EVDRIVER

Re: "D/B" on shifter?

Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Stewy13 wrote:Just thought I'd post my quick thoughts about this engine regen "problem".

Most cars now are programmable, recently I changed the settings on my friend's Sebring car and all I had to do was read the manual, follow some simple steps and if you did it correctly the car chimed. Sounds like another pretty simple fix, why not have it programmable like that?

However why not take advantage of the fact that we have a navigation system in the car and that'd be a simple interface for the "user" or driver to input settings on the car. I imagine you could make it as basic as; Active Regen On or Off? Or have "profiles" for drivers/driving modes.
Or my favorite; make use of that lovely GPS technology in the car and have the car's computer change settings based on either basic geological position or take it a step further and have it change almost constantly in the sense of; highway driving - no regen needed, hilly/urban area - regen on, and so forth.
I'd imagine Nissan going as far as geological area if they ever did do something like this, but it'd be nice if they allowed us drivers to input our settings on an app like Google Earth, you could literally have it set street by street. Sounds excessive, call me a dreamer, but I think with something as smart as an EV, it just fits.

Now besides all the above, if shifting into Neutral eliminated the regen brakes from applying, I think it'd be an acceptable compromise as I've been doing the same whenever I drive (ICE, but it's good practice for my EV right? ;) )

(Note: I'm just referring to regen braking when you have neither brake or accelerator depressed, not regen braking in general.)

Regen profiles should absolutely be programmable, all inverters and designed with the ability. I don't want to waste significant energy touching brake pads when stopping quickly or in a hurry or on steep hills. Those who are terrified of change can leave it set the way they like it an move on. There is no debate here if it's adjustable and if it's not then someone will find a way. It is so easy to have an adjustment, a few dollars in parts.

Stewy13
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2013

Wed May 26, 2010 7:59 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:Regen profiles should absolutely be programmable, all inverters and designed with the ability. I don't want to waste significant energy touching brake pads when stopping quickly or in a hurry or on steep hills. Those who are terrified of change can leave it set the way they like it an move on. There is no debate here if it's adjustable and if it's not then someone will find a way. It is so easy to have an adjustment, a few dollars in parts.

Oh absolutely agreed! It's just the people who want change and aren't afraid of it aren't in charge. Mind you Nissan IS making an ELECTRIC CAR... so maybe somewhere up there :D
I really wish the GPS street by street active system would happen, Nissan would just have to allow you to use a simple mapping program or even if you could goto a screen to go between those "profiles" and the car will map it on it's navigation and remember for you (Driver profile would be nice, some people do drive different), later you have enough data for your usual commute you leave it on "Auto", your data is uploaded to their central database and in time you'll have a general idea of what a stock car coming off the line in 5 years can come loaded with as default. Minimum effort and cost from Nissan, cloud effect from everyday driver's input, personal for the driver, allows you to have the same "advantage" when outside of your mapped area because of that database.

Seriously, can I just get a job somewhere important on this car's design or final design so we can get these ideas in? ;) Change?

daniel
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu May 27, 2010 7:16 am

Stewy13 wrote:... Now besides all the above, if shifting into Neutral eliminated the regen brakes from applying, I think it'd be an acceptable compromise as I've been doing the same whenever I drive (ICE, but it's good practice for my EV right?

Driving in neutral is illegal in many places for the common-sense reason that you lose some control over the car, not the least of which is that you cannot accelerate if circumstances require it. I know that some people routinely do this. But it is a very bad habit, and should be discouraged.

User-programmable characteristics would make it unnecessary, anyway. I agree that user programmability would be a very good thing, though I doubt Nissan will do it.
Reserved afternoon of 4/20.
"You can order" email late September, but was out of the country so...
Ordered very early October.
Dashboard says: more of the usual worthless Nissan b.s.
(Not on spreadsheet cuz I can't figure it out.)

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 am

It remains to be seen how Nissan will implement a "B" mode, if at all. So far, nobody has described a seperate B-mode, or how to enter and exit that mode.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Bicster

Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 am

garygid wrote:It remains to be seen how Nissan will implement a "B" mode, if at all. So far, nobody has described a seperate B-mode, or how to enter and exit that mode.

It's right there on the shifter. Mark Perry has mentioned it. The CNet video mentioned it. It's definitely for extra regen. True, we don't know exactly how it works.

I would assume it's a toggle between D/B based on how the shifter appears to work.
Reserved on April 20, 2010 - Never purchased

Bicster

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 pm

I see D/B has been replaced by D/ECO...

Reserved on April 20, 2010 - Never purchased

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Some information in that new .pdf....

* Extends range by 10% over standard city mode.
* Softer driving force characteristics (returns to drive setting when you aggressively accelerate).
* Improved energy regeneration.
* Power saving A/C setting.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 71,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:53 am

I don't get the idea behind that "ECO" mode...it's an electric car after all...the manner in which you drive a vehicle determines how "eco" you are, why does an EV need a mode for this? :?
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:36 am

To keep you "more honest" by limiting power ? But it also automatically switches A/C to a lower power mode ... which is kind of nice. Of course, it also uses this method to create more regen, which, I think, could be done in better ways (as discussed in other threads too). I assume (but have not read that anywhere) that heating also goes into lower power mode ... ?
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

EVDRIVER

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:59 am

There is a benefit to this mode for inexperienced drivers but only offering more regen on eco mode seems a bit odd since those driving more aggressively will want higher levels of regen and those driving slower will need less of the off pedal. It would be better to have a "custom" mode position where the user could set one of several profiles available to that position as a "favorite" It is a fully programmable electronic device after all and even some presets to chose from would be great. I hope they allow dealers to tweak settings to some degree, I'm getting tired of altering AC drive systems and EVs :?

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”