MrNuclear
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2014

Re: Leaf Quick Release Hitch for bike racks or cargo

Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 pm

derkraut

I realise that towing with the LEAF is not recommended & it will probably void my warranty. I needed to know if a) it was possible to tow that much weight and b) if it had a massive effect on battery life
My business needs to be emission-free. I could tow the trailer with my Amarok, but that would defeat the purpose of having a 'green' business.

Electric4Me
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Thu May 15, 2014 11:59 pm

derkraut wrote:Doesn't the owner's manual say that the Leaf should not be used for towing??

Of course the manual says that. If it said it was OK to tow, then they'd have to truly design it to tow stuff in all kinds of weather and conditions. Instead, we can use our own judgment about what is reasonable, accepting the liability if something goes wrong.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm

OK.....I understand. I thought maybe not everyone was aware that towing would void the Nissan warranty.

kevinleaf
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2013

Fri May 30, 2014 11:06 am

Here is my bike rack on my LEAF:

It works really well! I'm a big fan of this tow hitch. I would not tow anything heavier than 300-400 lbs with this car, and it definitely will void your warranty.

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

kevinleaf wrote:It works really well! I'm a big fan of this tow hitch. I would not tow anything heavier than 300-400 lbs with this car, and it definitely will void your warranty.

It definitely will NOT "void your warranty" in the United States thanks to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. The manufacturer must show that the aftermarket part or condition caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage and then only has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. So if you tow your warranty is not immediately voided. Could towing cause damage to your car which would not be covered under the warranty? Certainly...

foolios
Delivery Date: 06 Mar 2014

Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:37 pm

[quote="QueenBee"]
It definitely will NOT "void your warranty" in the United States thanks to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. The manufacturer must show that the aftermarket part or condition caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage and then only has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. So if you tow your warranty is not immediately voided. Could towing cause damage to your car which would not be covered under the warranty? Certainly...[/quote]

Thanks for that info.

PM sent to Electric4Me

kclements
Delivery Date: 26 Nov 2013

Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Hello -

Just purchased my trailer hitch from Bill and it is outstanding! I can't say enough great things about it.

Now, I am a bit mechanically inclined, but not overly so. I thought I could give it a try and install the hitch myself. It was a lot easier than I thought and worked out very well. I did have a couple questions which I emailed to Bill and ran into a bit of an issue. He called and walked me through it. About 5 minutes and I was able to finish without a em, er hitch.

The whole install took about an hour and a half, and I did 95% of it without jack stands or lifting the car. I did eventually use a jack stand to do the drilling, as my drill and bit wouldn't fit without lifting the car a bit.

I'm pretty confident if I can install this hitch, anyone can. I had to do a bit of drilling, but again, if I can do it, anyone can. The design is terrific, well thought out and very clever.

If you need a hitch, I wouldn't hesitate to buy this one from Bill!

Cheers
kc

Electric4Me
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 772

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 am

Thanks for the comments Kayle!

For clarity for anyone reading this who hasn't yet seen the installation instructions, the hole to be drilled out is on the 2013-24 LEAF. There's an existing hole in the frame there, with two layers of metal. The outer layer has a 3/8" hole, and the inner one is smaller. The hole is drilled out to 3/8-7/16 through both layers for an adequately sized bolt to be used to support the hitch loads.
Bill Davis
2011 Cayenne Red SL
2014 Toyota RAV4 EV
6.4 kW PV system
Fun in the Leaf! (video)

camasleaf
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2011

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 am

I have seen a few pictures with a trailer on the hitch. My question is where do you hook the chains? My hitch dow not have any hooks. Also where did you tap into the wires for the lights? Thank you.

ceejones
Delivery Date: 22 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006638

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am

To answer: My question is where do you hook the chains? My hitch dow not have any hooks. Also where did you tap into the wires for the lights?

Bill welded safety chain loops onto the removable section. Any trailer shop could do the same if you already have the hitch.

I described my 4 pin plug wiring here on 9-5-2013. It still works with no problems nearly a year later. Everything is under the taillights.
SV: Glacier Pearl #6638, "ELECTRIC"on 4 sides
Del.8-22-2011; VSP normally off, LED Fogs as DTRL, FIAMM horns
AeroV EVSE self installed; EVSE Upgraded cord on-board
Infinity Speakers,VSP makes locomotive sounds,2"receiver hitch

Return to “Private For Sale, Want To Buy”