Frequently Asked Questions about the Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q: What company is supplying the laminated lithium-ion batteries?

A: The battery is being built by AESC, the Automotive Energy Supply Corporation.

Q: How much will the Nissan LEAF cost?

A: At this point, we're unable to give an exact price, but we're targeting a price in the range of other typical family sedans.

Q:How far can you drive on a single charge?

A:The LEAF will have a range of 100 miles per charge under average, everyday driving conditions.

Q:How long does it take to charge the battery in the Leaf Electric Car?

A:The battery will charge in 4-8 hours on a 220V home charging unit. At quick-charge stations, it will charge to 80% in about 26 minutes.

Q:When will the LEAF be available in the U.S.?

A:The LEAF will be on the road in some states in 2010. Mass-production will begin in 2012.

Q:What is the acceleration and top speed of this car?

A:The LEAF handles and accelerates like a V6 car and has a top speed of up to 90mph.

Q:Will it sound like driving an electric golf cart? I would imagine it would be virtually silent?

A:Apologies, but design specs are not final and we can't be specific about this yet.

Q:What does the drivetrain look like? AC induction motors? Will it have wheel motors or a differential?

A:Inverter, electric motor and reduction gear set. Output shaft connects via CV joint to hub-and-carrier assembly.

Q:are electric cars the same as hydrogen cars

A:No - hydrogen vehicles use hydrogen combustion or fuel cells. The LEAF is 100% electric and rechargeable.

Q:Is their a waiting list to purchase one?

A:Not at the moment. Later, we plan to have an online pre-order system. For now, you can register for updates.

Q:What kind of stereo system does Nissan Leaf have? Can it play my iPod Touch?

A:No details on the exact system yet, but it will have AM, FM, CD, WM3 & MP3 capability with USB for iPods, etc.

Q:Can you install charge station by youself or have to be installed by a qualified electrician

A:Your Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) unit will need to be installed by a professional electrician.

Q:What is the estimated time for full charging with 110v, 220v and fast charge stations?

A:16-18 hours at 110V, 4-8 hours at 220V (depending on ampage), ~30 minutes to 80% at a quick-charge station.

Q:Will my golf clubs fit in the trunk?

A:Yes - the LEAF is a family car with ample passenger and cargo space.

Q:will the charger be built into the vehicle?

A:To charge, you will simply need to plug in to an appropriate charging station.

Q:what impact does manufacturing the batteries have?

A:The impact of produce the battery and EV is less than or equal to the impact of producing a similar ICE car.

Q:Are the components being used to build the battery environmentally sustainable?

A:The components of the battery can be reused and/or recycled. We are working on potential opportunities for this.

Q:Is there any timer so we can set up at what time the charger start and end?

A:You will be able to control the car's functions and set timers from any computer or internet-enabled phone.

Q:Will the Leaf be available in automatic and manual transmision?

A:There is no transmission in an electric car, but the experience is like driving an automatic.

Back