Ebay 2013 SV 147 Miles...ends in 3 hours...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my '13 in May of 2017 with only 5100 miles. It had been owned by the Washington State government and had mostly sat around, probably at 100% charge for all of that time (my guess, based on settings, and how they treat the remaining vehicles). It looked (and smelled) showroom new.

When I got it, the battery SOH was approx 87%, similar to many 2013's with 20K - 50K miles, and worse than some. It would seem that time, temperature, state of charge, and combinations of all three are far more influential on battery degradation than miles driven.

I would definitely check the battery health (as with any used Leaf) before bidding. Don't let the low miles fool you.

I bought mine knowing the SOH going in -- I was (and I still am) happy with it, but it would be bad to be surprised.

Edit: LOL, I see I am too late. But perhaps someone will benefit.

I didn't want to start a new thread for just this generic question, so I'll try here...

I found locally, from a private seller a 2013 SL with 35k mi with the battery replaced about a year ago (I verified with Nissan EV line) for $10,000 and I'm wondering if it is a good deal or not.

The person is nor really an "owner" in the sense he bought it to ship it to another country (which is a topic that upsets me, but that's another story) and turned out he did't ship it so he's selling it.

He bough it about 6 months ago, and hardly used it, so it is currently sitting with the battery discharged, and I don't know how long it's been sitting without a charge.

So the 1 year old battery may not be such a good deal in my opinion if it's been sitting discharged.

However I'm thinking that any used car could have been sitting for extended time and I wouldn't have any way of knowing, especially low mileage cars.

My questions are ... is $10,000 a good value, and how concerned should I be about the car being completely dead?

TIA

That's a good question. If it had been sitting with more than 10% charge that would be fine, but completely discharged is another matter. $10k under that circumstance isn't a bargain. The car has to be revived and the battery checked.

I haven't gone to see it yet, but It's completely dead.
He told me we would get it towed to Nissan to get it charged and checked out.
In addition he said the car has the transferable Gold Warranty until 2020, and would the new battery have a 5 year capacity replacement warranty still? If so that would be good to 2022.

I'm on the fence ... should I bother?
I'm so tempted though, as the used Leaf market is pretty bad right now, such limited inventory.

Lease returns for 2016 LEAFs should hit the used market pretty soon. If I were shopping now, I'd probably wait for a 2016 SV with a 30kWh pack to become available.

2016 Are going to be $15k and up, plus dealer fees. Well, I'm going to take a look at the car, see what I find out in person... I'll report back, thanks!!

valem said:
the car has the transferable Gold Warranty until 2020, and would the new battery have a 5 year capacity replacement warranty still? If so that would be good to 2022.

The car has a typical bumper-to-bumper warranty against defects, etc.; then it also has a separate battery capacity warranty for 5 years. The Gold Warranty is to extend the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty to 8 years. That should cover the battery against defect for 8 years, but may not extend the separate _capacity_ warranty at all. Unless you read the terms of the Gold Warranty, you can only guess.

When a part is replaced under warranty, the original car warranty continues. So if you are 3 years into a 5 year warranty, and the manufacturer replaces the product under warranty, then the original car warranty continues for 2 more years. You don't get a brand-new 5-year warranty on the replaced part. The warranty is for 5 years on the whole car. Once the car warranty is over, no part of the car is under warranty, even if it was replaced 6 months before the end of the warranty.

@valem I mentioned the 2016 SV option as you'll get another 25% range, and a younger battery, for a few grand more. On a 5 year loan, that would be an extra $85 a month

While my 2013 SV has been a great car, an extra 25 miles of range sure would be nice. Food for thought...

Okay, so I looked at the car. I never told him that a dead battery was a red flag... he called Nissan because the car would not start, and what they found out was the key-fob battery was dead, but traction battery was low and they charged it ... no way to know, only what I'm told, but on the Leafspy charging power graph when charge started SOC was 20% ...

however about SOC... it was 70% on Leafspy but on the car display it was 90%... Is difference normally that much?

SOH was 94.43% so that was great to see ... after all traction battery is about a year old.

Here's the data from Leafspy

Ahr= 61.76
SOH= 94.43%
Hx=91.04%

With a 73.5% SOC I showed: 196 GIDs 69.8%
15.2 kWh reamining, 45.39 Ah, 385.0 V

Battery stats seem ok for a 1 year old battery ... car is nice, some scratches, it is 5 years old, but it's an SL with premium package.
He won't budge on $10k at all

Almost all of the 2016 I've seen are already missing a couple of battery bars, so I don't know how good is the extra 25% capacity if it already lost 20% or more of it.

Look at the build date, listed on the driver's side door sill sticker. Leafs built before April of 2013 didn't just have the old battery chemistry, they also had a slightly higher defect rate. A late build 2013 would seem to be appealing, here. Also look at the "In service" date, which Nissan can give you from the VIN (so can CarFax and other similar services). There is a small chance that the factory powertrain warranty is still in effect for a few more months.

