JDapter - Tesla charging for your EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
OK, thanks!

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
One question: What method will you use to keep it from being stolen on cars that do not have locking J1772 capability?
Padlock on the release button, the same as we do with JESLA, JLong, J-Plug, J-Wall, et al.

It will have a lug to put a streamer on it, too, so YOU don't forget it somewhere.

Thanks Tony,

I intended to support the kickstarter campaign next week. A Handy adapter to add to my collection of EV adapters.

Your website has a paragraph on Tesla owner concerns. Have you received communication suggesting Tesla owners have such concerns?

Your advice to always ask first is solid, and I fully intend to take my EV by our local Tesla showroom and ask permission to charge, just to see their reaction. If they say no, then I will share my Model 3 reservation number to see if that changes anything. I don't see why any EV manufacturer would turn away another EV driver. My local Nissan dealer allows Tesla drivers to use their CHAdeMo unit and judging by Plugshare, Tesla owners use local area CHADeMo units frequently.

If Tesla or Tesla owners start getting righteous about the HPWC's and other Tesla EVSE's then the EV movement as whole will be harmed. The last thing we all need is charger wars.

Very interesting product Tony!

I'm on my second Leaf lease and I've managed just fine with the trickle charger that came with the car. The idea of buying a L2 EVSE like a JuiceBox or ClipperCreek is appealing but I'd also have to put a new circuit in and the total expense of that combined with my current lack of a need to charge that quickly has kept me from doing so. I do have family ~50 miles away and we use our other vehicle (ICE) to make those trips. My family has a Tesla and keeps their UMC connected to a 14-50 outlet in the garage. If I could charge my Leaf using the UMC, that would probably allow me to use the Leaf for visiting them. I think the JDapter will enable me to charge my Leaf at their home using their Tesla UMC.

Also, my Leaf lease will be up at the end of the year and I will likely lease another J1772 vehicle like the Leaf, Soul, or e-Golf. At some point in the future, I may decide that I want to invest in L2 charging at my home and get a 50amp circuit put in. I could then purchase the Tesla UMC for $550 and then use the JDapter to charge my next vehicle and be future proofed whether we continue with a J1772 vehicle or a Tesla.

I think I have a good use case for this. Is my understanding right?

+1 ... my daily work commute recently increased to 42 miles R/T here in the Midwest (as well as my '12 SL is down one battery capacity bar) so am a bit concerned once it gets colder that I might be cutting things too close even at 100% charging. I do have an another vehicle for the real cold/snowy/slushy days but would like to maximize how often I can take the LEAF. I already have permission to access a Tesla 'destination' charger as well that its within an easy walk to work; they were actually surprised that such an adapter might be available -- this location rarely if ever is 'full' so would never be taking a space that a Tesla owner might need -- this station has the standard ones (60A circuit / 48A draw) so certainly could give me a full charge by the time I left work for the day; as mine is a '12 and only has the 3.6kW on board will assume that the car (with this adapter) would regulate the rate of charge so as not to damage the battery, etc.? If so, would happily participate in the kickstarter campaign as well.

Assuming equal or greater current is available the car charger takes what it needs and it ignores the rest. At lesser currents (like 10A) the car matches the available current.

Yes, it will be really interesting to see the reaction to this. Recently I have seen plugshare comments in my area regarding TEsla drivers parking on charging cables and even parking in Chademo slots without charging. I could imagine there could be some backlash both ways neither is good for the community.

If Tesla has and uses Chademo adapters there should be no problem with others using HWPCs with an adapter, however, I doubt telsas will feel this way.

vwDavid said:
Recently I have seen plugshare comments in my area regarding Tesla drivers parking on charging cables and even parking in Chademo slots without charging. I could imagine there could be some backlash both ways neither is good for the community.

In the Lakeland Florida parking garage, I came up to the charger with dread upon seeing the Tesla parked in one of the two slots. However, that owner had been thoughtful enough that they were using a 110V outlet and their slow charger instead of the 240V, so I was able to get the charge that I needed to get home without LBW. I thought that was so considerate of them and greatly appreciated it.

Unlike the Volt owner sitting in a different location at a charger, plugged in with his engine running (?) and he tells my wife that he's not leaving until he's fully charged. So he probably left two minutes after she went in to Kohl's, who provides the charger for their customers, and she didn't come back out for about an hour so she missed out on the charge she needed, as opposed to the two minutes of extra charging the Volt owner wanted, if he or his wife ever went in to Kohl's.

No kickstarter and lack of communication from Tony Williams can only mean that Tesla has put their legal foot down and killed this project.

AntronX said:
No kickstarter and lack of communication from Tony Williams can only mean that Tesla has put their legal foot down and killed this project.

While its true that we haven't seen the kickstarter, etc. yet, not sure if its truly dead or not as two reviews have been posted (written like recommendations, not actual users it seems); as they can only be used with the 'destination' type Tesla stations (not the Superchargers) and the electricity cost is typically paid by the merchant and NOT Tesla I'm also not so sure it would garner much pushback from Tesla themselves but who knows ---

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapterQuickChargePowercom-Jdapter.htm

I would still love to get one if/when they become available

redLEAF said:
+1 ... my daily work commute recently increased to 42 miles R/T here in the Midwest (as well as my '12 SL is down one battery capacity bar) so am a bit concerned once it gets colder that I might be cutting things too close even at 100% charging. I do have an another vehicle for the real cold/snowy/slushy days but would like to maximize how often I can take the LEAF. I already have permission to access a Tesla 'destination' charger as well that its within an easy walk to work; they were actually surprised that such an adapter might be available -- this location rarely if ever is 'full' so would never be taking a space that a Tesla owner might need -- this station has the standard ones (60A circuit / 48A draw) so certainly could give me a full charge by the time I left work for the day; as mine is a '12 and only has the 3.6kW on board will assume that the car (with this adapter) would regulate the rate of charge so as not to damage the battery, etc.? If so, would happily participate in the kickstarter campaign as well.

I'm out --- the main location I would use this has only 3 destination chargers that pretty much are getting used ALL the time lately (holiday season -- much more traffic) so would not be a viable solution even if I carried the adapter in my LEAF. The Tesla-based chargers that would work with this adapter are what we would refer to as an L2 type (although Tesla doesn't use this term) so unlike our L3 or QC requires hours not minutes to provide a significant number of miles. For those locations that aren't used much, perhaps this could still be something worth while but not for me. I'm going to plan B that will be in another thread ---

Back