valem
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 405151

Re: Ebay 2013 SV 147 Miles...ends in 3 hours...

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:19 am

Thank you all for the great advice!

You're right, I was mostly concerned with overheating the battery not so much with all the contingency plans.
I would never make it if I end up having to use L2 ... or at least it would take all day.

I'm going with the good old fashion ICE truck...

Tires, yes I already inflated the tires to 42, they were in the low 30s

I have read up about all the range that is left even it's really low, however I would rather avoid draining the battery that much... obviously in an emergency it's better than a flat bed.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:34 pm

I have read up about all the range that is left even it's really low, however I would rather avoid draining the battery that much... obviously in an emergency it's better than a flat bed.

As long as you recharge back above 20-25% ASAP, and don't actually run the car to a dead stop or "Turtle" mode when it slows to a crawl (one or two miles below Very Low Battery Warning should be safe) no significant harm will be done by running it low to make it home or to a charging station.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You need to use the SOC % display option rather than the GOM.

I have a Leaf S (no Energy Screen option), and I use the SOC% plus the trip odometer. Let's say Google Maps says I need to go 60 miles; my SOC% is 80 and I just reset my trip odometer to zero. If I consume 1% per mile, I'd arrive with 20% SOC left.

I start my trip. After a while (say, 10 miles), I add the SOC% plus the Trip Odometer in my head: if SOC% is now 65 and trip odometer is 10, then 65+10 = 75. I now only have a buffer of 15, and not the 20 I started with. I would want to slow down 10 mph, then check again in 10 miles. If I still have a buffer of 15 after 10 more miles, then I might just hold the speed there, if I want to arrive with 15% left. If the buffer has gone up, I'd speed-up. This helps me "dial-in" what speed I can drive at, considering all the other factors: wind, outside temperature, heater use, snow, the ski box (or kayaks!) on the roof etc.

Watching the difference in rate-of-change between the odometer and the SOC% gives me an early warning if energy is being consumed faster than I expected.
Last edited by specialgreen on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 pm

If you really need to depend on single DCFC units, it can be good to have a "L2 plan." When I go visit family, I drive 73 miles from a DCFC in my metro area to a smaller town. I leave the car at an L2 (there are three in that town), then bicycle the rest of the way. If the car charges for 2.5 or 3 hours, then it has enough juice to get me back to the DCFC for a five-minute boost, and then home. It may be handy to have a bicycle in case you get stuck L2'ing somewhere. If you have to wait for 6 hours, you can decide to go to a movie, a park, a library, restaurant, or motel. I have a folding bike, which is easy to throw in the back.

In your situation, it's probably simplest to take the truck :)

Return to “Private For Sale, Want To Buy”