Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Re: Buttons below driver's vent on dash?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:26 am

What is the blue "zero emissions" button in the lower right corner for? On another thread someone said that retracted the main panel for access to the CD slot and USB port, but I am dubious. Why?

1. Why would you label the sound system button "Zero Emissions"? Not only is there no logical connection, but the sound system is the one thing you WANT to emit.
2. If the main panel retracts, how do you access the control buttons like "Fast forward" etc. which are on that panel?
3. If the USB port is behind the panel, then your flash drive or other USB device is going block the panel from popping back into place and you won't have GPS, etc. while driving.
4. There was no authority given for the opinion that is what it was for.

So I'm back to my original questions + 1. Where is the CD slot? Where is the USB port? What is the "zero Emissions" button for?

JasonT

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 am

IceRaven wrote:1- What's the Bluetooth for? (logo below screen)
From the features and specifications page of the Nissan website:
Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System

Rat wrote:So I'm back to my original questions + 1. Where is the CD slot? Where is the USB port? What is the "zero Emissions" button for?
I would say panel opening is definitely how it works for CD - check out the photo at http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alt ... to_12.html. There is an Open/Tilt button below and to the right of the display.

As to your other two questions, I can only guess right now. My guess would be that the USB port is down where the ebrake switch is - but that is totally a guess, not based on any actual information. The Zero Emissions button probably jumps you straight to one of the screens displaying energy usage. Or maybe it just pops up a screen saying "hey, isn't it great that this car has zero emissions?" :D

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 am

1. Normally ... the screen can hinge up or down, then retract or not (often not), to expose the CD (and possibly a DVD slot), just for loading and unloading. For use, the screen swings back into place.

2. The "zero emissions" looks more like a logo than a button.

3. Bluetooth usually connects to a bluetooth-capable cell phone to "pretend" to be a microphone and headphone for hands-free phone usage. Many phones also support other functions over the BT link, like downloading their contact list into the car. The implementation in the 2010 Prius works quite well, although some functions are disabled while in motion.

Does the LEAF have any Voice-Input commands for Nav, Destination, Phone, etc.?

What are all the buttons on the steering wheel?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 am

Buttons on the wheel appear to be Left - controls for audio system Right - controls for cruise control (though the picture below is from the proto not the pre-production.

My guess for the USB/iPod interface would be what looks to be a covered dohickey on the front right of the console

2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 am

What is that in the right cup holder, possibly a USB device?

The 2010 Prius has an "activate voice command" button conveniently located on the steering wheel, and a good variety of useful voice commands.

One can actually enter an "address" type destination, speaking the city, street name, and street number.

However one cannot speak, or spell, an actual POI destination name, like "Acapulco Resturant". One can say "Mexican" to get a "nearby" Mexican Resturant short listing, but it is rarely useful, apparently because "nearby" is a very limited-range function, possibly only one or two miles, and can be in any direction.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Yanquetino

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:45 pm

I wonder which of those 8 "buttons" (two white; six black) will turn OFF the *&^%$#@! Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians. Whichever it is, Nissan will need to make it extra strong to survive innumerable jabs: my prediction is that most Leaf owners will push that sucker each and every time they get in the car.

EVDRIVER

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm

I will be adding a logic circuit that contacts that switch every time I turn on the key so I never have to touch it.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I will be adding a logic circuit that contacts that switch every time I turn on the key so I never have to touch it.

Unless it is a software button on the screen. Like the one for "watch the road not this navigation system when driving - Ok to agree" button.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss

Jimmydreams
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0175

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Until the sound is MANDATED by law, I will discreetly clip the wire running to the speaker. Or wire my own on/off switch. I refuse to turn it off each time I get in the car. :twisted:
JimmyD
http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar
Blue SL Leaf delivered 1/7/2011
EVP participant. EVSE: Blink
6.75kW PV solar

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:I will be adding a logic circuit that contacts that switch every time I turn on the key so I never have to touch it.

But how do you plan to turn on the key? I don't think there is a key.

[I know, you meant "every time I push the Power button". I'm just giving you a bad time.]
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”