2012 Nissan Leaf SL, 23.5K Miles, LOADED, WI, SOLD 9/16/16

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The battery has all 12 bars left. It is in great health, with no signs of degradation.

If you mean that the SOH is at or near 100% according to LeafSpy, please post the stats. If you mean that all 12 capacity bars are showing and the range seems to be the same as when new, well that would also apply to my 2013 SV with, at last check, 11% capacity loss.

LeftieBiker said:
The battery has all 12 bars left. It is in great health, with no signs of degradation.

If you mean that the SOH is at or near 100% according to LeafSpy, please post the stats. If you mean that all 12 capacity bars are showing and the range seems to be the same as when new, well that would also apply to my 2013 SV with, at last check, 11% capacity loss.

I will have to clarify my statement. I have changed it in the sales description. Thank you for noting this.

Thanks for doing that. It should be noted, though, that dealership battery checks, except in cases where the pack is going to be replaced, consist of printing out a single sheet with a few broad parameters that aren't much use. The capacity part is just a reiteration of the bar gauge on the dash. Until you get a LeafSpy reading of the pack, anyone looking at the car - which is priced reasonably, I should add - would do best to assume that it is closer to 11 bars than to 12. Someone looking for a fast, luxurious EV for a modest commute may snap it up even with that caveat.

I purchased a similar condition vehicle (except your above standard SL stuff) - that had fairly severe battery degradation for ~$9500 about 8 months ago. I'm taking a risk with the replacement warrantee however (one year to go) - otherwise probably not such a good deal.

Having said that, IMO, this is a bargain to the "commuter" and/or suburban/in-town driver that has access to another vehicle for longer/vacation trips. However, what I'm finding is the gasoline savings will pay off the added insurance costs!! Since I am determined to find a way to use the vehicle as my main energy storage of emergency off-grid - with solar - I feel I've "won" no matter as any well managed (BMS) lithium technology battery of the 15-18 KWH range would have cost nearly as much - plus I have a great driving vehicle.

Marktm said:
....However, what I'm finding is the gasoline savings will pay off the added insurance costs!! ....
Did you mean "gasoline savings will" not "pay off the added insurance costs!!"?
I believe that might be the case as you had the !!'s at the end and also I've found the Leaf insurance to be very high and if I figured it out I'd probably not really be saving any dollars by driving the Leaf, but it's still a nice car to drive and I like not polluting the environment when sitting in stopped traffic.

paulcone said:
jjeff said:
I've found the Leaf insurance to be very high

I thought it was just me. Anyone else?

My Leaf insurance cost is not any higher than my other cars. in fact it is the lowest.

We pay State Farm $185.51 / mo for 3 cars and $1,000,000.00 Umbrella Personal Liability policies.

Here are the details of my vehicles and coverage cost breakdown for each.
NOTE: I only have Uninsured Motorist on the Lexus, which is "Stackable" and covers me on all vehicles.

We are with State Farm in Florida.
Miles driven on each is less than 7,500/yr on each car.
2 Drivers are over 65 years old
Policy rate based on over 10 years old discount on each policy.

2015 Leaf $229.14 / 6 mos
$250k/$500k Bodily Injury & Property Damage $119.59 / 6 mos
No Fault $36.76 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Comprehensive Coverage $18.68 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Collision Coverage $54.13 / 6 mos
(Discounts Applied = Multiple Line, Homeownership, Accident Free, Multicar, Vehicle Safety, Antilock Brakes, Antitheft, Annual Mileage
Total: $298.17 / 6 mos)

2016 Ford F150 $257.52 / 6 mos
$250k/$500kBodily Injury & Property Damage $140.07 / 6 mos
No Fault $37.03 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Comprehensive Coverage $20.05 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Collision Coverage $60.37 / 6 mos
(Discounts Applied = Multiple Line, Homeownership, Accident Free, Multicar, Vehicle Safety, Antilock Brakes, Antitheft, Annual Mileage
Total: $359.05 / 6 mos)

2015 Lexus RX450h $474.90 / 6 mos
$250k/$500k Bodily Injury & Property Damage $136.11 / 6 mos
No Fault $33.13 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Comprehensive Coverage $25.14 / 6 mos
$1000 ded Collision Coverage $79.62 / 6 mos
Uninsured/Underinsured $250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident, $200.94 / 6 mos
Total: $382.68 / 6 mos)

PERSONAL UMBRELLA $303.00 / yr or $25.25/ mo
Personal Liability Limit = $1,000,000.00

^^^ thanks for the info, for comparison I pay for (2) 50+ old drivers, no accidents/claims/tickets in the last 5+ years, <7500 miles/year, middle class suburb, garaged or off-street parking cars, Western National:
1. '07 Toyota Prius 100k/300k $500 ded coll/comp, stacked, $406/yr(of this comp is $51 and coll is $109)
2. '05 Scion Xb $100k/300k $500 ded coll/comp, stacked, $1291/yr(note this used to be $350/yr before 18yr old female honor student was added to policy)(of this comp is $171 and coll is $363)
3. '13 Nissan Leaf S $100k/300k, $500 coll/comp, stacked $480/yr(of this comp is $59 coll is $175)
4. '12 Nissan Leaf SL $100k/300k, $500 coll/comp, stacked, $1525/yr(17yr old female honor student)(of this comp $234 coll is $534)
1 yr total=$3707 including homeowners discount.
Damn, we should all go to bicycles!!

Clean car. Unfortunately you can get a 2013 sv for the price you are asking. Lots of downward pressure for pricing on the 2012s in the northern states due to the resource hog heater and no chance of battery lottery. I have sold a lot of 2012 leafs and majority of my buyers in Chicago ask for 2013.

Depends on what a potential buyer sees as important. I would attach about $1.5K value to the light-colored leather upholstery and choose it any day over a 2013 SV with dark cloth interior of similar miles.

But that's also because I would not like a foot-operated brake and battery differences are not that critical to me.
Prefer having the side marker lights on the 2011 - 12 too from a safety point of view.
OTOH, I do concede that some 2013 changes are good, such as slightly more trunk floor space.

I see the point though that most buyers focus on range - maybe more than they need to, but that's up for debate.

unagidon said:
Since this was manufactured so late in the year, it was able to have the Cream Leather Interior Installed as a factory option. I have never seen one like it from this model year.
macnut said:
Depends on what a potential buyer sees as important. I would attach about $1.5K value to the light-colored leather upholstery and choose it any day over a 2013 SV with dark cloth interior of similar miles.
The OP's first statement seems unlikely. Nissan for the US market has never offered a light leather interior for any model year of Leaf so far nor did it ever offer leather prior to model year 2013.

(Black only) Leather began w/the '13 model year and was only on the SL trim. '13 model year also coincided the shift of production of US market Leafs from Japan to Smyrna, TN.

I suspect the OP's leather was aftermarket, dealer installed, installed by someone the dealer contracted with or port-installed.

mitrals said:
no chance of battery lottery

What lottery are you referring to? Bought my 2012 used specifically for low miles with bars down. Nissan dealer themselves printed out my warranty info for my vin (at battery check) showing my capacity warranty is good until 2018 (since based on date in service) or another 45k miles. I'm at three bars and will be able to drive this thing another couple bars down before I get a new battery in 2018.

Brian: I am talking about capacity replacement. Most leafs in the northern states will not lose 4 bars in 5 years our 60 k miles unless the battery is abused.

Back