reeler

Re: JDapter - Tesla charging for your EV

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 am

I am driving a Chevy Bolt from Oregon to San Diego once it is shipped to the dealer from Detroit. I would like to have another option for charging if this is available Tony. Happy to pick up a prototype too.

davewill

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 am

JPWhite wrote:... If Tesla or Tesla owners start getting righteous about the HPWC's and other Tesla EVSE's then the EV movement as whole will be harmed. The last thing we all need is charger wars.

Oh, they get self-righteous all right. There are a couple of threads over on the Tesla forum where they go into full meltdown about how since Tesla supplied the equipment, no other cars should even consider trying to use them and that making an adapter is "illegal". They are completely unpersuaded by the notion that if the site owner says, "OK", then it would be OK.

TonyWilliams
Vendor

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:32 pm

davewill wrote:
JPWhite wrote:... If Tesla or Tesla owners start getting righteous about the HPWC's and other Tesla EVSE's then the EV movement as whole will be harmed. The last thing we all need is charger wars.

Oh, they get self-righteous all right. There are a couple of threads over on the Tesla forum where they go into full meltdown about how since Tesla supplied the equipment, no other cars should even consider trying to use them and that making an adapter is "illegal". They are completely unpersuaded by the notion that if the site owner says, "OK", then it would be OK.

Yep. Some are too dumb to see even a desire / need for a Tesla owner to use JDapter within their own house for a LEAF or other J1772 car.

Lots of crazy / hate on that site that goes without moderation (if it somehow "favors" Tesla).
Go-Cable tm, $299 for 20 amp J1772 charging
JESLAtm, the premium 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLongtm the J1772 extension cord
JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car
JDaptortm, Tesla charging for your EV

http://www.QuickChargePower.com

TonyWilliams
Vendor

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:33 pm

reeler wrote:I am driving a Chevy Bolt from Oregon to San Diego once it is shipped to the dealer from Detroit. I would like to have another option for charging if this is available Tony. Happy to pick up a prototype too.

Sure. Shoot me an email.

TonyWilliams (((@))) QuickChargePower.com
Go-Cable tm, $299 for 20 amp J1772 charging
JESLAtm, the premium 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution
JLongtm the J1772 extension cord
JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car
JDaptortm, Tesla charging for your EV

http://www.QuickChargePower.com

2k1Toaster
Delivery Date: 12 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 420903

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

So what's the intended purpose? If you have a Tesla L2 charger at home for your Tesla but just want to share that connector with the Leaf?

I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with. It would be nice if us non-Tesla owners could pay the $2K or $4K to get lifetime supercharging activated to some sort of adapter.

JPWhite
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:42 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:So what's the intended purpose? If you have a Tesla L2 charger at home for your Tesla but just want to share that connector with the Leaf?

I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with. It would be nice if us non-Tesla owners could pay the $2K or $4K to get lifetime supercharging activated to some sort of adapter.

The intended purpose is to allow non tesla vehicles to charge at Tesla destination chargers. There are more Tesla destination chargers than Supercharger bays and the number of destination chargers is set to grow more quickly than superchargers judging by Elon Musk's comments at the Model 3 reveal.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Destination chargers don't get the media billing superchargers do and tend to be on private property operated by a business such as a motel or B&B.

There is a Tesla destination charger in rural Tennessee. Go to Plugshare and search for "Westmoreland Family Clinic". There are pictures of the installation hung on the side of a building,pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:07 pm

2k1Toaster wrote:I can't say I have ever seen a Tesla charger anywhere in the wild that wasn't a SuperCharger, which this won't help with.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

My work also has 9 Tesla HPWCs, at last check.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 pm

I can't edit my last reply but https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... o-the-hype from April 1, 2016 says “Slower destination chargers will jump from 3,689 to 15,000.”

reeler

Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 pm

There are a couple stretches on that route where chargers are hard to come by. A Tesla destination charger would take 9 hours to do a L2 fill of the Bolt at 7KW, but it could help in a bind. I have the JESLA already with a bunch of adapters.

In my Tesla, the drive is not a problem. Cross-country in a Bolt will be a hassle for a while until the SAE L3 chargers are prevalent.

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:31 am

JPWhite wrote:
2k1Toaster wrote:So what's the intended purpose? If you have a Tesla L2 charger at home for your Tesla but just want to share that connector with the Leaf?

The intended purpose is to allow non tesla vehicles to charge at Tesla destination chargers. There are more Tesla destination chargers than Supercharger bays and the number of destination chargers is set to grow more quickly than superchargers judging by Elon Musk's comments at the Model 3 reveal.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Destination chargers don't get the media billing superchargers do and tend to be on private property operated by a business such as a motel or B&B.

There is a Tesla destination charger in rural Tennessee. Go to Plugshare and search for "Westmoreland Family Clinic". There are pictures of the installation hung on the side of a building,pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
The comment raises TWO thoughts;
#1 People who never bothered to LOOK for a thing (whether it be a Tesla destination charger, or a Ford dealership, or a pet shop selling reptiles etc) - then comment, "well, if you ask MEEE .... I never even saw one of those ANY where). ok whatever.
But the main consideration;
#2 Tony is VERY helpful with his goodies. But this one ? As a Tesla owner ... I have VERY bad feeling about this. Who hasn't been in desperate need of a charge due to construction in front a parking structure, plugshare (or chargepoint etc) not knowing a location is inaccessible due to "private" lot only ... "state employees" only, which apps don't necessarily indicate such situations, AND the absolutely worst thing;
(after trolling heavy traffic/one way streets running dangerously low - now Tesla owners can look forward to DOUCHEBAG phev's that don't even need a charge ~ but maybe they can still cram an extra 1 or 2 kWh's to top off for freeeeeee! Then they just camp on a charger ... blocking access so you can't even get access. Just lovely.
Elon Musk now forces Tesla jerk-off inconsiderate dead beats like this to IMMEDIATELY get out NOW from Superchargers, by imposing a 40¢/minute fee -once cars are "full" (only a 5minute grace period) - the fee is imposed on the inconsiderate who are squatting / inconveniencing folks that may actually be waiting in line to get some where. Otherwise the local model x or s owner who'd go to a restaurant (already having 200+ miles in the tank) who uses the supercharger to pick up an extra 20 to 80 miles will go to a 2 hour movie and block others for over 1 1/2 hoiurs, because (s)he doesn't give a rats that YOU and others may truly need to charge.
Yesterday was the Jan. 1st, and while passing thru Oxnard, lo & behold, drivers suddenly disconnected and left - BOOM. End of problem. Really kept things moving. But now? Sorry, this new adapter - the Jdapter spells a renewal of that kind of bad behavior. I'd pay $500 to never see it come into production.

Return to “Business Ads, Deals, Sales and Want To Buy”