1 week old Juicebox 40

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutoHaulersinc

Ok, so here is the story. Ordered my JuiceBox 40a. Love it BTW, very well made. Used it 2 times and decided since I get decent WiFi signal in the garage, I will (eventually) buy the unit that has WiFi for $100 more.

I put the feelers out in the community that I wanted to sell it and buy the Pro. The person who turned me onto the Leaf told a lady who just bought a Leaf that I had the box. She called me and told me she wanted it "for sure" for $500. I paid almost $540 with shipping. So, thinking I had it sold I ordered the Pro.

Now she is backing out of the sale and i'm stuck with 2 boxes now. Ill take a loss if anyone wants it. $450 plus whatever shipping is. Im in the Dallas TX area.

Can text or email pics, its perfect and have only had it for a week. 940.206.9363 The guys at JB said it will still be under warrantee to the new owner.

It has the upgrade 23' cord, quick release wall mount, and the gun holder.

AutoHaulersinc said:
Ok, so here is the story. Ordered my JuiceBox 40a. Love it BTW, very well made. Used it 2 times and decided since I get decent WiFi signal in the garage, I will (eventually) buy the unit that has WiFi for $100 more.

I put the feelers out in the community that I wanted to sell it and buy the Pro. The person who turned me onto the Leaf told a lady who just bought a Leaf that I had the box. She called me and told me she wanted it "for sure" for $500. I paid almost $540 with shipping. So, thinking I had it sold I ordered the Pro.

Now she is backing out of the sale and i'm stuck with 2 boxes now. Ill take a loss if anyone wants it. $450 plus whatever shipping is. Im in the Dallas TX area.

Can text or email pics, its perfect and have only had it for a week. 940.206.9363 The guys at JB said it will still be under warrantee to the new owner.

I used to be a trusting person and took everyone at their word. I have also been burned so unfortunately it is money up front now. I built up two basic JuiceBox's. For a no frill EVSE they work fine.

GlennD said:
AutoHaulersinc said:

I used to be a trusting person and took everyone at their word. I have also been burned so unfortunately it is money up front now. I built up two basic JuiceBox's. For a no frill EVSE they work fine.

I'm so new to all this so I don't know any better, but I figured $569 from them delivered with the WiFi option, 23' cord, quick release mount etc was pretty good. when you says frills, what do you mean? I imagine some sort of display which would be nice.

AutoHaulersinc said:
GlennD said:
AutoHaulersinc said:

I'm so new to all this so I don't know any better, but I figured $569 from them delivered with the WiFi option, 23' cord, quick release mount etc was pretty good. when you says frills, what do you mean? I imagine some sort of display which would be nice.

A while back they posted some special prices. Basically you got the EVSE board, relay, and power supply for $100. The links are on page 18 of the JuiceBox thread.
To this you need to add a case, input power cable, and J1772 cable. A 25Ft 30A Yazaki cable is $125 plus $20 from Ebay. A 25 FT 40A cable is around $204 shipped from Quick Charge Power. A 50A 4Ft range cable with a molded 14-50P is around $20 from Amazon. It will just fit into an 8x8x4 inch electrical junction box from Home Depot ($22).

All of this assumes that you have an electrical background, Remember you can be killed with this. From a safety standpoint buying an already assembled unit is better if you have no background.

Remember the car sets the current. More current is ignored. Most non Tesla cars require 30A or less. A Tesla or a Tesla powered car can charge at 40A.

I see people over buying in the hope that the car will charge faster. It does not work that way. A late Leaf SL says that it can take 27.5A. As long as that much current is available you are good to go. A 28A EVSE or the spec max of 80A are all the same to the car. In the case of the 80A EVSE a whole lot of current is wasted. Not to mention your lighter wallet!

Clipper Creek makes a full line of EVSEs. Over buying gets expensive fast.

GlennD said:
Remember the car sets the current. More current is ignored. Most non Tesla cars require 30A or less. A Tesla or a Tesla powered car can charge at 40A.

I see people over buying in the hope that the car will charge faster. It does not work that way. A late Leaf SL says that it can take 27.5A. As long as that much current is available you are good to go. A 28A EVSE or the spec max of 80A are all the same to the car. In the case of the 80A EVSE a whole lot of current is wasted. Not to mention your lighter wallet!

Clipper Creek makes a full line of EVSEs. Over buying gets expensive fast.

Need a bit of advice, please...

I've been hearing/reading that I should install 50A breaker to my new panel (brand new active/passive solar home I designed) to "future-proof" my installation, with #6 wire to a nearby outlet (luckily, it only needs to be installed approx. 18" from panel in adjacent stud bay), to a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

I haven't purchased my EVSE yet, but PSE rebates up to $500 so it will be a commercial unit (sorry, GlennD). Let's say I buy a 30A unit (take your pick of vendors; they are ubiquitous).

Am I on the right path here? Are my numbers correct (wire gauge, breaker, etc.)? Will I be wasting any current with this particular setup, as GlennD suggested above?

FINAL NOTE: I traded my new 120V EVSE that came with the car for an EVSEupgrade unit with the NEMA L6-30 twist end. I was going to buy the $37 NEMA 14-XX adapter (14-20, 14-30, 14-50 compatible) to go with it. That way if my L2 home charger goes on the fritz, I can use my cord in the same NEMA 14-50 outlet, correct? Can anyone explain the specs/capability of this EVSEupgrade unit (leaning more toward layman's terms)?

AutoHaulersinc said:
sounds about right but not sure of the 18" from the panel part....think of the dryer or oven in your house,,,much father than that...
I hadn't heard of a risk about having it too close to the panel.
My dryer plug was installed (by electricians, not me) pretty darn close to my panel in the garage. I'd say less than 18" easy, but not home now..

desiv

desiv said:
AutoHaulersinc said:
sounds about right but not sure of the 18" from the panel part....think of the dryer or oven in your house,,,much father than that...
My dryer plug was installed (by electricians, not me) pretty darn close to my panel in the garage. I'd say less than 18" easy, but not home now..

desiv
NO I meant 18' sounds really close....my outlet is 6 feet away from the panel and many peoples panels are locations when the outlet will need to be farther away than 18"

AutoHaulersinc said:
desiv said:
AutoHaulersinc said:

desiv
NO I meant 18' sounds really close....my outlet is 6 feet away from the panel and many peoples panels are locations when the outlet will need to be farther away than 18"
Mine used about 5-6' of wire and a few feet of conduit, but is probably only 12" away from the panel (but to avoid the stud, the conduit needed to U bend around from the bottom and around the stud).

You only need $6 for the two lines. The ground and neutral can be #8

As for the 18 inchs vs a 4 ft range cable. All I can say there is different standards.

Back