UPDATE! [FS] 2013 Nissan LEAF S! Seat Warmers! 12 bars! QC! 6KW! L2! $9500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarcucci7

Hey guys, got another LEAF in. Offering it on ebay. Feel free to make me an outside offer. At the bottom of the listing is the vehicle history report and tons of photos. My number is 7175760932, feel free to text or call me anytime. Vehicle history report and very high res photos available on the ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Leaf-S-/272084211688?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

LeftieBiker said:
Close to the same condition as my car's battery. It should sell.

What's your take on this? https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/3x0htv/state_of_health_improved_from_92_to_97/

lmarcucci7 said:
LeftieBiker said:
Close to the same condition as my car's battery. It should sell.

What's your take on this? https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/3x0htv/state_of_health_improved_from_92_to_97/

Charging to 100% balances the pack, and so can increase the health a stats a bit. Charging to 100% all the time isn't a great idea, nor is leaving it sitting at 100% for more than a few hours. You can try charging it to 100% a couple of times and taking another reading, but don't expect a huge increase in health or capacity.

Hmm, I was under the impression that lithium packs self-balance(Using their own balancing circuit because lithium packs like to go boom boom if not charged right) , unlike NiMH packs used in the prius/HCH. Is there something about charging them to 100% that enables the self-balancing circuit to balance more effectively?

lmarcucci7 said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that lithium packs self-balance(Using their own balancing circuit because lithium packs like to go boom boom if not charged right) , unlike NiMH packs used in the prius/HCH. Is there something about charging them to 100% that enables the self-balancing circuit to balance more effectively?

Yes. While some balancing happens as it reaches 80% charge, the Leaf does a full balance only at 100%. This is actually pretty common with lithium battery packs. I have to charge my 24 volt Ping bicycle pack to 100% every now and then to balance it properly.

Interesting. I have rebuilt a ton of NiMH packs in my day, but I haven't fooled around with any lithium packs. It's nice that lithium packs have a "grid charger" built in LOL. For a goof, I am going to find a DC fast charger tomorrow and charge to 100%.

NiMh packs are the only chemistry I know of that is "bottom balanced." You might get better results with complete L-2 charging than a QC station, but I'm not sure.

Can you
LeftieBiker said:
NiMh packs are the only chemistry I know of that is "bottom balanced." You might get better results with complete L-2 charging than a QC station, but I'm not sure.

Can you explain what you mean by bottom balanced means? When I used to revive old nimh packs, I would use a grid charger and a pretty good fan for cooling. All I would do was charge at such a low charge that the overcharged cells would shed the excess charge as heat and the undercharged cells would be charged up and be balanced with the rest of the pack.

Are you possibly referring discharging to .9v/cell and "cycling" the nimh packs to balance them?

I don't know enough about the process to describe it. My guess is that the cells are discharged, and the BMS adjusts discharge cell by cell so they all reach the same low reading. Top balancing happens at 100% charge, when the BMS shuts off charging to the cells that reach the correct high voltage, while allowing cells with lower voltages to continue to charge until they too reach it.

Back