Fall out -- Some Blinks being current-limited

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFer

Fall out from this thread: Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics)

I just found this: http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/does-latest-software-update-limit-model-s-17a-blink-chargers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which in part says:

We reset the commercial units in the Phoenix area to 16 amps down from 30 amps. We have had several complaints of cord sets heating up and vehicles stopping a charge session after 30 to 50 minutes. Most of these involved the new Honda FIT, 1 RAV4 and 1 Ford Focus. We are looking into the problem but until we understand what is causing this issue the decision was made to turn down the amperage from 30 to 16 amps on commercial units. If he plugged in to a unit then it is normal that he only pulled 17 amps. Until we understand why some vehicles on some units are generating so much heat in the power pins we want to insure there is no way the vehicle connector can be damaged or in your case the adapter cable connector. While we have a couple of thousand charge session with the Tesla with no heat issues the problem is we do not know what vehicle is plugged in at the time so we have to limit current for everyone.

Best Regards,

Shawn Marie Hess

Blink Network Contact Center

Classic! Denial then derating. I hope they are reducing charge costs as well. I can't wait to see how they screw with the Charge Point equipment rates and the like. :roll:

It's a reasonable temporary response if they aren't going to get them fixed pronto. As a permanent solution it sucks big time. This whole pretending they don't know what the problem is is just stupid, however.

ours is off contract and no longer connected to the grid thankfully, we'd be screwed if they cut us in half, charging two cars, at least until the HPWC arrives. there is no noticeable heat with our Blink even after charging the Tesla for 15+ hours so it seems like we have a good fit.

Ingineer said:
Great solution, Ecotality!

I wonder if they are planning on downgrading the residential units also?

-Phil

Not trying to defend Blink :roll: but a later entry (3/19/13) in the link I referenced in the OP reports:

Tom & Cathy | March 19, 2013

Here's an update from Blink:

As part of a routine test, select Blink charging stations were set below 30 Amp. That test is completed, and except for a few isolated chargers, are all back to 30 A.

That's rather a departure from "all of our stations have been adjusted down to 17A."

I wonder what the "routine" :roll: "test" consisted of ?? And I wonder where and how many they consider "a few isolated chargers[sic]" [EVSEs] that remain "stuck" at less than 30A ?

In any case ... I found it odd not to have heard about any of this from any source other than Tesla drivers -- and belatedly too -- although admittedly pre-2013 LEAF owners would not notice the reduction in control pilot ...

How do they turn these down? Is this a software push or did they have to physically inspect/modify each unit?

Great news Ecotality! I'm sure you are planning on turning down your fee from $2/hr to 1/hr also! :roll:

You can find out what your Blink is set to very easily by going to the Device Info screen. The tech who came out and replaced my J1772 cord earlier this month told me that Blink had no plans to reduce them to below 30 amps and that the home units could only be changed locally, nor remotely, in any event... My new J1772 is much better made than the one it replaced by the way. The crimps now look solid and much more professional. A couple of infrared tests I have run since have shown consistent heating between the pins of only a few degrees...

Good to hear! Would you know the manufacturer of the new J1772 plug? Is it still REMA or someone else?

Back