Statik

Re: Worldwide Plugin Sales Numbers

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:41 am

Good month, Nissan sold 1,579 LEAFs, thats up 60%.

...and some shameless self-promotion:

Advertising + Cheap Leases Equals Big Sales Gains For Nissan LEAF. 1,579 Sold In October
http://insideevs.com/advertising-cheap- ... n-october/

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Proof once again that EV sales ARE price sensitive! If Nissan wants to maintain any kind of momentum going forward that are going to have to continue such deals on the 2013s...

Statik wrote:Good month, Nissan sold 1,579 LEAFs, thats up 60%.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

TomT wrote:Proof once again that EV sales ARE price sensitive! If Nissan wants to maintain any kind of momentum going forward that are going to have to continue such deals on the 2013s...
Perhaps, but how much of a loss can Nissan afford to take on each LEAF? A long term strategy is nice but at some point they will need to sell the cars at a profit rather than blow them out the door at a big loss.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

CarZin
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Electric vehicles are a long term play. I think Nissan, and all the electric car manufacturers, need to find the price point that makes the car attractive. Then work like hell to get components of the car to the point where they can make an acceptable margin. But before then, you'll have to sell it for a loss.

It really isnt unlike the Microsofr xbox. Microsoft reportedly was losing a ton on the xbox. They new as the console aged, and components came down in price, they'd make money. But they also knew they'd sell none if the sold it at a profit initially.
Visit my blog at [url]voltowner.blogspot.com[/url]
Twitter: @voltdriver
As of 9/23/13 $610 in electricity to travel 33,877 electric miles.

2012 Chevy Volt Owner

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 pm

CarZin wrote:Electric vehicles are a long term play. I think Nissan, and all the electric car manufacturers, need to find the price point that makes the car attractive. Then work like hell to get components of the car to the point where they can make an acceptable margin. But before then, you'll have to sell it for a loss.

It really isnt unlike the Microsofr xbox. Microsoft reportedly was losing a ton on the xbox. They new as the console aged, and components came down in price, they'd make money. But they also knew they'd sell none if the sold it at a profit initially.

This only works if what you put out the door is something that inspires confidence in the early buyers. Nissan started out great, but then when problems with the car surfaced, they have really started to shoot themselves in the foot. They need to address issues quickly so that owners have confidence and will spread the word. Plenty of us that like our cars are not promoting it any longer because of this. No way to make money later if you don't have a base following who will encourage others and repurchase themselves. Prius is a good example. I've owned three, and I'd buy another and I promote it to people who ask about my car. I can't say the same about my Leaf. Unless something changes, I would not buy another nor am I promoting it.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

GRA

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm

palmermd wrote:
CarZin wrote:Electric vehicles are a long term play. I think Nissan, and all the electric car manufacturers, need to find the price point that makes the car attractive. Then work like hell to get components of the car to the point where they can make an acceptable margin. But before then, you'll have to sell it for a loss.

This only works if what you put out the door is something that inspires confidence in the early buyers. Nissan started out great, but then when problems with the car surfaced, they have really started to shoot themselves in the foot. They need to address issues quickly so that owners have confidence and will spread the word. Plenty of us that like our cars are not promoting it any longer because of this. No way to make money later if you don't have a base following who will encourage others and repurchase themselves. Prius is a good example. I've owned three, and I'd buy another and I promote it to people who ask about my car. I can't say the same about my Leaf. Unless something changes, I would not buy another nor am I promoting it.

+1. Nissan has seemingly done everything they possibly could to alienate the early adopter base, their best salespeople. Incredibly stupid of them, and how long can they afford to keep pumping $4,500 per car to dealers in places like California?

Let's see, if they sold 500 cars here last month, that cost them $2.25 million. No one's suggested it was necessary, but even if they'd offered to buy back every single one of the 450 Leafs sold in Arizona for $35k apiece and did so, it would cost them less than $16 million, and they wouldn't have pissed off so many customers and potential customers who formerly supported them. And you have to wonder just how much they're running up in attorney fees fighting the class action suit and others.

Aaargh! It's incredibly frustrating to see a company act so stupidly!
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

September
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2011

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 pm

One white and one black LEAF were sold in Ireland in October.

GRA

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Saw the following in Green Car Reports today:

"In a first, more than 100 Ford Focus Electric hatchbacks were sold in October: 118 to be specific.

"And in a surprise, Ford also sold 144 of the plug-in hybrid Ford C-Max Energi--earlier than expected--meaning that the company sold more than 250 plug-in cars in a month for the first time ever."
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

September
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2011

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 am

Ireland (Nov): 4 LEAFs or 0.45% of market

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 am

September wrote:Ireland (Nov): 4 LEAFs or 0.45% of market

Why is the sale so low ? I thought Ireland was going have have all wired up with QC - did that not happen ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”