cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Leaf S discontinued??

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:12 am

LeftieBiker wrote:What does the SV lack that only the SL has? (Excluding leather seats.)

Seems summarized on page 9 of the brochure.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 am

The Canadian SL adds lighted mirrors and what was the Premium Package.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:08 am

I found the verbiage on page 5 amusing
NEW INNOVATIVE BATTERY
Nissan LEAF’s battery pack has been developed in-house,
rigorously tested, and has an extraordinary record of reliability,
meaning you can feel confident you are driving the best
battery technology around.

Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

But the last part...

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 am

cwerdna wrote:I found the verbiage on page 5 amusing
NEW INNOVATIVE BATTERY
Nissan LEAF’s battery pack has been developed in-house,
rigorously tested, and has an extraordinary record of reliability,
meaning you can feel confident you are driving the best
battery technology around.

Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

But the last part...

:roll:

Yeah that is like Russell Wilson not winning the MVP. Best Quarterback around, without any support...

As far as 2019 S's. They are here but Canada's supply and options have always been questionable and what is available in province isn't necessarily available in others. But then again, isn't that how all EV manufacturers operate?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dooglas
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 314779

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:43 am

cwerdna wrote:Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

Interesting point. When you read other general discussions about EVs, the issues of battery fires and high voltage risks come up. I have never seen a post here about a battery fire or high voltage accident/injury involving a Leaf. I'm sure one must have happened somewhere, but the risk appears to be quite low.
2013 Leaf SV - lease ended, 2016 Leaf S30 - purchased

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Dooglas wrote:
cwerdna wrote:Aside from degradation, reliability does seem pretty good. You should see the # of folks who've had entire packs replaced on "TMC". I can't think of any here other than for degradation. Faulty modules seem rare.

Interesting point. When you read other general discussions about EVs, the issues of battery fires and high voltage risks come up. I have never seen a post here about a battery fire or high voltage accident/injury involving a Leaf. I'm sure one must have happened somewhere, but the risk appears to be quite low.

Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it? Especially when other measures like conditioned forced air would be MUCH better than nothing.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:45 pm

LeftieBiker wrote: you have to get the expensive cold weather package, or you get the "2011 comfort level" meaning no heat pump

Hah, you could call it the "12,000 BC Comfort Level", meaning "you'll drive like it's the last ice age to save range".

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it?

What?? The risk of fire is lower because of the chemistry used in the cells. The lack of battery cooling is pretty much unrelated to the risk of fire, but if there is a correlation, it would be "higher risk" of fire because the pack can get hotter in normal driving. Or are you suggesting that a "liquid TMS" would use a highly flammable liquid...?
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Risk is lower due to no liquid TMS but the question becomes is the additional level of safety worth it?

What?? The risk of fire is lower because of the chemistry used in the cells. The lack of battery cooling is pretty much unrelated to the risk of fire, but if there is a correlation, it would be "higher risk" of fire because the pack can get hotter in normal driving. Or are you suggesting that a "liquid TMS" would use a highly flammable liquid...?

FWIW, I found https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/aerial_ign/pl ... hylene.pdf which does cover flammability on page 2.

But yes, it seems the bigger contributor is the chemistry of the cells.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Flammability of the Product:
May be combustible at high temperature.
Auto-Ignition Temperature: 398°C (748.4°F)
Flash Points: CLOSED CUP: 111°C (231.8°F). (Tagliabue.)
Flammable Limits: LOWER: 3.2%
Products of Combustion: These products are carbon oxides (CO, CO2).
Fire Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Slightly flammable to flammable in presence of open flames and sparks, of heat. Non-flammable in presence of shocks.
Explosion Hazards in Presence of Various Substances:
Risks of explosion of the product in presence of mechanical impact: Not available. Risks of explosion of the product in
presence of static discharge: Not available.
Fire Fighting Media and Instructions:
SMALL FIRE: Use DRY chemical powder. LARGE FIRE: Use water spray, fog or foam. Do not use water jet.
Special Remarks on Fire Hazards:
Not available.
Special Remarks on Explosion Hazards:
Explosive decomposition may occur if combined with strong acids or strong bases and subjected to elevated temperatures.

I think if EG were very flammable we'd see more fires starting in the cooling systems of ICE vehicles.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”