FS: Launching my new Level 2 Chargers. Two versions. 40 amp - $429.99 --16 amp - $259

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmarcucci7

Hi everybody,

This is Lewey Marcucci with Ecolam Automotive. Most of you know me from selling Volts. Anyway, I decided to start selling chargers as well. I have two versions, a 16a and 40a version. Both come with the 14-50 plug and both are waterproof. They work great outside or inside. Fully portable, but you can also hang them on the wall if you choose. Both models will also work in L1(110V) mode with an adapter. We also had them CE and TUV certified.

Feel free to ask me any questions. You can check out more details on the amazon pages

40a
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G1KLXB

16a
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073W14QZ8
Thanks!

We decided against making our chargers adjustable because most cars allow you to adjust it onboard. I know the leaf definitely can switch between charge settings.

Is that a feature that you think is important?

Probably not. I knew i could adjust the Smart ED but didnt know i could adjust the leaf. Guess I need to spend some time with the manual hey.

We live in Canada but will be in Palm Springs for the winter in November. We will be in contact then. We need a LOW COST 220 volt emergency road EVSE and yours is definetly a consideration.

Thank you.

John.

The Leaf is NOT adjustable. Unless the battery is almost full it will charge at the maximum of the Leafs built in charger, 12a 120v 16a 240v for the old Leafs or 3.6kw models or 27.5a @ 120/240v for the 6.6kw Leafs. For that reason I'd definitely not suggest a portable EVSE over 16a you couldn't dial down. For sure for use on 120v and the 40a model with a 6.6kw Leaf. Not many 27.5a 120v plugs/circuits you'd ever run across. I guess it might be OK with the 16a model as 20a 120v circuits are readily available in just about any home and in commercial buildings and using the 16a model in a 3.6kw Leaf would only charge at 12a @ 120v anyway, which any 120v circuit should be able to handle(without any other large loads).
Not sure how this EVSE compares with the OPs, but for $10 more I'd sure take the 25' cord vs this EVSEs minimal 16'.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Maxx-40-40-amp-220V-240V/dp/B071GM7GQZ/ref=sr_1_15?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1499912832&sr=1-15&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
The 16a version looks interesting, again a rather short cord but does have a nice display which similarly priced models on Amazon lack.

Apologies. It's been a long time since I had a leaf. I seemed to have remember a charge rate setting, but that must have been for the L1 rate. Not the L2 rate.

Anyway, I don't think any onboard charger will let you charge @ 120V @ more than 12A. I really could be wrong on that, but I highly doubt the onboard charger would let you pull anymore than 12A @ 120V. I suppose I should test that out. HA!

ecolamauto said:
Apologies. It's been a long time since I had a leaf. I seemed to have remember a charge rate setting, but that must have been for the L1 rate. Not the L2 rate.

Anyway, I don't think any onboard charger will let you charge @ 120V @ more than 12A. I really could be wrong on that, but I highly doubt the onboard charger would let you pull anymore than 12A @ 120V. I suppose I should test that out. HA!

You are wrong on all accounts, depending on the model year. None of the LEAFs allow you to set the charge rate on 120 volt or 240 volt.

The original 2011/2012 LEAFs charge at a maximum of 12 amps on 120 volt but later models will charge at a higher amperage on 120 volts.

lmarcucci7 said:
We decided against making our chargers adjustable because most cars allow you to adjust it onboard.
Who is most? Name some models beside Teslas and BMW i3 where this is adjustable at 208 or 240 volts?
lmarcucci7 said:
I know the leaf definitely can switch between charge settings.
Nope.

