Illinois Insanity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcbrine

State Senator Martin Sandoval proposes a $1000 annual tax on EV ownership:

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/illinois-proposes-1000-annual-fee-on-evs/

Please let him and other legislators know how you feel about this, especially if you're actually in Illinois.

My leaf came from Illinois.
They must have wanted to get rid of it knowing the impending lunacy of EV taxing about to drop.

wmcbrine said:

Please let him and other legislators know how you feel about this, especially if you're actually in Illinois.

Pushed by Auto Dealers Association...

That is insane! My state is also kind of EV backward, no purchase credits for EVs, no ability to use carpool lanes, etc. and we also have a $75 surcharge for EVs on our tabs. And while $75 might not sound like a lot, I figured it out and figuring our state gas tax, what MPG the Leaf would get if it were a gas burner(I think I figured ~40mpg) it came out to something like 15k miles/year(probably average for people with an ICE??). To us this is way unfair, we generally drive our Leaf <7k miles/year so(as we did our ICEs) so in essence, we're paying 2x the road taxes on our tabs compared to a comparable gas burner :x
I don't have a problem paying my fair share of road taxes but 2x for a vehicle that burns gas....... :roll:

Compared to IL I'm good with no credts, deals, incentives, car pool lane access, free money, ect.
I bet any one looking for a leaf can get a sweet deal if they are willing to pay shipping from IL.

Arizona, as of the first of this year, does not have reduced EV registration. Governor wanted more money for Sheriffs dept. Easy money...

We should get breaks, we are not contributing more foul air to the planet. Our type of cars generally cost more new so give us a break...

All we get is $75 for installing a home charger.

Edit: The new higher Registration fee is scheduled to take affect in 2020 and this bill was written and passed by Republicans (by the way).

Evoforce said:
Arizona, as of the first of this year, does not have reduced EV registration. Governor wanted more money for Sheriffs dept. Easy money...

We should get breaks, we are not contributing more foul air to the planet. Our type of cars generally cost more new so give us a break...

AZ MVD web site still shows reduced vehicle license tax rate for alternative fuel vehicles. Registration fees were increased January 1 for all vehicles by a $32 per year "public safety" fee. Since AZ registration fees are based upon value, this fee is a big increase for owners of older vehicles. It is also a large increase for EVs because the alternative fuel registration fees were low before. Since I have several older vehicles in addition to the Leaf, this fee amounts to a major increase in my total annual registration cost (but nothing like the stupid Illinois tax).

GerryAZ said:
Evoforce said:

AZ MVD web site still shows reduced vehicle license tax rate for alternative fuel vehicles. Registration fees were increased January 1 for all vehicles by a $32 per year "public safety" fee. Since AZ registration fees are based upon value, this fee is a big increase for owners of older vehicles. It is also a large increase for EVs because the alternative fuel registration fees were low before. Since I have several older vehicles in addition to the Leaf, this fee amounts to a major increase in my total annual registration cost (but nothing like the stupid Illinois tax).

There was a bill introduced by a Mesa Republican Bob Worsley and Ducey signed it into law. I believed it was slated for 1/19 but I find it has a later start date of 2020. The bill was to raise registration of EV to same as ICE. DOT had decision to implement or not. I would be surprised if they don't...

Google Bob Worsley AZ EV registration. There is also a good ABC NEWS report on it.

Evoforce,

Wow, the news reports I saw did not list the alternative fuel rate changes. Even the articles I just found (thanks to your post) are ambiguous about when the new rate starts and what vehicles it covers. I was considering a new EV with longer-range battery, but will do some more research to see how much it might cost me (the 2015 Leaf assessed value is a lot lower than a new EV would be). Also, my registration is good through February 2022 so I won't see an increase on my EV registration until then if I keep the Leaf.

GerryAZ said:
Evoforce,

Wow, the news reports I saw did not list the alternative fuel rate changes. Even the articles I just found (thanks to your post) are ambiguous about when the new rate starts and what vehicles it covers. I was considering a new EV with longer-range battery, but will do some more research to see how much it might cost me (the 2015 Leaf assessed value is a lot lower than a new EV would be). Also, my registration is good through February 2022 so I won't see an increase on my EV registration until then if I keep the Leaf.

We need to fight against it but we are a small minority and they are counting on that we don't have the numbers to fight. Plus it was sneakily put through just like the raise on ICE registration. Of course, there are a ton of ICE owners railing against the ICE increase and some legislators are holding out on passing the State budget because of ICE increases. EV owners appear to not be represented in any fight against this new law as far as I know. I think many are unaware...

You know what this means.
They really aren't worried about and/or don't care about man made climate change.
Money is more important than environmental damage.

Oilpan4 said:
They really aren't worried about and/or don't care about man made climate change.

In your value system, perhaps.

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:

Illinois isn't my system.
Just pointing out an observation.
If you have a better explanation as to why a bunch of ill democrats are trying to kill the electric car in their state do tell.

Oilpan4 said:
More specifically, auto dealer money is more important to one particular scummy politician than other considerations.

What is your excuse ? A couple dollars a month are enough to buy your vote which then opens the door to politicians like the one in IL.

The $1000 figure is insane, but I do understand states that have surcharges. Maintenance on Roads and Bridges are largely funded by gas taxes. We still drive on those roads and should pay our fair share.

Evoforce said:

Say what? My registration including the DPS (not shurfs) fee was $67. Compare that to the ~$400 I paid for the first year on my 2016 Civic.

Unlike the state of Illinois I actually encourage people to buy second hand electric vehicles.

I made it very clear I don't want any government money.
Not for buying a certain kind of car, not for solar panels, I don't need to be bribed with free chargers, ect like you.

webb14leafs said:
The $1000 figure is insane, but I do understand states that have surcharges. Maintenance on Roads and Bridges are largely funded by gas taxes. We still drive on those roads and should pay our fair share.

Illinois roads aren’t funded by gas tax or registration fees
80% comes from grants, sales tax and the general fund.

So There is no need to tax “that one guy” $1000 a year with so few cars in the state.

Further Illinois charges similar “Municipal Substation Taxes” at similar rates as Rhode Island
See here
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsday.com/amp/long-island/lipa-tax-challenge-substations-1.26354926

It’s charged per kwhr and amounts to about $450 a year tax into the general fund per resident, meaning EVs in areas like this pay about 40% tax on their “fuel” which is far higher than gas tax. And it even goes into the same general fund most road funding funnels through.

People really need to stop knuckling over on these issues or the fees will continue to get more outlandish as more backlash occurs.

I don’t even burn anywhere near $500 a year to power my gas car, WTF would anyway pay a grand on the tax alone?

WetEV said:
Oilpan4 said:

One of the folks who bought a $3500 IMIEV a couple years ago then got bit by a dramatic increase in registration costs
looked into the fine for having expired registration and it was like $100 and rarely caught in the real world anyway.

My uncle was one of “those guys” silly taxes like this will result in more of “those guys” on the road

wmcbrine said:

Please post if this actually becomes law.

Back