Steering Rack for 2013 Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinleaf

I have a steering rack that was taken off my 2013 Leaf. I bent the inner tie rod on the driver's side pretty bad, as you can see in the pics:
http://www.liebwerks.com/cargallery/index.php/Steering-Rack-for-Nissan-Leaf-2013-SL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe it can be bent back but "caveat emptor". The rack worked without any binding or problems at all when it was still installed on the car, I just could not get it aligned. Best bet is if you have one with a bent inner tie rod end on the other side and want to combine the two to make one that works.

$200 O/B/O plus shipping.

Again., use, safety, installation, repair, suitability to the application etc is all up to the buyer of this rack.

2014-01-26%2011_39_58.jpg

Excuse me for hijacking your ad but I have one from a 2011 similar damage to the passenger (other) side. Its also working fine and would make a fine combination with this one by providing the straight tie rod for the left hand side. Includes the both tie rod ends. Would be happy to sell it for $150 obo.

Steve

I believe they are a different part number.

17" wheel gear box for 2013:
48001-3NF2A
*This is the one I have*

16" gear box for 2013:
48001-3NF0A

On the 2011 I see:
48001-3NA0D

I've had a request to send the inner tie rod ends only but I am not sure how they come out. See the additional pics added at the end here:
http://www.liebwerks.com/cargallery/index.php/Steering-Rack-for-Nissan-Leaf-2013-SL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are they just threaded on with like a 32mm wrench size?
Anyone know if they are right or left threads or different on each side?

I tried briefly to take the damaged one off but did not have any luck. I might not have been turning it hard enough but not knowing left/right threaded I didn't want to go crazy on it.

And I verified the rack that was taken off is labeled 3NF2AF2 which indicates it is a rack for 17" tires. I am not sure what the difference is.

I don't see the difference be interesting to compare them side by side. I'm kinda doubting its a new part. When I was looking at replacements the Juke's steering box also appeared to be quite similar if not the same and it also has a different part number.

Steve

Still for sale. I have an offer for the parts but I really don't have the time to take it apart. Anyone interested?

Sold! I am shipping the whole rack out to a member in Atlanta.

I could not separate the inner tie rod ends from the rack. I didn't have the right tools to really get it done. A real mechanic with better tools and proper space to work could probably do it pretty quickly. Once the inner tie rod ends are off I think a hydraulic press could straighten the bent piece. I would not heat them: this will remove any factory hardening that was done to the metal.

Hi
Can you tell me what is involved in changing the rack, does the steering column have to be taken out first or is there enough movement of the rack once the bolts are out, for the rack to be pulled off the steering column, or does steering column shaft push off (telescopic)

My car is RH drive 2014 model (UK built) but I would expect the job is the same on LH drive.

And can someone confirm that is is possible to unscrew the rack end joints from the rack on this, as you can with many other Nissans for example Almera N16 etc thankyou.

Will

Hi
Can you tell me what is involved in changing the rack, does the steering column have to be taken out first or is there enough movement of the rack once the bolts are out, for the rack to be pulled off the steering column, or does steering column shaft push off (telescopic)

My car is RH drive 2014 model (UK built) but I would expect the job is the same on LH drive.

And can someone confirm that is is possible to unscrew the rack end joints from the rack on this, as you can with many other Nissans for example Almera N16 etc thankyou.

Will
Hi Will, did you manage to swap your rack out? Was it a big job? Thanks

Back