Car Driving noise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evguy

Taken from CarTech Blog

According to a recent Bloomberg article, the Nissan Leaf all-electric vehicle will be equipped with a noise generator that will add a futuristic sound to the silent vehicle at low speeds.

Nissan Motor engineer Toshiyuki Tabata was charged with recreating the sound of a gasoline engine to increase safety for blind pedestrians and to address the potential for U.S. and Japanese mandates for adding artificial sounds to silent EVs.

"We fought for so long to get rid of that noisy engine sound," said Tabata, Nissan's noise and vibration expert. With electric cars, "we took a completely different approach and listened to composers talk music theory."

The end result should end up sounding something like the high-pitched sound emitted from the flying cars (or Spinners) in the 1982 film "Blade Runner," which is set in the year 2019.

Tabata states that the sound generator would automatically start with the car and shut off at 12 mph, where tire noise--and in the case of HEVs, a gasoline engine--would generate a naturally noticable sound.

Any thoughts on that? I guess from a safety standpoint, it would still be nice to be able to hear an electric car coming down the road towards you. Think kids playing hockey in the street.

The noise will be an excellent safety measure but not only that, its high pitch futuristic sound will sound super cool...

Ha, maybe it will actually be more dangerous... the noise will make people look up thinking there is a flying car and then a Nissan Leaf takes them out at the knees :lol:

Did anyone read this article?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aIqaK2fByA.8

I don't get what they are talking about. The flying car noise that will make it soudn like a vehicle from Blade Runner makes sense, but what is this about a noise generator that makes a cat meow and 16 other sounds? I can see how the noise regulation police (or whoever the group is) would be getting annoyed and trying to figure out how to regulate the 'allowed sounds' that an electric vehicle can produce!

I certainly hope this is a joke! I do not like noise. The noise of the cooling system is one of the very few things I do not like about the Tesla Roadster. Let's have a quiet car, and a back-up beeper for backing out of parking spaces.

Tokyotony said:
The noise will be an excellent safety measure but not only that, its high pitch futuristic sound will sound super cool...
Well, it might sound cool in some circles, but there is absolutely ZERO evidence that it will improve safety. The vast majority of car v pedestrian injuries and deaths occur at the 'hands' of noisy gassers.

Reminds me of this rule.

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles02/article1040.shtml

A law was passed-the so-called red-flag law-which insisted, not only that the steam stagecoaches be preceded by a man walking with a red flag in his hand, but that the speed of the coaches be limited to four miles an hour.

and this

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1657686,00.html

horsey_horseless.jpg

ps : Now can we ban usage of MP3 players by pedestrians ?

evguy said:
Any thoughts on that? I guess from a safety standpoint, it would still be nice to be able to hear an electric car coming down the road towards you. Think kids playing hockey in the street.

Uh....teach people to look both ways before crossing the street? And teach DRIVERS to watch for pedestrians (for those who are deaf) instead of their texting/phone/makeup/food/whatever.

I think adding noise is completely unnecessary. :|

Also, you don't hear cars (much) approaching you, you hear them receding away from you.

Adding sound to electric cars is simply stupid.

Thankfully, such a noisemaker should be easy enough to disable. Speakers aren't high voltage and all you need to do is clip a single wire.

It's really ridiculous. Why not just take it to the other extreme and require all cars to have 120db loudspeakers blaring white noise all the time just to make *sure* everyone can hear them? As if there's a uniform noise level from cars currently. And there's no studies that show that quiet cars are more dangerous. On the other hand, there are *ample* reports that show that SUVs are far more likely to back over kids due to the reduced back-up visibility (the reason that it became popular to add in backup cams to SUVs).

At least the CA bill requiring such noise failed to become law.

But, if I have to, a truck horn sound should wake some folks up. Around here, many just walk out in front of cars without even looking in any direction.

Apparently, here in CA it is still illegal to run over a jaywalking illegal alien.

But, if an illegal alien, driving a "borrowed" pickup, without a license or insurance, runs a red light and injures you and totals your car, the police just let him go. Yep, actually happened to my wife a couple years back.

KarenRei said:
Thankfully, such a noisemaker should be easy enough to disable. Speakers aren't high voltage and all you need to do is clip a single wire.

It's really ridiculous. Why not just take it to the other extreme and require all cars to have 120db loudspeakers blaring white noise all the time just to make *sure* everyone can hear them? As if there's a uniform noise level from cars currently. And there's no studies that show that quiet cars are more dangerous. On the other hand, there are *ample* reports that show that SUVs are far more likely to back over kids due to the reduced back-up visibility (the reason that it became popular to add in backup cams to SUVs).

Maybe another contributing factor to kids being backed over by SUVs is that mothers can't hear their children crying out "STOP MOMMY STOP!" over the racket produced by a V8 that was designed in the 60's.

How about a device for blind people that provides them with an audible signal when an EV is approaching. "EV approaching 6 o'clock!" There should be an app for that.

Now that I think about it there's an opportunity here. With Karen's loudspeaker idea, you could make it configurable how you want your EV to sound. Maybe I'd like a Model T, or a 67 corvette, or a Harley (that one may be copyrighted). New car sounds could be downloadable for a fee. Better yet it could be tied into the entertainment system so a canceling wave is added and you don't hear it inside, you annoy everyone else but not you!

Yes, I think a speaker (a PA system) instead of a horn would be splendid.

The "Horn" button would then play the std-horn.mp3 file (or custom-horn.mp3 if it exists) which would allow one to customize the horn sound without installing new horns.

With the internal microphone (for when a bluetooth-connected cell phone is used), this PA speaker could be used: "Excuse me please.", "Rodney, please move your bicycle out of the driveway.", or "Cynthia, I an going to back up. Where are you?", etc. In my opinion, very useful, and not expensive if designed in, but awkward to add "cleanly" later.

Are there Voice Commands to the Leaf Navigation system?
Can they be used while moving?
Can one control "almost everything" via the voice commands?

Back