How to view the contents? Blink software on the microSD card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

I am browsing the 2GB microSD card which came off the Blink EVSE. How do you view or glean into these OS files?

File listing on FAT "boot" partition:
init.scr 1KB Screen Saver
logo.bmp 377KB Image file (looks like that white EVProject logo upon Blink boot up)
mmcinitrd.u-boot 1,787KB U-BOOT File
u-boot-hydrogen-02242010-520.bin 213KB BIN File
uImage 2,231KB File

2GB microSD card partitioned as follows:
boot = 190MB FAT
1.46 GB = unknown (maybe this is a linux OS partition?)
188 MB = unknown
40 MB = Unallocated

I am sure if using binary file viewers would be useful to try and see if there is anything useful from these....

I can't add too much to this, but...

• u-boot-hydrogen-02242010-520.bin is most probably the boot loader, using uBoot.
  • uImage is the Linux kernel that is booted by uBoot.
  • mmcinitrd.u-boot is the initrd (initial RAMdisk) file that's used as the rest of the operating system when the system boots. This is probably the file that would be most interesting to investigate. You'd need to figure out what method of compression (bzip2, gzip, etc.) was used to compress this file and decompress it. You'd likely then get an image of a filesystem, most likely some type of Linux filesystem such as CramFS or maybe even ext2/ext3. Then you'd need to use the Linux loopback mounter to mount the image on an existing mount point. At that point, you'd be able to look at the files and programs that make up this OS.

Hope this helps...

Try this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It includes pics of the internals and some work on hacking a new firmware called Wink. Look starting on the second page for posts by whoami:
whoami said:
So while we're on this subject, all the SW for the linux micro is located on a micro SD card on the bottom side of the linux box. Its a standard FAT partition they boot the linux kernel off and two EXT2 partitions on the SD card. The second parition (EXT2) is the main root partition and the third partition is a backup for failed upgrades.

The UI is a web browser on port 8080, the backend software is written completely in Python. They do indeed run iptables to keep you out. But some simple mods and you can enable ssh.

The second board is the J1772 centric board that runs a PIC. The PIC controller code has been at 1.8 since I've gotten the Blink. They have not upgraded this firmware. The PIC code looks good and is very stable. The PIC signals over both serial/uart as well as 5 GPIOs. The GPIOs indeed differentiate the difference between charging and just plugged in. The most recent firmware fix of this was a complete joke. 5-10 minutes of software.

As Ingneer points out the whole EVSE is a complete joke. It looks like a garage shop build. The software is equally as garage shop.

We will just leave it at there will be firmware available soon that actually woks as well as display the correct info and puts the micro to sleep. Wow a novel concept!

While I am on the HW, the build is done so poorly with a significant amount of bypass caps and other current draining items. It really needs a complete redesign. For anyone who is considering purchasing a Blink. Just don't go there. For those of us who get the boat anchors for free, keep it for the 2 years then we'll take care of it.
Note that all this discussion occurred before the upgrade to ver 2 and some of it might be out of date.

Back