New Updates for Blink DC Fast Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blink

Thank you for your invaluable feedback on our DC Fast Chargers. Your detailed comments helped us identify a variety of issues. We want to let you know that we have taken action based on your suggestions and would like to hear what you think.

Here are a few highlights of the upgrades we’ve recently made to all our DC Fast Chargers:

Hardware upgrades were on your list of things for us to address. Screen protectors were installed to deal with issues related to rain, harsh sunlight and repeated use. An update to the emergency button allows drivers or Blink hosts the ability to reset the button in case it was accidentally pushed, eliminating needless down time.

New software has been installed. You may have already noticed a new user interface in preparation for DC Fast Charger billing and the ability to view your live charging status.

Please, get out there to test these updates and charge at a Blink DC Fast Charger. Let us know how we’re doing and post your feedback about your experience! Remember for a limited time, fast charging is free.

thank you for the updates. any word on pricing for quick charging or will it vary by region and if so, what about Western WA?

I haven't used a Blink DC (sorry too far away). I thought I heard that you cannot charge two cars at the same time, even when the 1st car has slowed down charging well below 20 KW. Is this true? If so, why can't the software direct the unit to output the full 50 KW to a single car, then if the output decreases below 50 KW, the difference is available for a 2nd car?

Reddy said:
I haven't used a Blink DC (sorry too far away). I thought I heard that you cannot charge two cars at the same time, even when the 1st car has slowed down charging well below 20 KW. Is this true? If so, why can't the software direct the unit to output the full 50 KW to a single car, then if the output decreases below 50 KW, the difference is available for a 2nd car?

I suspect if you're paying by the hour, the most "thrifty"of LEAF drivers would throw a fit if their charge was "less".

DaveinOlyWA said:
thank you for the updates. any word on pricing for quick charging or will it vary by region and if so, what about Western WA?
Page 28 of 34 on the Ecotality September 2012 quarterly report to stock holders which is available from their web site listed the DCFC projected rate as $1.00 - $2.00 / 2 minutes.
Will be a bit pricey, as my typical DCFC to automatic shutdown or 10/12 bars if I started with >50% has been 20 to 24 minutes, and would cost something like $10 to $24.
But the equipment and its maintenance is very expensive.
I suspect when DCFC has to be paid for, we'll all use it a LOT less.
And we'll probably do what you've suggested Dave, and never DCFC to above 6/12 or 8/12 bars.
DCFC is really fast below 6/10 bars, usually <2 or 3 minutes per bar.
The 9/12 bar and 10/12 bar often can take 5 to 6 minutes per bar.

Reddy said:
I think what you stated is correct, that the Blink DCFC can only power one of the two connectors at a time. Separate control of power to the two connectors would be nice. I don't know the details of how they connected the two connectors, but is likely only an open/close breaker (and relays for the control circuit) to each of the connectors.
Building in two complete current control circuits would likely add a lot of cost. Very unlikely that Blink or anyone would do that. Isn't Blink the only DCFC that has included two connectors?

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Page 28 of 34 on the Ecotality September 2012 quarterly report to stock holders which is available from their web site listed the DCFC projected rate as $1.00 - $2.00 / 2 minutes.
Will be a bit pricey, as my typical DCFC to automatic shutdown or 10/12 bars if I started with >50% has been 20 to 24 minutes, and would cost something like $20 to $48.
And we'll probably do what you've suggested Dave, and never DCFC to above 6/12 or 8/12 bars.
Well at a dollar per minute I'll pass. It has been taking me 30 minutes to get an 80% charge and there isn't any way I'll pay $30.00 to travel 50 miles. It just isn't going to happen. Even at $15.00 for 50 miles that's 30 cents per mile and I'll just use my Prius for those trips.

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Will be a bit pricey, as my typical DCFC to automatic shutdown or 10/12 bars if I started with >50% has been 20 to 24 minutes, and would cost something like $10 to $24.

Can you post a link to the PDF?
Are they serious ? :evil: :evil: :evil:
At these prices I cannot imagine that anyone but the desperate would use it.

klapauzius said:
That's right. Only if I were totally stranded would I pay that rate and I have never been stranded yet!

They build these huge, unreliable, gaudy chargers with giant plasma screens sporting all of the subtly of the Vegas strip. Then think that we will be willing to shell out 60 cents per mile to drive our own cars so that they can perpetuate this farce! It is beyond understanding!

Ecotality better figure out that they can't hold us hostage. There is real competition in town and it's sitting in our garages both in the form of our home chargers for 99% of our needs and in the form of our second cars for our remaining needs.

If this is the extent of their marketing genius Ecotality will be out of business in just a few years.

klapauzius said:
TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Here's the link:
http://investor.ecotality.com/common/download/download.cfm?companyid=AMDA-JNJLC&fileid=598798&filekey=35f4478f-c100-48b1-8838-c561b9f3852f&filename=1000_ECTY_IR_Preso_9_5_2012_Public_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blink - Thanks for taking feedback from drivers and incorporating the changes, and thank you even more for sharing the details here.

Blink said:
Thank you for your invaluable feedback on our DC Fast Chargers. Your detailed comments helped us identify a variety of issues. We want to let you know that we have taken action based on your suggestions and would like to hear what you think.

Here are a few highlights of the upgrades we’ve recently made to all our DC Fast Chargers:

Hardware upgrades were on your list of things for us to address. Screen protectors were installed to deal with issues related to rain, harsh sunlight and repeated use. An update to the emergency button allows drivers or Blink hosts the ability to reset the button in case it was accidentally pushed, eliminating needless down time.

New software has been installed. You may have already noticed a new user interface in preparation for DC Fast Charger billing and the ability to view your live charging status.

Please, get out there to test these updates and charge at a Blink DC Fast Charger. Let us know how we’re doing and post your feedback about your experience! Remember for a limited time, fast charging is free.

I went yesterday afternoon to see the new changes, but there wasn't anything different. I only charged to 89% (about 30 min.), and I went from 6 TBs to 8. The highest battery pack sensor was 108F.

ok that wont fly here. have heard mentions FROM BLINK employees of a subscription charge by the month that would be about the cost of a single charge you mention above. in high rate areas like southern ca or the SF peninsula, I can see those rates but in the NW? no way.

AV states a $2.50 per charge session. much more reasonable. they do need to go a step further and put a time limit on that charge of say 20 mins? maybe even 15 mins so the "standard" would be $5 for 30 mins. that is reasonable for this area

Back