Blink chargers refuse to charge my car to 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlutoISaPlanet

I've got a Blink charger at home and have charged at two public blink chargers over the last two days. On Friday I charged at a public charger and was in a meeting when I received a message stating my charge was complete ~2 hours after plugging it in. I got back to the car to realize it had only charged to 75%. I drove some 30 miles back home and plugged in at night. I have the timer on the Blink set to charge from 12AM-12PM. I went to bed and received a text message at 1:09AM stating the charge was complete. I woke up in the morning to find it only charged to ~82%. Plugged it in again and it charged to full.

Yesterday I plugged in at another public charger after driving ~60 miles and received a text message about 1.5 hrs later saying the charge was complete. Battery was ~65%

Plugged in at home last night and got a text message again at 1:19AM saying charge was complete. It was at 87% when I checked just now.

I have no timers set up on the Leaf itself and it's set to charge to 100%. Is this something that's happening with Blink or my leaf? How do I remedy it?

I believe you have a '13 model. That being the case I recommend checking two settings. First re-check the charge timer setting and make sure it is set to 100%. Second check: Blue Zero Emissions Button --> Settings --> Long Life Mode and make sure it is turned off. Having either one set to 80% will cause the car to charge to 80%. Additionally the Long Life Mode cannot be overridden by the timer override button on the left side of the instrument panel. I hope it is one of these settings; if not I recommend having the dealer diagnose it. Good luck :)

It sure would help to know which car you have. kolvalb's instructions are right for a 2013 SV or SL. If you have an S, the equivalent setting is in the "Trip Computer". In the cluster of four buttons in a square to the left of the steering wheel, press the top left one repeatedly until you see "Settings" on the bottom center section of the dash. Push the top right button once to highlight "Charge %" then push the top left again. Set it for 100%.

Ray

it's a Type 'S' and it's set to charge to 100%.
I don't have a blue zero emissions button so I'm guessing I also don't have 'long life mode'

thanks.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
I don't have a blue zero emissions button so I'm guessing I also don't have 'long life mode'

"Long Life Mode" is simply Nissan's fancy name for charging to only 80%.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
I don't have a blue zero emissions button so I'm guessing I also don't have 'long life mode'thanks.
The 2013 S-grade has long life mode (80%) in the settings menu, accessed using the buttons located on the left side of the instrument panel.

In the old days one would be lucky if the Blink unit would charge at all.

Apparently it is not just Blink... A coworker with a 2013 S is also having the same problem with the chargers at his condo. I don't know what they are except that they are not Blinks... It may be a subtle S issue...

EVDRIVER said:

kovalb said:
The 2013 S-grade has long life mode (80%) in the settings menu, accessed using the buttons located on the left side of the instrument panel.

ok. I'll reiterate it's set to charge to 100%

TomT said:
Apparently it is not just Blink... A coworker with a 2013 S is also having the same problem with the chargers at his condo. I don't know what they are except that they are not Blinks... It may be a subtle S issue...

I haven't been able to try with another type of charger yet so that's possible, I guess.

Not sure what to do from here. Guess I'll contact blink and nissan today. It occurred again last night. I might have to start waking myself up at 1:30AM to replug the thing in.

EVDRIVER said:
That hasn't been my experience. In over 2 years of daily use, our Blink unit has never failed to charge our car. Even when the touchscreen was whacked from a corrupt SD card, it still worked.

TT

ttweed said:
EVDRIVER said:
That hasn't been my experience. In over 2 years of daily use, our Blink unit has never failed to charge our car. Even when the touchscreen was whacked from a corrupt SD card, it still worked.

TT

Same here!

My home Blink unit always charges to 100% when I tell it to, and it shows 12 bars. I usually just charge to 80%. On those few occasions I've charged at a Blink QC to 100% it never really got there. The final few percentage points are exceedingly slow, so I've stopped it at 99% or 98% according to the Blink screen. Both times the car showed only 11 of 12 bars. The Blinks always seem to read the car's SOC as higher than the car's GOM or bars show. I'm not sure which is more accurate and whether that's intentional or not. In any event, it sounds like you problem is either something endemic to the S or to your specific car, not universal to Blinks.

You're correct. The problem seems to be related to the car. I'm going to continue updates on this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PlutoISaPlanet said:
You're correct. The problem seems to be related to the car. I'm going to continue updates on this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12678" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your link here points back to the top of this same thread, not a new one.

Is this the thread you meant to reference?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12813

TT

FYI, there is no way for the charging station (Blink or otherwise) to know how far the battery is charged. It simply turns off when the car says to. (CHAdeMO, on the other hand, does have this ability).

Back