"A self test fault occurred"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

Starting yesterday I've had a red screen pop up after plugging in saying "A self test fault occurred" and telling me to tap the screen to reset the system. It does some 1 minute softboot, and I get the normal screen, but the same thing happens when I plug in again.

Yesterday I unplugged the blink and plugged it back in..then after it's 10 minute boot sequence, I got the normal screen and tried again and it worked.

Today I plugged in and I got the error again.

Any ideas? How convenient that it breaks right after the warranty runs out.

Didn't someone document some mods to make this a "dumb" EVSE? I don't use any of the blinks features.

Simple fix. The tech will change the SD card, tighten some of the connections, take out the card reader (if there) after which the unit will work fine.
See: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9088&p=220068&hilit=+Blink#p220068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turbo2ltr said:
Starting yesterday I've had a red screen pop up after plugging in saying "A self test fault occurred" and telling me to tap the screen to reset the system. It does some 1 minute softboot, and I get the normal screen, but the same thing happens when I plug in again.

Yesterday I unplugged the blink and plugged it back in..then after it's 10 minute boot sequence, I got the normal screen and tried again and it worked.

Today I plugged in and I got the error again.

Any ideas? How convenient that it breaks right after the warranty runs out.

Didn't someone document some mods to make this a "dumb" EVSE? I don't use any of the blinks features.

Yeah, it's happened on and off to me for about a year. Every 3-4 months, I seem to get a few days of it in a row. Probably some combination of temperature, humidity, line voltage, or :?: triggers it. Powering the Blink off and back on always clears it. Tapping the screen as the error screen suggests never does. Called Blink in to take care of it while I'm still under warranty.

Ah now it appears I am having this exact problem, but I opted out of the extended Blink coverage so I'm now my own, and sure as heck don't want to pay for Blink support.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue themselves? Is it just a matter of relocating the CT's? Pictures would be most appreciated...

I am presently at 2.1.20120404B, E1.10

Thanks.

Ingineer said:
Move the CT away from the terminal block, and then re-splice the connections to the CT using solder.
That's exactly what the Blink tech did to fix my unit, except that he used a crimp connector to re-splice the connections to the CT. Two months and no faults. If you have any hesitation to do it, I'd try calling Blink anyway. They might well agree to fix it even at this late date, especially if you tell them it was happening before the warranty was up. The worst they can do is say, "No."

Oh, and if your unit has a "seal", due to a design oversight, the cover will slip right off over the seal, so you can leave it "sealed". :lol:

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Oh, and if your unit has a "seal", due to a design oversight, the cover will slip right off over the seal, so you can leave it "sealed". :lol:

-Phil

If I'm already out of warrenty, is there any reason to preserve the seal?

peter said:
If I'm already out of warrenty, is there any reason to preserve the seal?
There's no reason not to, the cover literally slips over the seal, so it's probably more trouble to remove it.

Also, if you ever sell it, you can state: "Still has the factory seal". :lol:

-Phil

Well Blink covered the repair anyway - seems to be working again (so far).

Only problem is that the ninja electrician came, repaired & left without even ringing the doorbell so I didn't get a chance to talk with him (or her?) to ask what he (or she) did...

turbo2ltr said:
I took the cover off, poked at the CT and it never happened again.

Any pics of the CT? What do you mean "poke" at the CT?

My Blink unit started to behave this way since a month ago. My current fix is to simply unplug the unit for 2-3 mins. Replug in and the issue never comes back for a couple of days.

But, it's been recurring lately....

Clipboard01.jpg

Unplug it before you poke. :)

I just moved it around a little.

mxp said:
What do you mean "poke" at the CT?
As Phil says, the proper fix is to slide the CT to the right away from the terminal block. Use some tie wraps to help hold it in place. Having the CT right next to the terminal block causes it to pick up some noise which looks like a ground fault.

When my Blink's SD card/firmware was manually updated, the tech did the exact same thing as Phil described for the same reason.

turbo2ltr said:
Clipboard01.jpg

Unplug it before you poke. :)

I just moved it around a little.

Thanks for the picture turbo2ltr.

@drees, thanks for the detailed explanation about moving the CT to the right away from the terminal. It's very clear now with turbo's picture.

Back