Your 40a EVSE would work fine on a 40a circuit(providing your vehicle won't draw more than 32a) but if your vehicle is capable of over 24a charging(and no way to dial it down, such as a Leaf) I'd be leary about using it on anything less than a 40a circuit. Now if you had a old(pre '13) or S model Leaf without the charger package(3.6kw max charging) you could get by with a 20a 240v circuit, but in that case I personally would just get the 16a model, which would work with any Leaf on a 16a circuit or in the case of pre '13 or non charge package S models, on a 12a 120v circuit as well. I would not use the 40a model on a 120v circuit with a 6.6kwh Leaf charger, well unless you had a 40a 120v circuit or a very robust TT-30 outlet/circuit and only then for short term(maybe 1hr or so) charging. Any longer than that and things will really start heating up.
Note both EVSEs have the 14-50 plug which should technically be on a 50 or maybe 40a?? 240/208v circuit, but if using outlet adapters you really need to know the max charge rate of your vehicle and outlet your plugging into, especially when using the 40a model.
Good luck on your venture but to CYA I'm not sure how much I'd mention outlet adapters or 120v charging. I guess you could list it worked on 120v-240v, but not really get into the specifics of how to make it happen.

A 40 amp charger cannot go on a 40 amp breaker... A constant 40 amp draw would blow the breaker.. ANyway, With the Leaf, you cannot charge more than 30 amps anyway... If you ever had a EV that could charge at 40A, then you would need a 50 amp breaker and correct gauge of wire....

This is really a commercial ad and as such it should not be in the private ads. All of my EVSE ads were removed by the forum owner Mike.

These are rebranded Chinese units from the many makers that sell them under various names. Few make them but they all "make them".

EVDRIVER said:
These are rebranded Chinese units from the many makers that sell them under various names. Few make them but they all "make them".

Chris Howell has tested many Chinese EVSE's and they have all lacked the GFCI coil and test. It is hard to make a glitch free circuit since the levels are so low so they just leave it out.

As I understand it the J1772 specs are optional and leaving out the GFCI test makes a cheaper working unit. OpenEVSE initially did not have the test but for the last few years it has been present and Nick Sayer figured out how to test the circuit so you are confident it is working. The nice thing about the OpenEVSE code is that it is public domain and many have added their tweeks to it. Lincomatic wrote the body, Goldserve added the timer, Killpatrick added temperature shutdown and Nick Sayer added the GFCI test. If you have a good idea Sam (Lincomatic) will add it if there is room (the code space is very full).

I looked the item up on Amazon and cannot see specifics on warranty. Please outline your warranty. Are you making these or importing a finished product?

I noticed the product does not allow to select voltage. My question is, how smart is it at selecting the best/fastest charge rate?

For example, will it run at 110V 16A if plugged into 20A circuit? WIll it drop down to 12A if connected to 15A circuit? Can it detect circuit amperage? Or is all 110v charging stuck at one voltage like the OEM EVSE?

eyedrop said:
I noticed the product does not allow to select voltage. My question is, how smart is it at selecting the best/fastest charge rate?

For example, will it run at 110V 16A if plugged into 20A circuit? WIll it drop down to 12A if connected to 15A circuit? Can it detect circuit amperage? Or is all 110v charging stuck at one voltage like the OEM EVSE?
Looks like both are 12a@120v and maximum amps at 240v, that is maximum of your vehicle or EVSE, it has no idea the amperage of your circuit so in the case of the 40a EVSE if your vehicle can draw 40a you better be plugging it into a 50a circuit.
Note, I believe OP has flown the coupe but it looks like the price of the 40a model has dropped $80 and is currently $350, which for a 40a EVSE is quite low and the 16a has dropped to $219($40 drop) which IMO is more in line with similar 16a EVSEs. Note every other dual voltage16a EVSEs I've seen run the same current at 120v as 240v, that is 16a which if your vehicle can charge 16a @120v means you'd need a 20a 120v circuit, if you only have a 15a 120v circuit then these EVSEs may be the way to go. Personally, I prefer an adjustable EVSE where I can set my own amperage, both on 120v and 240v, but those tend to cost more than either of these EVSEs.

^^^ while not SPAM per say, that link really has nothing to do with EV charging.....I'd report it, but for some reason the report flag is missing on all the posts in this thread......
As noted this this whole thread is basically in an improper area, so I'd personally vote for locking it for good!

Back