garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: use of solar panel at spoiler on roof?

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Maybe an inductive loop to put near the lights? Or, not.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

MikeBoxwell
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 am

garygid wrote:Just do not park in the shade.

I can imagine a whole new type of road-rage here, with angry solar car owners trying to keep out of the shade of high sided vehicles as they are driving along, or writing rude notes on the windshields of vans who dare park next to them and leave them in the shade! :lol:

bruceha2000

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Given that Toyota has said the optional panel on the 2010 roof does not generate enough electricity to be of value charging the traction battery, the small one on the Leaf spoiler would be pretty worthless.

The panel on the Prius only covers part of the roof as it ONLY comes with the 'moon roof'. One would hope that in the back labs somewhere, the engineers ARE thinking about ways to generate usable amounts of electricity from the roof and hood as is done on the EV distance race cars.
2004 Prius - 49 MPG
No Leaf - I live in Vermont, Nissan won't sell me one

gregoryjward
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2011

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I've been attempting to measure whether the solar panels are charging the battery or not. I have full sun on them around noon and am monitoring the 12-volt battery at around 12.62 volts on my digital voltmeter. Covering the panels doesn't change the voltage at all, even after waiting several minutes. Uncovering the panels again likewise does nothing. There should be at least a small change in voltage if the panel is charging the battery.

I also measured current directly. I never saw any reverse flow of current into the battery. In its quiescent state, the car seems to draw on the order of 20 milliamps from the 12-volt, probably to run the clock, keep the nav system memory, probe for the intellikey, etc. It's a very low draw, and it would take months to deplete the battery. Again, covering and uncovering the solar panel made no difference that I could detect even at this low current.

Opening a door and running the interior lights draws about 4 amps(!), then closing it again, the system continues to draw 1.5 amps for a few minutes, dropping to a lower level later on. I suspect that waking the system leaves it in a more alert state, running some computer or probing continuously for the key; who knows? My thought was that if the battery were fully charged to the point where the panel wasn't putting current in, then discharging the battery a bit for a few minutes should make a difference. It didn't seem to.

The upshot is that I can find no evidence that the solar panel is even connected to the 12-volt system, leaving a big mystery as to its purpose, beyond the obvious marketing gimmick.

-Greg

P.S. I read somewhere -- in the manual? -- that the Leaf wakes itself up every week or two to recharge the 12-volt battery from the traction battery using its DC-DC converter, just to make sure it doesn't go dead. The solar panel is really not needed, even for keeping a charge on the lead-acid battery in other words.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

gregoryjward wrote:I've been attempting to measure whether the solar panels are charging the battery or not. I have full sun on them around noon and am monitoring the 12-volt battery at around 12.62 volts on my digital voltmeter. Covering the panels doesn't change the voltage at all, even after waiting several minutes. Uncovering the panels again likewise does nothing. There should be at least a small change in voltage if the panel is charging the battery.

In the service manual it looks like the solar panel is more-or-less directly wired to the 12v battery. As a result, you're probably measuring "backflow" from the actual 12v battery. The proper testing procedure, according to the service manual, is to disconnect the 12v battery negative terminal, then measure the voltage across the positive and negative terminals. That will effectively remove the battery from the equation...

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

IBELEAF
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Forgive me for a dumb question, but I was wondering if you leave your lights with fogs in the sun for 8 hours would the battery die or solar panel would be putting enough charge to keep it alive?
Currently: '12 Volt (12k) since 7/2012
Previously: '11 Leaf SL (w/ 12k miles & 16 month ownership)

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

I have directly measured the output of the solar panel. It is about 5 watts in full, mid-day, direct sun. Hardly enough to be of any real use. If you haven't changed out the four incandescent bulbs for LEDS, with the headlights on you have a draw of about 42 watts.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:42 pm

gregoryjward wrote:I've been attempting to measure whether the solar panels are charging the battery or not. [...] I also measured current directly. I never saw any reverse flow of current into the battery.

I did the same test, saw the same behavior, and I did see the current go to zero, then negative. The most current I saw going into the battery was around 35 mA. I figure in bright sun, it's almost enough to offset the draw when the system's asleep, on average. Not much at all.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

EVDRIVER

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:51 pm

It's a gimmick, I would rather have seen it gone and have the money toward a better stereo, a few more tablespoons of paint, extra spray on carpet. etc. It is clear a bunch of marketing boobs that it would be cool :lol:

gregoryjward
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2011

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:19 pm

GeekEV wrote:
gregoryjward wrote:I've been attempting to measure whether the solar panels are charging the battery or not. I have full sun on them around noon and am monitoring the 12-volt battery at around 12.62 volts on my digital voltmeter. Covering the panels doesn't change the voltage at all, even after waiting several minutes. Uncovering the panels again likewise does nothing. There should be at least a small change in voltage if the panel is charging the battery.

In the service manual it looks like the solar panel is more-or-less directly wired to the 12v battery. As a result, you're probably measuring "backflow" from the actual 12v battery. The proper testing procedure, according to the service manual, is to disconnect the 12v battery negative terminal, then measure the voltage across the positive and negative terminals. That will effectively remove the battery from the equation...

I replied to this once, but my post got lost(?)

Thanks GeekEV for the tip -- I tried it and indeed the solar panel provides voltage to the system with the battery disconnected. Covering the panel causes the voltage to drop from 12 (or so) down to 1 or 2 volts, proving that the panel *is* doing something.

My faith is restored that it isn't a completely empty marketing ploy, at least.

-Greg

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”