous strawman argument is also great.

No strawman. Reductio ad absurdum.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Emphasis on the absurdum. So you want to help the planet, huh? You want us to all stop using toilet paper, huh? Well, no! I reject your crazy argument (which I made for you).

downeykp
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Can anyone else agree that the last few pages have done nothing to further the accomplishments of Steve and his remarkable 250000 ev miles.
Enough gentleman!
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

8 years 33000mi. 7 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”