Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: Bridgestone EP422 tires swapped for Michelin Primacy MXV

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Boomer, might want to consider an alignment check.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Ingineer wrote:Boomer, might want to consider an alignment check.

-Phil

Thanks, Phil, I should probably do that, though I paid Big O Tires to do just that when they put on the Michelins. At least they offer free alignment checks, but if they got it wrong the first time, re-doing it on the same equipment probably won't do much good, huh? I should at least take it back and tell them what I'm experiencing.
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jfsquires
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0847

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:40 am

[quote="lemketron"][quote="EVDRIVER"]Any verdict on the new Michelin Energy VS the Primacy? Also, is it worth the expense (if I don't NEED a second set of rims) to upgrade to 17" (Juke or other) wheels? Or can one get the MXM times in a 16" size that works for the Leaf? Costco shows a 91-H 16" MXM, but not the V-rated one sounds like it available in the 17" size... [/quote]

Has anyone considered going smaller - 15" instead of 16 or 17? Probably would be lighter, maybe less expensive. How would handling and braking be affected with smaller wheels?

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 am

Boomer23 wrote:Thanks, Phil, I should probably do that, though I paid Big O Tires to do just that when they put on the Michelins. At least they offer free alignment checks, but if they got it wrong the first time, re-doing it on the same equipment probably won't do much good, huh? I should at least take it back and tell them what I'm experiencing.

FWIW, when I put my Defenders on a couple of weeks ago, NTB told me that only Nissan had the calibration data for the Leaf, so it wouldn't do any good for them to check. Now, you can say they were "full of it", but I've bought other tires from this location AND had alignment checks done (for other cars), so I tend to believe them. Don't know why the Leaf is different, but you may want to have Nissan check the alignment (because it sure sounds like you have an issue).

BTW, I'm definitely getting better m/kWh (after a few hundred miles) on my Defenders than you are on the MXV's; still not as good as the Ecopia's but within 10% (and they handle much better).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Bassman

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 am

I've put about 500 to 600 miles on my Michelin Defenders and so far the efficiency is still down about 8 to 10%, but appears to be improving a little at a time. Steering is abit heavier than the Ecopias, but the handling is very good in the corners. BTW the Defenders are also a LLR tire. I noticed that the 2013 SL model now has 17-inch Michelin Energy tires while the s and SV still have Ecopias. The Energy is the newest LLR from Michelin. I'll bet the price on those 17 inchers is pretty steep.

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:12 am

Bassman wrote:I've put about 500 to 600 miles on my Michelin Defenders and so far the efficiency is still down about 8 to 10%, but appears to be improving a little at a time. Steering is abit heavier than the Ecopias, but the handling is very good in the corners. BTW the Defenders are also a LLR tire. I noticed that the 2013 SL model now has 17-inch Michelin Energy tires while the s and SV still have Ecopias. The Energy is the newest LLR from Michelin. I'll bet the price on those 17 inchers is pretty steep.

Based on what I paid for the Defenders, I bet you're right :!:
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Ingineer

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Bullshit on the "Only Nissan Has it".

From the Service manual:

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Ingineer

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Also, Every single chain Tire store alignment I've ever seen is always way off. Go to a racing shop.

-Phil

drees

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Ingineer wrote:Bullshit on the "Only Nissan Has it".

From the Service manual:
Thanks Phil - those appear to be the specs for the front wheels - do you have the specs for the rear wheels, too?
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Ingineer wrote:Bullshit on the "Only Nissan Has it".

From the Service manual:

-Phil

The readouts that I got from Big O Tire fit well with the recommended settings on this chart.

Anyhoo, I think that I figured out why our LEAF was riding like it was on beachballs on the freeway. It turns out that it WAS riding on beachballs. I had the tire pressures up to 42.5 lbs!! The pressure gauge on the gas station air pump that I used to (attempt to) increase the pressures to 40 lbs was way off. I checked the pressures today with a decent tire pressure gauge and they were all at 42.5. I lowered them to 38lbs and the freeway ride was much more secure and predictable.

Now, what will happen to my already sucky energy efficiency is fairly predictable. Hopefully it won't get much worse, but it certainly won't get any better. :(
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Private For Sale, Want To Buy”