Dryer Buddy #1 - outlet splitter for EV charging station for sale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

Dryer Buddy #1 - outlet splitter for EV charging station for sale

Allows you to share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. Allows both to share the 30A circuit. Your total budget is 80% (24amps). As running a Dryer on no-heat/tumble-dry doesn't use nearly as much power as high heat, a ammeter is included so you may see how much current your dryer uses and you can use the rest to charge your car! Or just charge at night when not doing laundry and use the full circuit to charge your car. Great for apartment dwellers, temp housing or a easy hookup at a friends/relatives house. Housed in a very solid 6x6x4 PVC gray box.

Build with NEMA 10-30 outlets and Plug. This was the common dryer plug before 1996. I can customize one for you with which ever plug/socket combo you would like.

$105.00 + $16 shipping in the continental US.
I offer a 1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my Dryer Buddy's

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6ei1dkkqwbiwz/BSAelectronics EVSE flyer.pdf?dl=0

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE or Dryer Buddy. Private message me or if you have a general question you think the rest of the community can benefit from post it here.

garygid said:
A 30 amp circuit, breaker, and socket is only rated for 24 amps continuous use, right?
Though I don't have a definitive source I believe receptacles are rated for continuous use, so I believe a 30 amp receptacle would be rated for 30 amps continuous. A 30 amp circuit is rated for continuous use. The only part that is virtually always not rated for 30 amp continuous use is the circuit breaker.

QueenBee said:
garygid said:
A 30 amp circuit, breaker, and socket is only rated for 24 amps continuous use, right?
Though I don't have a definitive source I believe receptacles are rated for continuous use, so I believe a 30 amp receptacle would be rated for 30 amps continuous. A 30 amp circuit is rated for continuous use. The only part that is virtually always not rated for 30 amp continuous use is the circuit breaker.
No, the circuit must be de-rated to 80% for continuous use (3 hours or more), i.e. 24A. Receptacles are rated for non-continuous use. Googling "nec continuous use" will bring up numerous references/discussions, but here's the NEC:
Continous Load. A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more
art 100 definitions, pg 70-20 top...

220-3(b)(1) pg 70-48, branch, feeder & service calc...
Specific Appliance loads An outlet for a specific appliance or other load not covered in (2) through (11) shall be computed based on the amperage rating of the appliance or load served.

GRA said:
QueenBee said:
garygid said:
No, the circuit must be de-rated to 80% for continuous use (3 hours or more), i.e. 24A. Receptacles are rated for non-continuous use. Googling "nec continuous use" will bring up numerous references/discussions, but here's the NEC:
Continous Load. A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more
art 100 definitions, pg 70-20 top...

220-3(b)(1) pg 70-48, branch, feeder & service calc...
Specific Appliance loads An outlet for a specific appliance or other load not covered in (2) through (11) shall be computed based on the amperage rating of the appliance or load served.

CIte your source that a receptacle is or is not rated for continuous use.

When you are doing the derating with regards to NEC if your circuit breaker is rated for 100% continuous load you no longer have to derate the conductors so you are derating because the circuit breaker is not rated for 100% continuous load not because the conductor is not.

So as far as I can tell if you have your standard #10 wire, 30 amp breaker, and 30 amp receptacle you can put a 24 amp continuous load on this (ignoring a bunch of other assumptions and rules). But If you replace your service panel with one that uses circuit breakers that are rated for 100% continuous load at their given rating all of sudden your #10 wire and 30 amp receptacle can now be used for a 30 amp continuous load. (ignoring a bunch of other assumptions and rules)

smkettner said:
I thought everything derates with a continuous load of three plus hours.
There is an exception for when you use a circuit breaker which has a continuous load rating of 100% of its rating, in that case I don't think you have to derate anything because of it being a continuous load.

QueenBee said:
But If you replace your service panel with one that uses circuit breakers that are rated for 100% continuous load at their given rating all of sudden your #10 wire and 30 amp receptacle can now be used for a 30 amp continuous load.
That is correct. However, such service panels don't exist for the residential market, so as a practical matter you are stuck with the 80% derating.

The 30 amp breaker itself is actually already tested to hold for a 30 amp continuous load. The issue is that the enclosure has to be designed to shed heat from the breaker (and any other breakers) so that with a continuous 30 amp load the breaker won't trip prematurely. And the combination of the breaker and enclosure has to be tested and listed for that 100% continuous load.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
QueenBee said:
But If you replace your service panel with one that uses circuit breakers that are rated for 100% continuous load at their given rating all of sudden your #10 wire and 30 amp receptacle can now be used for a 30 amp continuous load.
That is correct. However, such service panels don't exist for the residential market, so as a practical matter you are stuck with the 80% derating.

The 30 amp breaker itself is actually already tested to hold for a 30 amp continuous load. The issue is that the enclosure has to be designed to shed heat from the breaker (and any other breakers) so that with a continuous 30 amp load the breaker won't trip prematurely. And the combination of the breaker and enclosure has to be tested and listed for that 100% continuous load.

Cheers, Wayne

I now have 200A service with an Eaton BR panel but I used to have a 100A FPE panel. When the sun heated it up sometimes the breaker would trip at far less than 100A. Temperature does make a difference.

garygid said:
Yes, over 3 hours it's 80%. There is a lone in the NEC I can't locate right now that says if the circuit is dedicated, not on a branch the full rating may be used. Even though 30amp and larger outlets are very commonly dedicated I prefer to just use the 80% rule.

I re-read my post, I see now I didn't mention the total budget is 24amp. I'll edit it. :D

Back