Blink acknowledges that I have left the EV Project

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairwoodRed

After ignoring Blink's attempts to hold financial liability over my head for another year, They have spontaneously acknowledged that I have left the EV Project. Below is the email they sent me:

We're sorry to see you go!

We understand that you have not chosen to continue to be a part of The EV Project.

As a result you:
No longer have a warranty on your Blink home unit
Won't be able to view your at-home EV charger use information in your Blink Network online portal
Are no longer sharing information about your EV charging and driving to help influence the creation of an electric vehicle infrastructure in North America
We appreciate your participation and are truly sorry to see you go. If in the next 30 days - you would like to change your mind all you have to do is call 1.888.998.BLINK (2546) or email mailto:[email protected]?subject=EV%20Project%20Participation&body=Hello%2C%0A%0AI'd%20still%20like%20to%20participate%20in%20The%20EV%20Project!%20.

By being part of The EV Project to date, you have helped to provide valuable data on over 58 million gas-free miles, been part of a group that has saved over 2 million gallons of gas, and avoided emitting over 4,000 metric tons of CO2.

Thank you for being part of The EV Project.

Charge On.

The EV Project Team

P.S. Don't forget to become a Blink member if you are not already and you'll save 50% every time you charge away from home!

Now that ownership is officially mine, I emailed them back and asked if they still wanted to collect my data. They declined. They said that they could only collect data from someone fully enrolled in the EV project. I understand that others have gotten ownership changed and stayed in the EV project, so I was surprised at this answer.

Anyway, If you end up leaving the EV Project, this is what the email looks like.

I got the same email. They really soured me when they tried to add the "unilateral contract changes" to the use of website etc. I have spoken with the customer service people and they say my status is "pending". Guess they are waiting to see if I'll change my mind in the next few weeks.

I got the same email.

Sort of sour folks to take away the ability to view charging status on the internet. The Blink unit is a piece of garbage - have had their folks out 6 times in past two years for repairs. They know they have a really good selling point when they say repairs will no longer be covered. With a company like Ecotality and product like Blink, it's best to cut the relation as soon as possible.

They also lost me when they tried to sneak in the RPA agreement last year. My Blink still needs to hooked up the net to work - no big deal.

it works well for me and no calls in over a year on the unit.
i dont find the internet data useful but i do use the intranet ability to start and stop the unit.
I asked for and blink agreed that i could own the unit as of 2013 and they would share my data.

thankyouOB said:
I asked for and blink agreed that i could own the unit as of 2013 and they would share my data.
I did the same thing but I still got the email saying they were sorry to see me go. I replied to that email and told them I reupped under a revised agreement. I then got a phone call from a local Ecotality person the next day who said she didn't know anything about my revised agreement and asked me who I sent it to. I couldn't remember and it really didn't matter anyway since I no longer have my Leaf. Once she heard that, she was much less interested.

I got that email too. I disconnected from my network, clipped the seal and pulled an image of the SD card and wrote a copy to another card and am running that now. Pull an image of your sd card and I think we'll be in good shape with these units. The only real reliability issue I'm aware of is the pink screen of death issue caused by the butt joints which connect the GFI loop to the main board need a better connection.

There was a project at some point to write a different firmware for the Blink - what happenned to that ?

I got the same notice and am frankly relieved to be a free agent now. I think it's pathetic that the product is so dodgy that they use the extended warranty as a come on to get you to re-up for another year and the way they tried to take back ownership of the EVSE that us, the taxpayer paid for, was super sleazeball!!

Oh, and btw, what is the max kWh rating for the unit without burning up the connectors? I may use it with the S for a bit to get some kW readings for all you number crunchers :~)

GaslessInSeattle said:
Oh, and btw, what is the max kWh rating for the unit without burning up the connectors? I may use it with the S for a bit to get some kW readings for all you number crunchers :~)
Be careful if you aren't sure if you have a faulty crimp in the J1772 handle. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

FYI, you can easily take the cover off without clipping the seal... It slips right over it.

RickS said:
I got that email too. I disconnected from my network, clipped the seal and pulled an image of the SD card and wrote a copy to another card and am running that now.

Yes, take a copy of your SD card. I had mine scramble twice during warranty which caused them to have to send someone out just to replace the SD card. If I had a disk image of it both times I could have just re-wrote it and saved the middle of the day trip home. Also, if they shut down features via a software push you can always go back.

I am running a copied SD card in mine now and it's working well. I did have some funny behavior with the charge timers initially, but after re-setting them all is well. It is linux so you will have to use a disk image program which will handle that.

I got the email too.

The only thing I'd really be interested in is turning it into a "dumb" EVSE..assuming it ever broke. I don't use the times or the internet data at all on it.

Back