2012 LEAF SV for sale, western Colorado [Sold]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgpcolorado

2012 LEAF SV for sale.

Asking $8500 obo. Located on far Western Slope but would consider transport to the Front Range.
If interested please send me a PM or email me at dgpcolorado {at} yahoo {dot} com

14196350970_433c33e597_z.jpg

Details:

• 33k miles.
• Battery is down one capacity bar and is currently at 55.55 Amp•hours (that's down about 16% from new).
• No accidents, no repairs, just routine service and a couple of Technical Service Bulletin fixes.
• Original owner, no children, pets, or smoking in car, so interior condition is excellent.
• The LEAF SV does not have a DCFC "Chademo" port, so no "Quick Charge" capability.
• Ecopia 422+ tires have 10,500 miles on them (I can measure tread if you wish).
• Like all 2012 models, this car has cruise control and the "cold weather package", which includes steering wheel and seat heaters.
• No rear camera (that was limited to the SL model).

Modifications and extras:

Leaf Dash Display, for precise information on the battery capacity, State of Charge, temperature, and cell-pair voltages. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12561 This allows use of the lower part of the charge range with confidence and helps a great deal when stretching the range of the car.
Included Nissan/Panasonic EVSE has been upgraded to 240 V, 16 A, by EVSEupgrade.com, for charging at 3.8 kW (3.3 kW to the battery); that's as fast as any 2011/2012 model will charge. Requires L6-20 receptacle or appropriate adapter. 120 V adapter included for Level 1 slow charging.
Climate Control unit upgraded to allow the heater to be turned off: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6751
This saves power when all you want is to circulate air without using the power hungry heater.
LEAF brand rubber floor mats for snow and mud.
Cable chains for tires included.
Nissan brand jack (but the LEAF doesn't come with a spare tire, so a plug kit and pliers might be helpful). The car comes with an air pump and sealant can.

24476112419_051edee6db_n.jpg

24750284211_c50760cc99_n.jpg

24215569314_f41f4ae7e7_n.jpg

24476115149_39b86a2a19_n.jpg

24548238720_61b7015122_m.jpg

Again: no Quick Charge Port on the SV.

abasile said:
That's one clean car! :)
The top picture was taken several years ago but with all the snow we have here, getting the car clean and keeping it that way is impossible right now. So, no fresh exterior pictures for now. Still, it is in pretty good shape for four years and 33k miles.

Becky50 said:
Which vehicle are you looking at to replace your LEAF?
I have purchased a CPO (used) 2014 Tesla Model S60. It is currently being transported to Denver for prep.

The plan is to go with just one car, a pure EV, and still be able to make thousand mile trips to visit family in Oregon, and the like. I'm also easy Tesla range from Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks).

dgpcolorado said:
Becky50 said:
Which vehicle are you looking at to replace your LEAF?
I have purchased a CPO (used) 2014 Tesla Model S60. It is currently being transported to Denver for prep.

The plan is to go with just one car, a pure EV, and still be able to make thousand mile trips to visit family in Oregon, and the like. I'm also easy Tesla range from Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks).

*Like*

drees said:
Woohoo! Nice upgrade from the LEAF!
DaveinOlyWA said:
I've been patiently waiting for the Model 3 to come out in a few years, since it would be a better fit for me. But I've had some reasons to consider making the move to a CPO Model S now rather than wait patiently for the 3, as is my custom. Once I decided to make the move I even considered a leasing a 70D, since it would have newer build quality and be AWD (a huge help in getting up my driveway in winter, see pictures below). But the problem is that I would spend $30k, no small sum to someone who lives on pennies, and at the end of three years would have no car. Pass.

Then I had to decide on what sort of CPO Model S to get. Older ones with higher miles are cheaper, of course, so older or newer? Make do with a 60 and marginal range or go with an 85 at higher cost? I finally decided on paying extra for a 2014, with a VIN of 38,000+, so that I could get the newer seats, which are reported to be better, and, perhaps, have the newer door handles, since the old ones have a high failure rate. I also was determined to avoid the pano roof and air suspension, as being more useless gadgets to break. And I wanted the 19 inch wheels, as opposed to the fragile 21 inch wheels, given where I live.

The two cars I was considering were an S60 with just 6000 miles and an S85 with 20,000 miles but for $8500 more. Open question: if I put 30k miles on the cars in two years, which of them would likely have the higher trade-in value if I wanted to go with the Model 3? I really don't know. I am very aware that an 85 would make long distance trips much easier and a bit quicker, due to faster Supercharging. But, as I said in another thread, the longest trip leg I figure to make is 148 miles from Tremonton UT to Twin Falls ID. Even a five year old S 60 could make that in mild weather, and I don't drive it in winter. So, with some reluctance, and because I'd seen pictures of the actual S60 and it looks practically new, I decided to save the $8500 and go with the 60. (By the way, a used EV from out of state — mine was registered in Virginia — is eligible for the $6000 Colorado tax credit. So far as I am aware it is the only tax credit in the USA that applies to used cars. The first car I tried to buy a month ago was registered in Denver, so I had to pass on it.)

Then the question became financing. Tesla told me that CPO lending rates were generally about 3.5%, or less with good credit. But the credit application asks for income and mine is tiny because I'm retired and get by on very little, being thrifty — frivolous purchases of EVs aside! [I retired at age 45 many years ago and live entirely on savings and investments, while doing volunteer work to keep busy and engaged.] To my surprise two of Tesla's banks made me an offer, one for 60 months at 2.74% and another for 72 months at 3.09%. I figure that it must have something to do with my 800 FICO score, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, that's pretty cheap money and will allow me to avoid selling investments into a down market or depleting my cash reserves.

So, that was the last hurdle, save for selling my 20 year old ICEV — already done — and the LEAF. The trade-in offer for the LEAF was pretty low, but I expect I'll have to take it unless someone responds to my Craigslist ads. As we all know here, the LEAF has the lowest resale value of just about any car on the market, thanks to the rapid advances of EV technology and the obsolescence of older models. Oh well, I've had great fun driving it and knew when I bought it that it wasn't remotely cost-effective. LEAFs are a really good used car purchase though. We didn't have that option back in 2011.

I was going to install the 14-50 receptacle myself, as I did with the current L6-20 I use with the LEAF, but I got cold feet and an electrician neighbor is due to install it on February 17th.

In a couple of years I will decide whether or not to go with the Model 3. If I am happy with with the S60 I might just keep it. For the record, I've never even sat in a Model S, much less driven one. And I am concerned about maintenance issues since I am 330 miles from the Denver Service Center and 383 miles from the Salt Lake City Service Center. So buying this car is something of a gamble. (And people wonder why I wish the car had a jack and a spare tire: "just call for a tow!" Right...)

Just to give you an idea of why an AWD Tesla would have been nice, below are some pictures of my 400 foot long driveway after I finished shoveling it — yet again! — following a storm that dropped 21 inches of snow last week. It isn't unusual to have bare patches of ground here in February but not this winter. Yes, El Niño is real this year!

24251159513_2773564459.jpg

Looking up the driveway from my house.

24851740326_3165c0fb7c.jpg

Looking down the driveway from the road. No, you can't see my house from the road. It isn't suburbia around here...

Back