leonardvoet
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2012

Re: Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 am

leonardvoet wrote:
leonardvoet wrote:
smkettner wrote:Black and White wire to X & Y, those are the hot leads.

Green wire to the W which is a shared Ground/Neutral.

THANKS!!!!

I will switch the connections now and post back in 10 minutes.

BTW - I had:
Green to W
White and Black to X and Y

YAY!!! 4 hrs until a full charge!

leonardvoet
Delivery Date: 16 Aug 2012

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 am

smkettner wrote:X & Y can be swapped without issue. You had it right ;)

Green to W is the key.

Sorry - I meant white to W.

It's working like a champ now. I made my own extension cord.
I'll take some pix and write it up this weekend and post it, along with wiring connection instructions this weekend.

Thanks so much for your help. I sent you a PM, please reply :D

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:44 am

Hi Phil,

For the first time in 18 months of use, My LEAF did not charge on the timer as expected last night.

My 16 A upgrade had both the charging light and the red fault light on. the fault light went away after I unplugged and plugged it in again. I assume the fault may have been caused by the power outage I had last night, one of five I've had in the last ten days, due to recent storm conditions.

Seems to be working fine now, but I just wanted to suggest you add a fault light FAQ to your site, explaining what can set the fault light off, and what to do if you get it. I also vaguely remember (or mis-remember?) you suggesting unplugging during power outages to prevent potential damage to the EVSE, but this not possible when the power "blinks" off for just a moment, as is often the case.

Edit:
Well, maybe I should be concerned after all. I just checked the owners manual (page CH29) which states that when the Charging and fault lights are on:

When the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) malfunctions
Stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/ ... n-LEAF.pdf

Suggestions, anyone?
no condition is permanent

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Re: Fast Low Cost Charging - Upgrade your EVSE to 240V Level

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Ingineer wrote:
smkettner wrote:Seems like this should be in the one of the marketplace catagories for selling Leaf related items.

The goal of this thread is not to sell stuff, as that is covered elsewhere, rather it's to answer the questions that are being generated and reduce the confusion, as well as clarify how charging works in general. The 600+ posts in the old thread (now locked) should show how much of a hot topic this is. If this thread is hidden away, it's just going to mean more new threads posted with repetitive questions. What would you rather see?

-Phil

Got mine set up a few months ago. Alrady used: Dryer Outlet in a relative's home; 240vAC welding machine outlet at the company warehouse; 220VAC air conditioner outlet in a workshop (had a 40A breaker so I didn't need to put a penny under the contacts :-) ); RV hookup at a local Tenn. state park (used the outlet, opened 2 doors on one side, activated the remote climate control, set up the tent and had heated sleeping that night). Money well spent and fist class construction practices too.
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

gergg
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2012

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 am

Seems to be working fine now, but I just wanted to suggest you add a fault light FAQ to your site, explaining what can set the fault light off, and what to do if you get it. I also vaguely remember (or mis-remember?) you suggesting unplugging during power outages to prevent potential damage to the EVSE, but this not possible when the power "blinks" off for just a moment, as is often the case.

Edit:
Well, maybe I should be concerned after all. I just checked the owners manual (page CH29) which states that when the Charging and fault lights are on:

Wondering if there is an issue to be concerned about here?

EVDRIVER

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 am

gergg wrote:

Edit:

Wondering if there is an issue to be concerned about here?

The fault light is not a big concern unless it happens repeatedly. Are you repeatedly getting the fault light?

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am

Ok I DID look through a few other pages to see if this was addressed already (as well as using the sucky search tool) sooo, here goes;

How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?

will I let the smoke out?

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 am

hill wrote:Ok I DID look through a few other pages to see if this was addressed already (as well as using the sucky search tool) sooo, here goes;

How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?

Since it still can only deliver 16A max (assuming you have the Rev2 upgrade, or 12 for Rev1), the 6.6kw charger won't charge much faster than before. Maybe just a tiny bit faster.

Assuming no loss, 240V * 16A = 3.84 KW, so that's the most power the EVSE can deliver.

The 2013 S has a 3.6kw charger, so it'll charge a little bit faster than then old 3.3kw charger. The draw is still within the 16A limit.

A 6.6kw charger on the 2013 SV or SL can still only draw 16A max from the Rev2 EVSE upgrade, so the most it can draw is 3.8 kw (assuming no loss). But it won't smoke out.

davewill

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 am

hill wrote:How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?

I doubt anyone's been able to try it, yet. There's little danger of catastrophic failure (smoke), but there is a slight chance that it won't work for one reason or another. We've seen that sort of thing before.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:25 pm

That was my guess ... that it'll just sit there.
I wonder if Phil has begun work yet on Rev3 ;)

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”