Door sticker indicates it was made in 03/13 carfax in service date is May 14, 2013

However the 2013 battery chemistry does not matter as the traction battery was replaced in may 2017, just over a year ago.

Car comes with Gold battery transferable for $40 valid until mid 2020.

What defect are you referring to? Warranty wise for $40 I should be good for another 2 years, and the transaction battery has been replaced less than 18 months ago... I'm very tempted to become a new "used leaf" owner ... it's an okay deal, but choices out there right now are very limited; I've been looking for some time now...

I know that the battery chemistry doesn't matter in this case. There seem to have been more climate control and other issues with the early build 2013s, but I don't have hard data. IF you are referring to the "Gold Preferred" (IIRC) warranty from Nissan, then that should be all you need. If this is some other warranty with the word "Gold" in it, then read the terms carefully, and make sure it covers climate control, infotainment electronics, and drivetrain (the battery won't be covered except maybe for manufacturing defects.)

valem said:
but on the Leafspy charging power graph when charge started SOC was 20%... SOH was 94.43%

Stored at 20% sounds OK. It may have started at 30% or more. I read that 40% would be ideal, but 20% or 60% sounds OK. After some cycles of charge/discharge, LeafSpy and the dashboard SOC would likely get closer together. Short of borrowing the car for a week, I think you got good info.

Regarding heating failures, the 2012/2013 heater did experience more failures, and was expensive to replace. I don't have any numbers, but if I had to guess, it was more than 1 failure in 100 cars. You should test that the heater works. But you also mentioned that lots of 2016 Leafs in your area are already down a bar, so I'm guessing that you live in a hot climate. In that case, a 1 in 100 chance of the heater dying later-on may not be a problem.

It is the "Gold Preferred" warranty from Nissan, he showed me the paperwork and it states it is transferable from Nissan for $40 and it's valid for another 2 years,

I feel that for $10k it's not a bad deal ... with a 1 year old battery at 94% SOH and two year Nissan warranty.

Yes I am in a fairly hot climate, Orlando, FL with 6 months of mid/high 90s and 6 months of mid/low 80s ...

@valem you are likely to see missing bar(s) on 2016s with 30 kWh packs because the BMS software patch is very unlikely to have been updated. See the 30 kWh threads for more details.

Short version - the degradation isn't as bad as it appears and 30 kWh packs seem to be degrading in a similar fashion to 24 kWh packs. The software fix will restore the "missing bars" on almost all 2016s with 30 kWh packs, unless the cars are in really hot climates

Short version - the degradation isn't as bad as it appears and 30 kWh packs seem to be degrading in a similar fashion to 24 kWh packs. The software fix will restore the "missing bars" on almost all 2016s with 30 kWh packs, unless the cars are in really hot climates

I don't think that this can be stated as fact, yet. It remains, for now, the best case, hoped-for scenario.

Well, today I bought it, and I can finally say I am now a Leaf owner... and I ended up driving quite a bit and in the end it was getting a little stressful, I'll share my experience here.

So we meet at the bank and when we get in to go to the DMV the GOM shows 57 mi, @ 67% ... he drives to the DMV and the 2 miles take 5 off the GOM.

Once we leave the DMV I drive, and we go to get new tires, (we agreed he would pay for new tires as there was very little thread left)
Then we go to Fedex Kinkos to print copy all the paperwork to transfer the Warranty, then I drive him to his home.

At this point I drove around 20mi and I am down to 40 something % (close to 50%) battery with like 45mi on the GOM... I knew I couldn't make it home and Nissan quick charger was my only option ... I had a Nissan 12 miles away, but not on the way, and one that's kind of on my way but about 30 miles away ... so i am like, oh boy. (with my gas guzzling ICE truck when I have 50 miles left I stop to fill up, now I have less than that and I am starting my trip ... welcome to the Leaf @Valem lol)

So I go ... AC off and windows up (I'm in FL) driving in the slow lane with everyone passing me.
Then lucky I'm in slow stop and go traffic (another lol) so I save on kwh ;)

I ended up making it to the Nissan dealer with 20% SOC and a blinking 18mi GOM. Whew I MADE IT!
Not so fast @Valem ... I plug in the quick charger, hit start, and "ALARM" RED LIGHT. Try again and again, same thing.
Of boy, great!

They were nice, came out, power cycle the charge point thingy twice and it finally worked!
Great, i get some coffee, water, enjoy the AC (I was so sweaty from driving with AC off) use the restroom ... then I go out and 25min later it is at 95% ... WOW great, I unplug, get in, connect Leafspy, and holy cow, battery is at a RED 106F. Another wow.

At least I was in rush hour and I was driving around 20 to 30, but with 88F ambient that battery temp was not going down... crazy

Once I got home it was 103F still HOT ...

So that was my first day experience, a little stressful getting to the charger with <18mi left and the charger no working ... but it all worked out in the end.

Welcome the LEAF club @Valem!!

Back