Leaf Quick Release Hitch for bike racks or cargo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric4Me

9-19-2017 edit:
Unfortunately I'm no longer producing this hitch and they're all sold out. If you need replacement parts or other assistance, send me a PM!

This started in the long "Bike Rack" thread, but I'm moving over here.

Electric4Me said:
Christopher said:
blorg said:
Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see.)
I've got pictures of the gathering plus a video of Bill demoing his bike hitch on my web site:
http://crimdom.net/photos/2011/bay-leafs-may14/pictures/bike-rack-demo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for posting those! In this case a video is worth a thousand pictures! :D
[2/18/13 edit: fixed video link above. Note: this video is of the prototype hitch. The release mechanism has evolved in the production hitch and doesn't interfere with the carpet.]

Drilling is not required to mount the hitch! See pics below, installation instructions, and installation video.
The design has been updated to be convenient to release from inside the trunk, more secure, and more compatible with the use of Nissan's trunk cargo organizer (it no longer needs to be removed to release the QR Hitch). The release cable is just inside the trunk and pulls vertically. It is also lockable for additional security if desired. The factory tie down hook functionality is maintained.

The hitch is only 12 lbs of permanently installed weight, and 10 lbs more when the Quick Release receiver is in. The small hole (or flap, if you choose) in the bottom plastic isn't visible unless you bend down to look under the car. The cargo capacity is 200 lbs, and it was designed for stiffness so that it wouldn't sag under load. Tow chain loops can be added upon request, though the QR hitch should be locked on for towing.

Shoot me a PM or an email [bill at billgigi dot com] for current pricing.

Here are some pictures (shown with optional tow chain loops):

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

P42090603.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

P63356900.jpg

P42089200.jpg

Also, my daughter has designed an optional storage/carry bag for the QR Hitch. Here are some pics:
P25112903.jpg

QR%2520Hitch%2520bag1.jpg

QR%2520Hitch%2520bag2.jpg

[Note: all storage bag proceeds will go to her as I'm paying for the materials to support her. ;) ]

Installation instructions are available [2011-12 pdf] or [2013+ pdf].

DESIGN UPDATE!!

This hitch no longer requires drilling through the frame to install!! Installation is now easy in ~1/2 hour.

I have 2 in stock at this time.

Bill

Another batch of QR Hitches is in work. I've also made a high speed video so that you can see the easy ~30 minute installation process in ~7 minutes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbZgezZS_U[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/wJbZgezZS_U

The pics in the first post have been updated to show the current "no frame drilling" design". The detailed installation instructions are now updated (the link is at the bottom of the first post).

PM or email me if you'd like to get on the list.

Nice new design Bill. Drilling straight was a bit of a challenge, but I'm totally happy with the end result. Love taking my bike places to ride in the Leaf.

Here are some images from the old thread about bike racks in general. I suppose this is a better place for the images since it is your design.

me said:
I can say this is my second most favorite mod/addition to my leaf, behind the seat heaters. Electric4Me has a fantastic product here. Pictured with my wife's very heavy cruiser on the bike rack.

Edit: make that my third favorite...EVSE Upgrade, Seat Heaters, Receiver hitch for my bike rack.

20110716-040829.jpg

20110716-040909.jpg

This is my first message on this forum. I use my X-Terra truck to move the bikes around all the time. Would love to add this to the Leaf. My wife has the Leaf and it looks like your in Union City, any chance of buying one from you and watching you do the installation while I re-charge off your 220?? I live in Half Moon Bay and could get the Leaf there but would love to have you install it but would need more juice to get home.

svanhoosen said:
That hitch looks great, and I'm interested, but I don't see a price on them, or how to order one. Also, will they fit a 2013?

- Scott
Scott, send me a PM for pricing and availability.

I did a fit check on a 2013 earlier today and I need to make a couple of minor changes to one end of the hitch to bolt up to the new car. And order a new batch of machined parts from the shop.

Bill

Saw this as a link from another thread. Looks like a very nice product. Big ups on the fact you gave it a 2" receiver, which I think is way better for something like a top-hanging bike rack, which can exert a huge amount of torque on the connection point. Believe it or not I couldn't find a 2" receiver hitch anywhere for a late model Altima I had recently. To have one on such a low volume unit as the Leaf is really nice.

badq45t said:
My wife has the Leaf and it looks like your in Union City, any chance of buying one from you and watching you do the installation while I re-charge off your 220?? I live in Half Moon Bay and could get the Leaf there but would love to have you install it but would need more juice to get home.
I charged (from Bill's solar panels) while my hitch was installed today. If you need more charge (the installation doesn't take very long) there's a QC in Hayward and several more QC locations on the peninsula.

Here's a picture (from my SF BayLeafs thread on fb) of my new hitch with a 2" receiver, a 1 1/4" reducer (from Hammer Freight), and a Thule 1 1/4" two-bike rack (which sits far enough away from the car that I can still open the hatch yet still close the garage door with the rack still on):
1002271_10151688414614413_667095034_n.jpg

Thanks, Bill!

My install has become an horrible scenario. Can you tell me how I can make the fish wire and bolt to come through the holder rivet? There doesn't seem to be space for both. Any tips would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbv22awo0l16zet/Photo%20Jul%2006%2C%206%2040%2004%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alric said:
My install has become an horrible scenario. Can you tell me how I can make the fish wire and bolt to come through the holder rivet? There doesn't seem to be space for both. Any tips would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbv22awo0l16zet/Photo%20Jul%2006%2C%206%2040%2004%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I realize now what I was doing wrong, although it should probably be spelled out in the manual. The tip of the bolt can not be threaded past the fishing wire coil or it won't go through the washer. Makes sense but it is not particularly obvious.

Back